Getting A Dremel Tomorrow!

Had to post this in PC Support because I only trust you guys around here AND this will be mostly be used for computer based jobs so without further chatter...

Have $100 to spend tomorrow on a rotary tool - most likely getting a Dremel brand one.

I plan on getting corded just because I can get more accessories with the cost than I can by getting a corded one alone.

What accessories are totally needed for computers/hardware modding/basic electronic jobs

I for sure want to get a circle guide, any recommendations for something available from Lowe's or Home Depot?

Thanks!

Nice. Im sure your goin to love it.

The only other thing I can think of to buy is some 3 in 1 oil for the dremmel head. Dont want it gettin rusty. Not much fun.

Already got oil in the garage

I'm on a quest to mod every computer or electrical thing in the house

So that's why I got the error, Dragon... :D

"I plan on getting corded just because I can get more accessories with the cost than I can by getting a corded one alone."

XX, do you mean you're getting a corded dremel and not a cordless? Making sure.

I LOVE my Dremel, although I've never used it on modding. Great for fixing my lousy mitering skills on wood trim, cutting tomato cages to fit around rhodedendrons, polishing ceiling lamp fixtures. .

Something to think about, though, if you ARE looking to a Corded Dremel, think about getting the few accesories that you will certainly use and spring for a Cordless Dremel.

I had a Corded Dremel until I lent it to Brother In Law and it came back broken, then Hubby bought me a Cordless one the following Christmas. I like the Cordless Dremel much better because the cord often got in my way if I was using it in a tight area, or outside, or in the upper corner of my botch-trim-jobs after being installed to the ceiling (no extension cords needed!)...AND accesories make great Christmas and Birthday presents!

Keep your Dremel Manual in a safe place--it's easy to forget how to get the attachments on and off.

And congrats, you'll LOVE this toy!

Liz

So that's why I got the error, Dragon... :D

"I plan on getting corded just because I can get more accessories with the cost than I can by getting a corded one alone."

XX, do you mean you're getting a corded dremel and not a cordless? Making sure.

I LOVE my Dremel, although I've never used it on modding. Great for fixing my lousy mitering skills on wood trim, cutting tomato cages to fit around rhodedendrons, polishing ceiling lamp fixtures. .

Something to think about, though, if you ARE looking to a Corded Dremel, think about getting the few accesories that you will certainly use and spring for a Cordless Dremel.

I had a Corded Dremel until I lent it to Brother In Law and it came back broken, then Hubby bought me a Cordless one the following Christmas. I like the Cordless Dremel much better because the cord often got in my way if I was using it in a tight area, or outside, or in the upper corner of my botch-trim-jobs after being installed to the ceiling (no extension cords needed!)...AND accesories make great Christmas and Birthday presents!

Keep your Dremel Manual in a safe place--it's easy to forget how to get the attachments on and off.

And congrats, you'll LOVE this toy!

Liz

I'll agree with Liz here: Go CordLESS: THis way you won't have to worry about the cord being in your way, or worry that you will somehow cut or damage the cord - My mom thinks I am crazy for wanting a corded drill, but I want the power of the tool, so I don't have to recharge batteries - drill is a power hungry tool, and if I want the power, I don't wanna be monkeying around with chargers.

Have Fun :)

Brian

posting from my cell phone. i will in cordless unless there is some fabulous deal on a corded THANKS ALL!

I have cordless & corded.

The battery doesn't last very long before it needs to be recharged.

If you have a chainsaw,get the chainsaw sharpening attachment & the correct size sharpening bit.

It will pay for itself the first time you use it.

Mine was about $9.00 at Lowes.

It sharpens at a 30 degree angle.

Lower the back end of the bit 5 degrees or a little more for best results.

I never could sharpen a saw with a file.

With the Dremel I can do pretty good.

It grinds quick.

Don't overdo it or you will grind the teeth down too much.

Congrats! Make sure you use safety glasses. I agree, you want the corded. The cordless works well for really lighty stuff, but if you are doing any heavy work you will lose power before you finish.

As for accessories, get the router attachment first and the drill press second if you don't already have one. It gives you better control than just holding it in your hand. It works particularly well if you are going to sand the inside of a port hole or other openings in the case. If you have a little skill, some tools and little cash, you can make your own attachments. I created a custom fixture for routing out of a $10 screw on collar that is sold as a chain saw sharpener.

<steps up on very low soap box>

While dremels are great and very useful for modders, they are often misused. Dremels are made for light duty routing, sanding, and cut-off tasks. If you are looking for a precision cut and detail, use a coping, Jewlers (my favorite), scroll, or jig saw.

<steps down>

:)

BH