Gnome 2.14.0 Beta 2 Available

GNOME 2.14.0 Beta 2

2006-02-16 10:02.

"Can you feel it? It's getting nearer. Nearer. Nearer. You should feel it now. You should even be able to hear it. And see it. Look! Here it is! Another release full of yummy contributions. :D

We are pleased to announce the delicious release of tasty GNOME 2.14.0 Beta 2 (2.13.91) . This is one of the last delicate releases in the delectable 2.13 development series and represents a toothsome release

that is now API/ABI, feature, string and UI frozen. This means that we're pretty close to the succulent final 2.14.0 release. The delightful GNOME contributors are now busy fixing the most important nectareous bugs that are still out there, localizing the whole pleasant-tasting desktop or updating our scrumptious documentation.

You can still make a peachy difference and contribute to the shiniest GNOME release ever! Do you see all the stunning 2.13.91 tarballs? Go download them. Go compile them. Go test them. And go hack on them, document them, translate them, fix them.

The exquisite release notes that describe the juicy changes between 2.13.90 and 2.13.91 are available. Go read them to learn all the lovely goodness of this release:"

platform - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/platform/2.13/2.13.91/NEWS

desktop - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/desktop/2.13/2.13.91/NEWS

admin - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/admin/2.13/2.13.91/NEWS

bindings - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/bindings/2.13/2.13.91/NEWS

Beta Software - use at Own Risk!

The GNOME 2.13.91 release is available here:

platform sources - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/platform/2.13/2.13.91/

desktop sources - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.13/2.13.91/

admin sources - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/admin/2.13/2.13.91/

bindings sources - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/bindings/2.13/2.13.91/

Take a look at GNOME 2.14»»

Here's what the father of linux has to say about Gnome.

"I don't use GNOME, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do," "I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE."~Linus Torvalds

"Often your 'fixes' are actually removing capabilities that you had, because they were 'too confusing to the user'," "GNOME seems to be developed by interface Nazis, where consistently the excuse for not doing something is not 'it's too complicated to do', but 'it would confuse users'."~Torvalds

"I don't use GNOME, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do," "I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE."~Linus Torvalds

"Often your 'fixes' are actually removing capabilities that you had, because they were 'too confusing to the user'," "GNOME seems to be developed by interface Nazis, where consistently the excuse for not doing something is not 'it's too complicated to do', but 'it would confuse users'."~Torvalds

Heh, Linus is never shy about sharing his point of view. :D

I was playing with it the past two days its alittle prettier, and has a few new applets; but it won't play nice with my user accounts (root works perfect). For now i'm re-installing 2.12.3, I'll wait untill it reaches the main portage tree to try it again (I did see a thread on the gentoo forum where a user was running it with no major problems).

thats the nice part about linux though, you can choose what WM you want.

I personally prefer GNOME over KDE. To me KDE is only Eye-candy for the OS. For usability, I get everything I need out of GNOME.

I like running KDE and XFce4 on my Slackware box and Gnome on my Ubuntu box. In my opinion both Gnome and KDE offer good functionality. I don't really have a favourite WM, but, like the maturity of KDE and Gnome. XFce is light and fast, but, lacks features.

Edited by hitest

The 8 years I used linux and the 4 i've been using FreeBSD I've never used Gnome, I found it ugly as hell. I personally like the eye candy of KDE, it's functionality is great too. Even though I still use the CLI for most everything.

I am going to give kde an other try(I have not used it for about 1 - 2 years). I noticed gnome automatically started xscreensaver. To start xscreensaver with kde I had to add a script to my ~/.kde/Autostart directory. One feature I really like about kde is "klipper", the clipboard utility. I like it becasue you can save multiple items, and then paste which ever one your like.

The 8 years I used linux and the 4 i've been using FreeBSD I've never used Gnome, I found it ugly as hell. I personally like the eye candy of KDE, it's functionality is great too. Even though I still use the CLI for most everything.

No complaints from me either about KDE on my Slackware box.

KDE has excellent functionality and stability. :thumbsup:

I am going to give kde an other try(I have not used it for about 1 - 2 years). I noticed gnome automatically started xscreensaver. To start xscreensaver with kde I had to add a script to my ~/.kde/Autostart directory.

The screensaver knobs are in kcontrol somewhere. KDE usually ships with a superset of the xscreensaver screen hacks. The current Kubuntu version has some really nice OpenGL hacks that aren't (yet?) in the xscreensaver package.

One feature I really like about kde is "klipper", the clipboard utility. I like it becasue you can save multiple items, and then paste which ever one your like.

You should be able to use xclipboard under GNOME.

The screensaver knobs are in kcontrol somewhere. KDE usually ships with a superset of the xscreensaver screen hacks. The current Kubuntu version has some really nice OpenGL hacks that aren't (yet?) in the xscreensaver package.

You can just right-click anywhere on the desktop when running KDE and then click on Configure Desktop. Screensaver controls are right there. :D

i found a place to turn on the screen saver, but this just seemed to have a limited amount of kde screen savers.

i found a place to turn on the screen saver, but this just seemed to have a limited amount of kde screen savers.

Huh. Every installation of KDE I've used has had more screen hacks than the standard installation of xscreensaver. KDE has about a dozen more in the K/Ubuntu installation I'm using now.

Huh. Every installation of KDE I've used has had more screen hacks than the standard installation of xscreensaver. KDE has about a dozen more in the K/Ubuntu installation I'm using now.

I ran Kubuntu for a time, that is a really nice version of Ubuntu. :thumbsup: