Mandrake 10.1 Official Released

Mandrake 10.1 Official released

I know not everyone is interested in this but I've read several reviews about 10.1 and find the changes mentioned very cool....alot of improvements in hardware support and alot more laptop friendly (not that 10.0 was bad).

grabbed my torrent this morning and should be done d/ling all 2.71GB (4CDs) in about 2 hours...can't wait to bork my system tomorrow...lol

Does anyone know about KDE3.3(good, bad, buggy, or different in any major way?) ...3.2 is installed by default but 3.3 is included on CD4.

you double posted....bad! Bad tictoc! Go to your room and play games! LOL

oops, don't know how that happened from edidting the first one. :ph34r:

oh well, I'm not really a gamer so I cleaned my room instead can I come out now?....lol

ummm....ummmm....no! Not until you've cleaned your computer as well! hehe

Thanks for the heads up!  I'll be downloading it in the near future:-)

hey hitest,

was sure the official was gonna be a while and figured you probably have it before me but saw the press release and just had to have it...next thing I knew, I was signing up to be a mandrakesoft member....I generally don't like paying for things that can be had for free (legally) but I really like mandrake and in a moment of generousity felt like giving something back...$66 for a year, isn't too bad to have access to things not released in the free download, not to mention, sooner than the free d/l becomes available....felt like a worthy cause considering they just filed chapter 11 too...lol

gonna be installing sometime today...look for the post that says "HELP!!!!!!!...mandrake wrecked my machine!!!"....lol

Thanks for the heads up!  I'll be downloading it in the near future:-)

hey hitest,

was sure the official was gonna be a while and figured you probably have it before me but saw the press release and just had to have it...next thing I knew, I was signing up to be a mandrakesoft member....I generally don't like paying for things that can be had for free (legally) but I really like mandrake and in a moment of generousity felt like giving something back...$66 for a year, isn't too bad to have access to things not released in the free download, not to mention, sooner than the free d/l becomes available....felt like a worthy cause considering they just filed chapter 11 too...lol

gonna be installing sometime today...look for the post that says "HELP!!!!!!!...mandrake wrecked my machine!!!"....lol

I think that is great that you're supporting a Linux company:-) I downloaded my Mandrake ISOs for free last tiime. Good luck with the install, I'm sure you'll do fine. I'll check in here if you get in trouble.

I've found a spare junker of a computer that's kicking around; I may try to put Slackware 9.1 or Free BSD 5.2 on it. Going to check the specs on it later today, see if the hard drive is big enough. It's an old pentium with 64 MB RAM, so I should be able to run a light window manager like Black box or IceWM. We'll see, Slackware beat me to a pulp the last time I took a run at it:-) I have one spare static IP address that I can use, I had a devil of a time trying to network BSD last time with my D-link router.

Good luck with the install, I'm sure you'll do fine.

thanks hitest....all went well but found myself having to remember how to fix the driver / firmware issue for my WG511 again...was surprised how fast I got it fixed though...(and did most of it through command line...yeaaaaa for me!!!...lol)..guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought ;)

the review I read on 10.1 indicated that the guy had the same wireless card I have and it set up seemlessly on install....what I didn't take into account was that netgear in their infinite wisdom made the same card with a bunch of different chipsets ...oh well, isl3890 is easy enough to find.

as for the overall install, it seemed to go slower than 10.0 but other than that pretty much the same.

I was gonna install KDE3.3 but have yet to find it...in the media manager, install disk 4 is labeled as kde3.3 but nothing listed to install it...seems odd.

all in all I had more problems with winderz, I was gonna just make this a mandrake machine but thought there might be certain instances where I need windows....reinstalled from the recovery cd and had to dump a $***load of software that comes with it did a little tweakin', installed an AV and firewall, defragged, rebooted and sat there looking at a black screen....grrrrrrrrr.....after a few times of selecting "start windows normally" it seems fine......mysteries unanswered :blink:

anyway, good luck with your install :)

oh, and since jcl will probably read this too....I didn't exactly get the hang on eht1 issue fixed per se....still fails but goes right by it.....checked dmesg and shows the firmware loads on the first attempt...that I can live with.

