I have Microsoft AntiSpyware, and I noticed I have ALOT of "unwanted" sites on my log. I clicked permanently remove host. [And] I tried that already but it still did not remove or block the host.

Examples: [600pics.com, besthardcore.net, lust-mature.com, sexpics.biz, etc........]

600pics.com

IP Address: 127.0.0.1

The host, 600pics.com , is mapped to your local loopback address. A local loopback address is a special Internet address, 127.0.0.1, defined by the Internet Protocol. A host can use local the loopback address to send messages to itself. This means that any web browsing to the host 600pics.com will actually be redirected to your computer.

What program do I need to remove this? Or how do I permanently remove these hosts?

How do I remove the Destination Address or IP Address 127.0.0.1 [from my computer?]

Please help.

You don't remove the 127.0.0.1. In your host file some entries can create exceptions.

A proper host file:

# Copyright © 1998 Microsoft Corp.

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

# For example:

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

#start of lines added by WinHelp2002

# [Misc A - Z]

127.0.0.1 phpadsnew.abac.com

127.0.0.1 gtcc1.acecounter.com

127.0.0.1 gtp1.acecounter.com #[server down?]

127.0.0.1 acestats.com

127.0.0.1 www.acestats.com

127.0.0.1 data2.activshopper.com

127.0.0.1 search.activshopper.com

127.0.0.1 www.activshopper.com #[McAfee.Adware-ActivShop]

127.0.0.1 etc.

A bad entry will appear like this:

38.115.131.131 server.slsk.org

You should post a Hijackthis log so the experts can guide you on removing any problems.

Read this How To Post A Correct Hjt Log

Then post the HijackThis log here.

Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

I have Microsoft AntiSpyware, and I noticed I have ALOT of "unwanted" sites on my log. I clicked permanently remove host. [And] I tried that already but it still did not remove or block the host.

Examples: [600pics.com, besthardcore.net, lust-mature.com, sexpics.biz, etc........]

600pics.com

The host, 600pics.com , is mapped to your local loopback address. A local loopback address is a special Internet address, 127.0.0.1, defined by the Internet Protocol. A host can use local the loopback address to send messages to itself. This means that any web browsing to the host 600pics.com will actually be redirected to your computer.

What program do I need to remove this? Or how do I permanently remove these hosts?

How do I remove the Destination Address or IP Address 127.0.0.1 [from my computer?]

Please help.

Thats not a log, and the way it reads is the proper way for that type of web site.

What happens is that your browser checks the hosts file every time you try to access a web page, and if it finds an entry in there for that web site, it follows the addressing thats contained in the hosts file.

127.0.0.1 is basically YOUR computer, so anytime your browser tries to access a site thats listed in your hosts file with that 127.0.0.1 loopback IP address, you'll be denied access to that site. This is done on purpose to protect you from those nasty sites that are known to silently install unwanted software on your machine, so you WANT to keep all those entries as is.

You do NOT want to remove 127.0.0.1 as the destination address, nor remove any entry that uses that address!!

600pics.com

Please help.

Thats not a log, and the way it reads is the proper way for that type of web site.

What happens is that your browser checks the hosts file every time you try to access a web page, and if it finds an entry in there for that web site, it follows the addressing thats contained in the hosts file.

127.0.0.1 is basically YOUR computer, so anytime your browser tries to access a site thats listed in your hosts file with that 127.0.0.1 loopback IP address, you'll be denied access to that site. This is done on purpose to protect you from those nasty sites that are known to silently install unwanted software on your machine, so you WANT to keep all those entries as is.

You do NOT want to remove 127.0.0.1 as the destination address, nor remove any entry that uses that address!!

Thanks, I finally took care of this problem.
Thanks, I finally took care of this problem.

May I ask...what did you do?

Just curious as to what you mean when you say "I took care of the problem"...there wasn't any real "problem" to start with.

May I ask...what did you do?

Just curious as to what you mean when you say "I took care of the problem"...there wasn't any real "problem" to start with.

Hi Dave, I just saw this thread. Marcus came to the HJT section to have "unwanted items" removed from his HOST file. Nothing in his log showed malicoud, but I had him run HOSTER anyway. Other than a few scrap files, he was clean. Now seeing this, it looks like it should have been left alone (oops). Fortunately, this isn't too large of a problem. (I'm assuming MSAS placed thos in there, I don't know--I don't like or use the app). If so, it may just put them back.

Matt