Strange Prob With Hp Compaq D530

Well I tried looking up the beep code already but couldn't find it. Whenever my friend tries to turn on his workstation here at school it starts to beep. It beeps 5 times all the same length then pause and repeats over and over again 5 beeps then pause. I thought maybe something wasn't seated right and popped open the case and push down on some things. It worked for a little bit but then crapped out and started beeping again. And while it beeps the power light blinks with it in red (its normally green). Man these computers are so janked up.

In case you need the specs it's Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 256MB RAM, Integrated Video and Audio, Intel 865 Chipset. I'm not sure on the RAM speed or FSB. There is no HT.

Thanks for any kind of help. These things are droppin like flies and we need as many running as we can.

Edited by Honda_Boy

HP Compaq Business Desktop d330 and d530 - LED / Beep Codes

Pre-video memory error.

Power LED blinks red five times, once a second, followed by a two second pause, and five simultaneous beeps are sounded

Reseat the DIMMs in the memory slots on the system board, then power on the system.

Replace the DIMMs one at a time to isolate the faulty module.

Replace 3rd-party memory with HP memory.

Replace the system board.*

* Replacing the system board is an absolute last resort if unable to isolate a failure to any other system component.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Thanks I'll tell the teacher tommorow that there's a prob with the memory. Ah well ya get what ya pay for. The school cheaps out and gets intel based HP Compaqs they all break down quick. These things have had all kinds of probs. They need to get AMD machines don't they?

Thanks I'll tell the teacher tommorow that there's a prob with the memory. Ah well ya get what ya pay for. The school cheaps out and gets intel based HP Compaqs they all break down quick. These things have had all kinds of probs. They need to get AMD machines don't they?

It isn't the processor or computer brand that is the problem. it is the full time abuse the PCs receive at the kiddies hands. :D

Print that beep/light code page out and carry it with you. You can impress the class and teacher with your knowledge of the troubles as they arise. :thumbsup:

You kids need to start kicking in some cash so the school will have PCs that meet your standards. I'll bet if each of you offer to pay a couple hundred dollars to the school it would go a long way in helping. The CPUs don't make as much difference in the reliability as do the booger hooks that are banging on the keyboards.

Edited by sethook

Man I go as far as installing firefox every week to protect these things (deep freeze causes the things to go back to original setup everytime they are restarted). These computers really do fall apart cause the teacher watches everyone like a hawk. The things just crap out, out of no where. One monitor (HP 7500) started screwing up and was showin green mostly. Had to replace it with 6-7 year old dell monitor that the teacher thought was broke, and it works perfectly. This is what the school should do next time. Either get me or the CCC to build the computers. They'll have AMD Athlon 64 systems with either Asus (Me) or MSI (CCC) mobo's with nForce4 chips and eVGA (me or the CCC) or MSI (CCC) Video Cards. They'll have more than just bare minimum RAM (That's their biggest prob with cheapin out).

My teacher was claiming for about a week how her laptop was crashing - when infact her IP was locking on and not logging into the school network (not really crashing :))

She bitched and moaned about it, i'm sure all the IT guy did was change it over to autoconfig IP