Good luck with the install, I'm sure you'll do fine.

thanks hitest....all went well but found myself having to remember how to fix the driver / firmware issue for my WG511 again...was surprised how fast I got it fixed though...(and did most of it through command line...yeaaaaa for me!!!...lol)..guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought ;)

the review I read on 10.1 indicated that the guy had the same wireless card I have and it set up seemlessly on install....what I didn't take into account was that netgear in their infinite wisdom made the same card with a bunch of different chipsets ...oh well, isl3890 is easy enough to find.

as for the overall install, it seemed to go slower than 10.0 but other than that pretty much the same.

I was gonna install KDE3.3 but have yet to find it...in the media manager, install disk 4 is labeled as kde3.3 but nothing listed to install it...seems odd.

all in all I had more problems with winderz, I was gonna just make this a mandrake machine but thought there might be certain instances where I need windows....reinstalled from the recovery cd and had to dump a $***load of software that comes with it did a little tweakin', installed an AV and firewall, defragged, rebooted and sat there looking at a black screen....grrrrrrrrr.....after a few times of selecting "start windows normally" it seems fine......mysteries unanswered :blink:

anyway, good luck with your install :)

oh, and since jcl will probably read this too....I didn't exactly get the hang on eht1 issue fixed per se....still fails but goes right by it.....checked dmesg and shows the firmware loads on the first attempt...that I can live with.

Hi tictoc5150,

Well I've burned the first two CDs of Mandrake 10.1, and am downloading the third one tonight. I had the third one downloaded, but, the download stalled so I'm re-doing it again. I plan on installing 10.1 tomorrow night. Going to have fun:-) I always like installing a new version of Linux just to see what's available with it. :D

Linux rules!

Hey Hitest,

Have to say I'm not that impressed with it, definitely buggier than 10.0, still having some issues I'm working on...nothing major but minor irritations that weren't present in 10.0.

guess theres some problems with mandrake update, went googling and found I wasn't the only one, but got that ironed out.

Can you tell me wtf Xorg is and was it in 10.0?...could've sworn it was Xfree86 (or something like that) but Xorg config seems to be the root of my graphics problem, no matter how I config, I can get maybe a couple screensavers work, oh and all GL screensavers, GONE!!!!..again, I'm not the only one complaining....graphics were great with 10.0, wth were they thinking?

To be honest I tried reinstalling 10.0 cuz I was so aggravated with some of the problems but that install would either hang or error out (not sure what thats about) but have reinstalled 10.1, 2 or 3 times now...getting to be quite efficient at it...lol

KDE 3.3 files all give an invalid signiture error when trying to install...not that that'll bother you since you're only going after the 3 CDs.

now that I've got some b!tching out of the way, it's not all bad news.

alot of new apps (or at least alot more than I remember), ACPI support works great with my notebook, definite improvements in the media players, GIMP 2.0 definitely better than previous versions.....theres more but can't think of it right now.

While googling the MDK update problem I found This Page...I didn't do the urpmi like it tells you because I thought that it would just download everything but I added the ftp sites in the media manager, the PLF and the contrib site coughed up alot of goodies...just in case you're interested ;)

you probably know about adding other sites but me being the noob, thought this was really cool.

anyway, good luck and hope you don't have the issues I b!tched about and if you do, tell me how you fixed them!...lol

Hey Hitest,

Have to say I'm not that impressed with it, definitely buggier than 10.0, still having some issues I'm working on...nothing major but minor irritations that weren't present in 10.0.

guess theres some problems with mandrake update, went googling and found I wasn't the only one, but got that ironed out.

Can you tell me wtf Xorg is and was it in 10.0?...could've sworn it was Xfree86 (or something like that) but Xorg config seems to be the root of my graphics problem, no matter how I config, I can get maybe a couple screensavers work, oh and all GL screensavers, GONE!!!!..again, I'm not the only one complaining....graphics were great with 10.0, wth were they thinking?

To be honest I tried reinstalling 10.0 cuz I was so aggravated with some of the problems but that install would either hang or error out (not sure what thats about) but have reinstalled 10.1, 2 or 3 times now...getting to be quite efficient at it...lol

KDE 3.3 files all give an invalid signiture error when trying to install...not that that'll bother you since you're only going after the 3 CDs.

now that I've got some b!tching out of the way, it's not all bad news.

alot of new apps (or at least alot more than I remember), ACPI support works great with my notebook, definite improvements in the media players, GIMP 2.0 definitely better than previous versions.....theres more but can't think of it right now.

