Problem Solved! New Dvd Burner Doesn't See Discs

Hi all, I just installed a Sony DRU-810A DVD burner. I did the firmware update from 1a to 1d. I checked the device manager and it states the unit is working properly. I checked the driver to make sure it was current.

It will not see any disc I insert. CD or DVD. When I click on the drive I get "please insert disc".

Anyone know what is happening?

Edited by spirittoo
What software package are you using? You may also want to take a peek here.

The only software that came with it was the Nero 6. It was already installed because I have a sony DRU-800a as well. I don't have any problems with it.

I will look over the support site ..... hopefully it will give me a clue.

Update ...

I checked the link. That is for XP .... I'm running W2K will there be a difference?

Edited by spirittoo
If the DVD drives are on the same cable set them to Cable Select instead of Master/Slave. Also make sure you go into Device Manager and right click on each drive, click the Properties Button and uncheck DMA mode.

I'll try the cable select, but there is nothing about DMA mode when I right click on the drives in the device manager. Is it suppose to have this. I don't see it with either drive. :unsure:

If DMA is enabled it can cause burning problems. When you right clicked on each drive then Properties look under the Settings tab for DMA.

When I right clicked on each drive I get a General tap, a Properties tab, a Advance Setting tab, and a driver tab.

There is nothing in the Advance Setting tab except for the Region code in the property there is nothing but the cd audio controls and settings.

There is nothing about a DMA ..... nothing at all.

Sony has a drive test site, but they say not to use it unless the tech person tell you to ..... I don't see why do you ....

Here is the site

I even tried to disconnect my other drive to see it this one would work because sony tech support said they didn't recommend using two burners. Still the same results.

I think its time to test it.

I just noticed Win2k and XP are different. Sony suggests disabling DMA for those burners. I don't know why. Toward the bottom you can see that some drives will not be detected if DMA is enabled.

How do I enable DMA mode on CD and DVD burner drives?

Okay there are DMA setting for the IDE controller and it's set for DMA.

That's what's in the link you provide.

So that's not the problem. :wacko::unsure::(

Update:

I ran the drive test .... it didn't make it pass the start point ....

You are suppose to insert a blank disc to run the test, when I do I get this message ....

"Please verify that you have a blank disc in the "Sony DVD RW DRU-810A(1d)" drive, then re-run the test by selecting "<Back".

Sounds like this drive is indeed defective.

Edited by spirittoo

LITE-ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Sorry. Yes it sounds like the drive might be defective but a sure fire way to be sure is is take them both out. Set the jumpers on one for master and one for slave. If that don't work then try the drive in another computer. If that don't work well then buy a Lite-O*, I mean another one of those that you bought.

Sorry. I just have to say Lite-On cause despite the complaints some have about them (mostly noise related) I have always had good luck with them. Also, if you show up to office max the right day you can get a 16X24X48X16X Dual Layer Lite-On DVD-/+RW for dirt cheap. Got mine for like 20-30 off normal price. Right place right time. Went back in a coupla weeks later for other junk and saw it had shot back up. This is how I got my Wireless router for 35 bucks too. Right place(office max), right time.

LITE-ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Sorry. Yes it sounds like the drive might be defective but a sure fire way to be sure is is take them both out. Set the jumpers on one for master and one for slave. If that don't work then try the drive in another computer. If that don't work well then buy a Lite-O*, I mean another one of those that you bought.

Sorry. I just have to say Lite-On cause despite the complaints some have about them (mostly noise related) I have always had good luck with them. Also, if you show up to office max the right day you can get a 16X24X48X16X Dual Layer Lite-On DVD-/+RW for dirt cheap. Got mine for like 20-30 off normal price. Right place right time. Went back in a coupla weeks later for other junk and saw it had shot back up. This is how I got my Wireless router for 35 bucks too. Right place(office max), right time.

Any particular model you would recommend? Or just any model Lite-O?

I was looking at the NEC 3550A ..... the review are good and the price is good too.

well i can't tell ya the model number now cause I'm in my room and don't want to bother anyone asleep but I suppose any of these will do.

Lite-On DVD Burners

I think mine is the lower end one. I've had mine for a little while yet I still have yet to buy a black Floppy drive to finally complete the system and get rid of beige completely. ( I'm still using an old beige one from a 5 year old gateway)

well i can't tell ya the model number now cause I'm in my room and don't want to bother anyone asleep but I suppose any of these will do.

Lite-On DVD Burners

I think mine is the lower end one. I've had mine for a little while yet I still have yet to buy a black Floppy drive to finally complete the system and get rid of beige completely. ( I'm still using an old beige one from a 5 year old gateway)

I see you provide a link to newegg. That's were I got this drive. When I went to the site to get a RMA I was told I couldn't get an on line RMA for this product. I don't understand that. I can't call them until Monday.

