Help! Laptop Is Running Slow!

Never use MSConfig to disable startup programs no matter what others have recommended. MSConfig is for troubleshooting purposes only. If you use it to disable startups and then run the program, you may cause what is known as a "memory leak" which does all sorts of strange things to your system.  And disabling programs and services with it can get you into trouble that only a repair install can get you out of.  Please note the warning found on the Microsoft site concerning MSConfig.. Instead, use one of the following startup managers.

What does   mean?

Because this popped up on my screen last week, and eversince my laptop has been running SLOW.

I think you should revert to an old restore point, then stop using MSConfig if you are....use a startup manager instead of MSConfig, if you are using msconfig to disable programs...

Though, I'm not sure if that would work or not; anyone know if restore point would work in this situation?

Never use MSConfig to disable startup programs no matter what others have recommended. MSConfig is for troubleshooting purposes only. If you use it to disable startups and then run the program, you may cause what is known as a "memory leak" which does all sorts of strange things to your system. And disabling programs and services with it can get you into trouble that only a repair install can get you out of. Please note the warning found on the Microsoft site concerning MSConfig.. Instead, use one of the following startup managers.

What does mean?

Because this popped up on my screen last week, and eversince my laptop has been running SLOW.

Er.. what you quoted is an exact quote from the Commonly Recommended Software, Links, And Tips thread. I find it hard to believe that that pooped up on your system...

Even still, with a slow running system, I'd post a log in the HJT area..

Matt

Never use MSConfig to disable startup programs no matter what others have recommended. MSConfig is for troubleshooting purposes only. If you use it to disable startups and then run the program, you may cause what is known as a "memory leak" which does all sorts of strange things to your system. And disabling programs and services with it can get you into trouble that only a repair install can get you out of. Please note the warning found on the Microsoft site concerning MSConfig.. Instead, use one of the following startup managers.

What does mean?

Er.. what you quoted is an exact quote from the Commonly Recommended Software, Links, And Tips thread. I find it hard to believe that that pooped up on your system...

Even still, with a slow running system, I'd post a log in the HJT area..

Matt

Noooo..........this quote didn't pop up. This popped up: "?npsbd" or something like that
What's wrong with using MSConfig to stop programs from loading on startup?

Refer to qoute at begining of post to know what is wrong with it. This is a issue that has been bouncing around since I can remember. Some say yes use MSconfig it is OK others (myself included) say don't. I do know I have had less problems out of windows since I stopped using MSconfig.

As for the post I would go back into MSconfig and turn on anything you have turned off then use the appliction prefs and or one of the programs like Mike Lin's Startup control panel or even Spybot Search and Destroy (advanced mode) to disable unwanted apps. I use Mike Lin's startup monitor to prevent items from being added to the startup menu. Some apps cannot believe you donnot want them to run all the time and try to reinsert themselves everytime you use them. This is also part of the problem with MSconfig, items like Quicktime can make multiple entries if you disable through MSconfig . You can stop it there but the next time you use it it it will make a new entry and startup anyway.

Preston