While googling the MDK update problem I found This Page...I didn't do the urpmi like it tells you because I thought that it would just download everything but I added the ftp sites in the media manager, the PLF and the contrib site coughed up alot of goodies...just in case you're interested ;)

you probably know about adding other sites but me being the noob, thought this was really cool.

anyway, good luck and hope you don't have the issues I b!tched about and if you do, tell me how you fixed them!...lol

Hey tictoc5150,

To answer your question Xorg is the replacement for xfree86 as the newer distros aren't using xfree any more.

Well it took a few hours, got Mandrake 10.1 fully installed, up and running. The install proceeded normally, no surprises. Downloaded, installed Fire Fox 1.0, Thunderbird .8 ( I don't use kmail that often). Got sound up and running on the command line using the old sndconfig program.

I had a weird moment when I lost my LAN connection through my router, but, opened up Mandrake control panel and started up my connection again (forgot to type in my domain name).

I haven't had any issues with this distro so far, seems very stable, no video problems. Like you I haven't been able to download Mandrake updates yet. For me it's probably because I haven't signed up for Mandrake updates and paid my cash yet. I'm able to get a mirror list of update sites and connect okay, just can't download them. I'll try later, maybe fork over the dollars and sign up.......maybe.

They've got a newer version of Open Office installed, Gimp 2.0 is excellent.

It also has a newer kernel, 2.6.8., very nice.

All in all a very good distro, for me it was worth the upgrade. I hope you're able to resolve your issues.

Hi hitest,

so, I got bored and installed 10.1 on my desktop too...all is good with the exception of having to cough up $20 to linuxant for my netgear wg311 (but hey, it works great and no more headache from an atheros chipset)....I don't seem to be having some of the bugs I was having on my notebook but still no GL screensavers and most of the ones that are installed don't work, some work when I click "test" but when in actual operation the screen just goes black, others don't even work when I click test....2 extremely different PCs both with the same problems kinda makes me think it's a mandrake problem, not a PEBCAK problem.

I did find the GL screensavers in the available packages list and installed em' but they don't show up in the list.....really don't know what I'm doing wrong, or if I am doing something wrong for that matter.

you're not having these problems?

Hi hitest,

so, I got bored and installed 10.1 on my desktop too...all is good with the exception of having to cough up $20 to linuxant for my netgear wg311 (but hey, it works great and no more headache from an atheros chipset)....I don't seem to be having some of the bugs I was having on my notebook but still no GL screensavers and most of the ones that are installed don't work, some work when I click "test" but when in actual operation the screen just goes black, others don't even work when I click test....2 extremely different PCs both with the same problems kinda makes me think it's a mandrake problem, not a PEBCAK problem.

I did find the GL screensavers in the available packages list and installed em' but they don't show up in the list.....really don't know what I'm doing wrong, or if I am doing something wrong for that matter.

you're not having these problems?

Hi tictoc5150,

I've also found that some of the screensavers don't work as well. I'm not sure why that is. It doesn't bother me too much as I usually set my monitor to power down after about 15 minutes. I've got the screensaver called Polygons running, it's simple, some nice eye candy.

I still can't connect to mandrakeupdate, now I think I know why. This version, the community version, isn't compatible with the new mandrake update service. I think only Official versions are compatible. Maybe the next point upgrade will allow me to connect. Or I could have the service mis-configured which I doubt.

I still can't connect to mandrakeupdate, now I think I know why. This version, the community version, isn't compatible with the new mandrake update service. I think only Official versions are compatible. Maybe the next point upgrade will allow me to connect. Or I could have the service mis-configured which I doubt.

With multiple installs of 10.0 Community, I never had a problem with getting updates...10.1 was very hard to get to connect on both machines...I don't think it's a version problem (community vs official)...I just kept pluggin away at it, trying every server and finally got it to connect....betting yours would too.

a few days ago there weren't any updates, then the day before yesterday there was about 80 (security)..all buffer overflow vulnerabilities....no bugfixes yet.

I've also found that some of the screensavers don't work as well. I'm not sure why that is. It doesn't bother me too much as I usually set my monitor to power down after about 15 minutes. I've got the screensaver called Polygons running, it's simple, some nice eye candy.

I hardly let my mouse rest often enough for the screensaver to kick in so it's not a huge issue but I just like things to work the way they're suppose to....glad to see I'm not alone on this one...betting a bugfix comes out down the road that'll clear it up.

same here with the polygons...hehe...a little irritating that it reminds me of the M$ one though.