Have you done business with them before? Are they going to give me a hard time about a refund?

Can anyone tell me their experience with newegg?

Edited by spirittoo

Lite-On DVD Burners

I see you provide a link to newegg. That's were I got this drive. When I went to the site to get a RMA I was told I couldn't get an on line RMA for this product. I don't understand that. I can't call them until Monday.

Have you done business with them before? Are they going to give me a hard time about a refund?

From the product page on Newegg.com:

** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.

Lite-On DVD Burners

From the product page on Newegg.com:

Oh oh ..... I guess that means no refund. I find that hard to accept since the product is defective. I should have a choice. I'll see what's up when newegg opens on Monday.

I talked with Sony Tech Support this morning and the drive is indeed defective. They told me they would replace it, but I would have to paid to send the unit to them or I could contact newegg and have them send me a pick up tag.

Thanks

Edited by spirittoo

I have exchanged motherboards with newegg that said

they have still exchanged them if they came DOA. I do not think they will give you any problem. From what I remember, I did have to get a RMA number from a live person. The automated system would not dispatch me one.

Edited by shanenin
I have exchanged motherboards with newegg that said

they have still exchanged them if they came DOA. I do not think they will give you any problem. From what I remember, I did have to get a RMA number from a live person. The automated system would not dispatch me one.

I'm sure they won't get me a problem with an exchange, but what concerns me ...... is this model a lemon? I read the reviews and most were good. I just hope it will work. I think I should have a choice though.

I wonder why they won't give a refund?

Anyway I talked with sony tech support this morning and was told the drive is defective. Then I got this email from another tech at sony.......

We will need to continue with some more troubleshooting steps.

First you will need to open up your Device Manager(go under your Start menu,

right click on My Computer, left click on Properties, and the Device Manager

should be a tab listed there)

- Then click on the + next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

- You should have a Primary IDE Channel, Secondary IDE Channel, and a third

controller(Intel or SIS or VIA)

- Double click on the third controller, go under the Driver tab, click the

Update Driver button

- The Upgrade Device Driver window will open, click Next

- Select "Display a List of the Known Drivers..." then click Next

- Under "Model" select the Standard Dual Channel.., and click Next

- The Wizard will tell you that it is ready to install, so click Next

- Once it is done, choose Finish

Second, you need to double click on the Secondary IDE Channel, click on the

Advanced Settings tab, then change the Transfer Mode for Device 0 from DMA

to PIO. Then click Okay

At this point you can close the Device Manager and any other windows that

happen to be open. You can reboot from here and the drive should work

without a problem.

Now the controller part sounds like a good idea, but I don't like the part about changing to PIO won't that slow things way the hell down?

Thoughts? ..... Comments?

Lite-On DVD Burners

First i'd disconnect the power cable and IDE cable from your old drive and set the new drive as master,boot to bios and make sure it shows correctly then run the tests to determine if the drive is defective. If it turns out to test ok then you know it's your jumper and cable configuration you need to correct. If a return is needed then just call customer support at newegg, they'll set ya up with the RMA.

First i'd disconnect the power cable and IDE cable from your old drive and set the new drive as master,boot to bios and make sure it shows correctly then run the tests to determine if the drive is defective. If it turns out to test ok then you know it's your jumper and cable configuration you need to correct. If a return is needed then just call customer support at newegg, they'll set ya up with the RMA.

What do I look for in the bios? What section do I go to? I looked before and I saw nothing that gave information about either drive I have. :huh:

Many burners work better using PIO than they do DMA. That is why I keep stating that the drive needs to have DMA unchecked or the drive will either not be recognized or function properly. It can very well be why your drive isn't working. As you can now see Sony verified it. Follow the directions and try the drive.

Many burners work better using PIO than they do DMA. That is why I keep stating that the drive needs to have DMA unchecked or the drive will either not be recognized or function properly. It can very well be why your drive isn't working. As you can now see Sony verified it. Follow the directions and try the drive.

I did as sony suggested with the controller (there are no dma/pio for the burners)and the drive still would not work. They confirmed it was DOA ..... now I'm senting it back to newegg. I'm going to take a chance and try for a replacement since most of the reviews for the drive were good. If that one doesn't work I'm going to get a refund.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let all you good folks that help me with my burner, know that I sent the defective one back to newegg. I had to wait a couple of days after they recieved it while they tested the drive to confirm it was defective.

Once that was done they sent me a replacement. I got it today and it was a matter of plug and play.

I have updated the firmware and have burn a couple of disc .... no problems! :)

If it's anything like it's sister the 800A it will be a fine burner.

Thanks again for all your help.

Problem Solved! :)