Ya know how there are a bunch of differnt windows theme changers and what not. Well i've never even loooked at them, because, well.... I'm a performance whore. And do any of these make windows use less memory? I dont care about the pretty stuff, i just want more performance.

Just my opinion, but Windows is optimized for performance (considering all it has to do). Any changes to the GUI by outside vendors is extremely unlikely to do a better job (that is, improve performance).

If you don't already have the latest greatest and bestest graphics card that'd be the way to go -- Buy the best card and you could use a 'skin' program and likely still see an increase in the speed of the GUI. (Of course if you bought the card and left Windows alone the boost would be even greater.)

------

Edited by JDoors
Just my opinion, but Windows is optimized for performance (considering all it has to do). Any changes to the GUI by outside vendors is extremely unlikely to do a better job (that is, improve performance).

If you don't already have the latest greatest and bestest graphics card that'd be the way to go -- Buy the best card and you could use a 'skin' program and likely still see an increase in the speed of the GUI. (Of course if you bought the card and left Windows alone the boost would be even greater.)

------

A graphics card change is not going to make any difference to performance in the 2D Windows GUI.

@OP: Most if not all of these programs are in fact quite bad for performance.

Its not the fact that i need it... i already have a gig, and im proud of my system, i have put years of work into it. With no income. I just want to because I can. I even have a plain back background just because it saves like 100Kb of memory.....

Just right click my computer and and click properties. Now click the advanced tab. Now where it says performance click settings and uncheck some crap you don't want and that oughtta speed your system up slightly.

OMG ASTON SHELLL ROCKS!!!!!!

Wow, i got it installed, it uses 4x less memory than Explorer, thats on a heavy theme, it boots up faster, got 70 more points on 3DMARK, thats as much as when i tweaked out XP.

WOOT!

LOVE!

OMG ASTON SHELLL ROCKS!!!!!!

Wow, i got it installed, it uses 4x less memory than Explorer, thats on a heavy theme, it boots up faster, got 70 more points on 3DMARK, thats as much as when i tweaked out XP.

WOOT!

LOVE!

You do realize that you don't have to run the explorer shell right? Just kill the process or disable it from running in the registry.

Better yet, why run any GUI at all?

I find it so funny when people try to make their operating system barely functional so they can be like, "WOW LOLZ OMG I have 5 MB more RAM available to do nothing with because I don't run any programs because they use RAM!!!>@*@"

Edited by aprior