With multiple installs of 10.0 Community, I never had a problem with getting updates...10.1 was very hard to get to connect on both machines...I don't think it's a version problem (community vs official)...I just kept pluggin away at it, trying every server and finally got it to connect....betting yours would too.

a few days ago there weren't any updates, then the day before yesterday there was about 80 (security)..all buffer overflow vulnerabilities....no bugfixes yet.

Hi tictoc5150,

Hmmmmm........I've been trying to connect for over two hours now. I guess everyone and his dog is trying to download updates. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I'll keep trying. Good to hear you were able to connect. How long did it take you to connect?

I hardly let my mouse rest often enough for the screensaver to kick in so it's not a huge issue but I just like things to work the way they're suppose to....glad to see I'm not alone on this one...betting a bugfix comes out down the road that'll clear it up.

same here with the polygons...hehe...a little irritating that it reminds me of the M$ one though.

Yeah I quite like the polygon M$ rip-off, heh-heh :D Maybe the screensavers will work in 10.2.

Oh well, got to go try and connect again...........grrrrrrrrr.

Yeah. That's odd (that the screensavers don't work).

hmmmm, the same code on my laptop produced no results...just sat there like a $***

I think the screensaver problem is just a MDK bug but another thing I found was that I can't play "armagetron" on the laptop and I can on the desktop...this kinda hints at a graphics config problem but I set it to what I think it should be (not like there were any options, it wouldn't work otherwise).

Hi tictoc5150,

Hmmmmm........I've been trying to connect for over two hours now. I guess everyone and his dog is trying to download updates. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I'll keep trying. Good to hear you were able to connect. How long did it take you to connect?

lol....didn't take me long enough to make me go AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

after finding a server that let me in I still wasn't really happy with the speed and tried switching, that's when I started getting the errors about "this update_source is either misconfigured or unreachable ...blah blah blah....took a while to get it to work after that , even the server that I had previously connected to would give me that error.

I think I've had the best luck with the USC server, speed is better than average too.

this one--->rsync://mirrors.usc.edu::mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates

good luck ;)

Update

Re: screensaver issue

while exploring everything in the kmenu, I found k>system>configuration>other>screensaver....which produced this:

snapshot4.png

clicked ok, and all screensavers (including GL) are present and work with previewing yet still don't show up in the list via r-click desktop>configure desktop.

not exactly sure what this means or how to fix it :blink:

any ideas?

Update 2 (and yes, I have been obsessing and working on this since my last edit...not gonna say how long that was...lol)

I've only come up with a workaround for this but it does just that.

by unchecking "start screensaver automatically" and creating a xscreensaver.desktop file in /home/blahblahblah/.kde/Autostart

the lines for that file are:

[Desktop Entry]

Exec=xscreensaver -no-splash

Name=XScreensaver

Type=Application

X-KDE-StartupNotify=false

I assume the line "X-KDE-StartupNotify=false" is suppose to kill the splash screen...but I had to add the "-no-splash" to get it to stop

easier to type the code to get to xscreensaver preferences

xscreensaver-command -prefs

since there doesn't seem to be a way to set the time in which the screensaver comes on in the config, you can do so by editing /etc/X11/app-defaults/XScreensaver

and to anybody that cares, the problem with my laptop was, I needed to select "use xinerama extensions" in the hardware config for my graphics card....all is well

:D

Hi tictoc5150,

Were you able to connect to the Mandrake servers for free or did you sign up for a subscription?  If you did sign up what service did you get?

hey hitest,

I didn't sign up for anything other than becoming a mandrake club member, and that was to get 10.1 official as soon as it went official and to get KDE3.3 (which I can't install!...lol)...Unless mandrakesoft turned into an M$ clone and can identify an install by some secret product activation...lol......I didn't have to sign up for updates in 10.0CE or 10.0 official, I asume that hasn't changed.

I take it you still haven't been able to connect.....If I might make a suggestion, open "software media manager" and try adding as an ftp server -->"ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates" -->relative path to synthesis/hdlist "media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz" >>>name it "update_source".

I didn't seem to have a problem connecting just now to -->rsync://mirrors.usc.edu::mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates...might try that one from the list if nothing turns up from the ftp site I gave you.

hope this helps,

T.

Thanks for the suggestions. Nope, I can't connect to any of the servers as of yet. My mandrake update software may be mis-configured or I could be just trying to connect when they're busy. Not too big a deal if I can't connect at all.

I may re-install or wait until 10.1 official is released or the next point upgrade and install that. :D