Heres the deal. My sub to McAfee runs out in November(used it for years). And I've been looking at Avast to replace my AV. I have heard allot of good stuff about Avast, And even recommended it to others who never had AV protection on there machines.

I would like to know from those running Avast what they really think of it.

I'm about 80% ready to make the change to Avast, so all your advice does count.

I used to have Norton but found it conflicted with my Zone Alarm. I then used the free AVG which was pretty good until updates started to foul up. (they have fixed that now) so went to Avast and have been very happy with it since. Avast updates itself whether you want it to or not and it also updates itself when it upgrades. I still have the free AVG on my system and update it periodically but I don't have it running at the same time as Avast. I recommend Avast highly. One thought though; turn off the siren that sounds when an incoming virus is picked up or it will scare you to death.

Bryan

Todate I have used Nortons,McAfee,AVG, Avast.

Of the two payed versions I perfer Nortons over McAfee.

Of the two freeware AV's I prefer Avast over AVG.

I used Norton longer than the other three combined because it worked very well.

I used Mcafee for less than 3 months thought it was the AOL of AV's.

After I dumped McAfee I went back to Norton's version2001-2004,after it ran out I tried AVG.

As much as I tried I could not config or get it to work very well and it kept trying to remove my home page :blink: so I dumped it.

Have been using Avast for a little while now and after a stutter or two on my part I have things running like I want.

Hope this has not been too long,it took longer for me to type it than it will for you to read it :P

And I hope I have helped some :rolleyes:

Allright, I'm going to switch then. McAfee upped their renewal rates and that is what was pushing me to switch. And have watched the postings about Avast and AVG. and thats why I was leaning towards Avast.

Thanks For the Input.

JSKY

I've had both Avast and AVG.....Avast was good, but slowed my bootup tremendously (you know today we want everything faster)....could have been something else....but anyway...the spinning icon in the sytem tray is distracting too...Switched to AVG....hardly know it is running....That's my non technical view...Really don't know if one outperforms the other.... B)

I used Mcafee for less than 3 months thought it was the AOL of AV's.

LOL

Never thought of it that way before.

But I uninstalled McAfee last night and installed Avast.(give me time to see what Avast is really like). So far it's looking good. And yes, it seems less cumbersome then McAfee. And I do like being able to change skins. Still playing with all the options to get it set up the way I like.

Agian Thanks All

I've had both Avast and AVG.....Avast was good, but slowed my bootup tremendously (you know today we want everything faster)....could have been something else....but anyway...the spinning icon in the sytem tray is distracting too...Switched to AVG....hardly know it is running....That's my non technical view...Really don't know if one outperforms the other.... B)

I have to agree with you there. I personally prefer AVG as well. I've tried both AVG and AVAST, but I found AVAST to use too much of my system resources for my liking, so I use AVG instead.

Allright, I'm going to switch then. McAfee upped their renewal rates and that is what was pushing me to switch. And have watched the postings about Avast and AVG. and thats why I was leaning towards Avast.

Thanks For the Input.

JSKY

You're welcome, JSKY (Is that short for: == "Jeezz, The sky is falling"? :lol::D

I have to agree with you there. I personally prefer AVG as well. I've tried both AVG and AVAST, but I found AVAST to use too much of my system resources for my liking, so I use AVG instead.

:D:lol:AVG 6 End of Life: Support WindDown :D:lol::P "Snort, snort, snort". :P:P

:D:lol:AVG 6 End of Life: Support WindDown :D:lol::P "Snort, snort, snort". :P:P

That's only for the PAID version. They are still supporting the FREE version.

:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D;)

but I found AVAST to use too much of my system resources for my liking, so I use AVG instead.

yes i noticed that too...

when im simply working on some papers without risk of being infected i switch it off and i can see the big difference in performance.

and with a busted stick of RAM,i really know the difference. :D

but then i like it for a FREE version.

updates itself automatically and frequently.

Well to be truthfully, Not having used AVG as of yet. After removing all of McAfee and it's added spy ware scanner and it's control center and all the other---AOL of AVs (chuckles to thyself) added addons. Avast seems to be running rather smooth. Seems less cumbersome then my old AV.

But since I still have to add AV now to my backup puter. I'll install AVG to that and then play with both.

sultan_emerr... No, not the Sky falling, Tho there is to be a lunar eclipse at 9:00 PM mountain time tonight.

I should have mentioned as well that when you have a system like my old one here, it can make a world of a difference with programs and your PC's performance. For reference issues, here's the specs on this old comp:

HP Pavilion 7845

Windows XP Pro

Intel Pentium III, 868 MHz processor

256 MB PC133 RAM

80GB Western Digital HD

(yes, that means I upgraded the RAM, OS and HD)