How long has the programming projects section been here? I have never noticed it.

I have an idea for a project that would involve these elements: python, mysql, an addressbook, and calender. I know next to nothing about mysql, but would like to learn. I need to make a client that can access a mysql database. I would like to store my buisness contacts and possible a calender on a DB.

I am willing to cheat. If someone knows of an crossplatform(linux and windows) app that can do this already, please direct me.

Edited by shanenin
How long has the programming projects section been here? I have never noticed it.

I have an idea for a project that would involve these elements: python, mysql, an addressbook, and calender. I know next to nothing about mysql, but would like to learn. I need to make a client that can access a mysql database. I would like to store my buisness contacts and possible a calender on a DB.

I am willing to cheat. If someone knows of an crossplatform(linux and windows) app that can do this already, please direct me.

I think this section is fairly new, i made the suggestion for it but was told the idea was bad but here it is 0-o.

Anyways maybe this will help.

MySQL

Python and MySQL

Resources

Another

Another

Hope some of that helps

*Edit*

Oh yeah for tons and tons of Python Tutorials on pretty much any subject of Python

Go here

Edited by Naming is hard

In all honesty I need to start to learning some php. I would like to get some knowlege of web design. I am not sure how, but amaking a web interface with php might not be that hard(just guessing). As of now, it is just a thought.

Thanks for the links :-)

in particular, this one looks pretty cool

http://ibiblio.org/obp/py4fun/sql/sql.html

Edited by shanenin

Thanks. I appreciate the offer, but I guess I can test scripts ok on my local apache setup. I was curious if their was a way to run php scripts in a regular shell, like you can with python.

In all honesty I need to start to learning some php. I would like to get some knowlege of web design. I am not sure how, but amaking a web interface with php might not be that hard(just guessing). As of now, it is just a thought.

Thanks for the links :-)

in particular, this one looks pretty cool

http://ibiblio.org/obp/py4fun/sql/sql.html

Quanta Plus in Linux is a good web editor. It is a step up from using a simple text editor. You should be able to get that. :D