Move Files From Cdrive To Dcrive

i sure dont know much so bear with me please! i have win xp home , the hard drive is 80 gb, my partition is c 20 gb d 60 gb , the c drive is at 16gb and the d is at 60gb of free space , can i move things like photos and videos to the d drive? or do i need a geek to do it for me? thanks for bearing with me . jerry

Hi jerrys

It's very simple to move non-OS related data into another partition/drive. Simply make sure that the partition is formatted in the same file system as the data being moved is formatted in.

Using XP it is most likely in NTFS format unless you specified otherwise. Just create a folder or folders as you need, in the new drive and then right click the things you want to move, select Move to, browse to your new folder and highlight it, then click OK.

To move multiple items at once, click the top item then move to the lowest item in the tree and while holding the SHIFT key, click the last item. This will select all the items between the first and the last items clicked and you can move them by groups like this. Then do as above, right click and select Move To.

Done.

Dave

I have two seperate physical drives, when I "move" files it is actually a copy. The file is still on "C" and has to be deleted after the move. Don't think it would do that with you but something to remember if you did happen to install a second drive.

M

• 3 weeks later...
I have two seperate physical drives, when I "move" files it is actually a copy. The file is still on "C" and has to be deleted after the move. Don't think it would do that with you but something to remember if you did happen to install a second drive.

M

If you want to avoid the step of deleting files after you've moved them, cut and paste instead of using send to.

Hi BurtStark

Long time my friend!

Just to point out the reason I prefer using "Copy To" instead of cut and paste. I had an important file once that I tried to cut/paste to another partition and the paste function would not allow it to go there for some reason.

Then when I tried to paste it back to the original folder, it messed up and I ended up with a corrupt file. I was able to get the data replaced as I have 2 of the best data recovery programs at hand, so all worked out eventually.

Anyway, from then on I will copy and move so that the original file is intact until the copy is checked out, then I can delete the original file.

Dave