You Have Run Out Of Disk Space On Drive C.

My sons Gateway computer running W98se with a Maxtor 40 gig HD has just started to show this message.

"You have run out of disk space on drive c."

It then says to run disk cleanup, but it will not run. I can not do a scandisk or a defrag or get into

safe mode. I have not tried to delete any of his files until he comes in from work.

All he has is a white screen with icons and if you click on a program the icon disappears.

I think he had some bad sectors on his HD. I have run Maxtor PowerMax 4.21 and it says there are some errors.

I believe his HD is shot. Is it still possible to save his files if I replace the HD?

________________________________________________________________________________

Well, I got the HD today. A 40 gig from e-bay for $30 including shipping. Hardest part was taking this Gateway apart in order to work on it. Spent all day cleaning out old files and programs to make a clean install. Cloned everything over and it is working fine.

Just thought I would let you know I got it fixed for him.

Edited by tman70

It's possible the error message is correct and deleting some files will allow you the room you need to run maintenance programs. If you can't wait use Windows Explorer (or Control Panel, Internet Options, General tab, Temporary Internet Files section, Delete button) and delete temporary Internet files (really, really unecessary except for, maybe, cookies which will have a TXT extension). That may give you just enough room to continue performing maintenance.

Thanks for respondind JDoors.

I was able to do that already, but I still can not do anything else. As I said before, I have not tried to delete any files from his folders as I do not know what they are. I do know a lot of them are pictures of art he has painted on canvas and I will have to wait for him to say what needs to go.

Of course the FIRST thing to do is find a way to back up the data. Once you have that done nothing else really matters; the drive could be kershplunck, the OS could be trashed, once backed up you can even delete it to make more room for drive tools to operate, etc.

Start burning DVD's/CD's or if you can hook it up as a Slave on a separate computer and start copying files

Tried burning a couple of CD's but it kept saying there was an error and then it would eject the CD. When I looked at them on my computer it said they were full, but nothing would show and I could not burn anything to them from my computer.

I did finally get into safe mode and ran scandisk Standard. It fixed some errors and said it had over 95,000 bytes in bad clusters. I tried a Thorough scan and let it run all night. This morning I had this:

" ScandSKW caused a general prtection fault in Module KANL.386.exe at 0002:00002618"

"Explore caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.DLL at 01676bff88396"

Anybody know what they mean? I haven't as of yet found anything on them.

I could not close either window so I shut down and rebooted.

Now it opens up normally. I have shut down all running programs, except for bare minimum and have run scandisk Standard with no errors and am now running a Thorough scan. May take all day.

I do have another 40 gig HD on the way and will attempt to use partion magic or XXcopy to transfer everything.

Huh, looks like your gut feeling that the disk was going South may be right. "Bad clusters" isn't good, faults while running scandisk isn't good. I'd stop messin' with it until you have a backup plan in place. If it's goin' bad the more you use it the more data you risk losing.

You could probably save the disk if you had SpinRite from GRC.COM (commercial maintenance & recovery software).

Edited by JDoors
Huh, looks like your gut feeling that the disk was going South may be right. "Bad clusters" isn't good, faults while running scandisk isn't good. I'd stop messin' with it until you have a backup plan in place. If it's goin' bad the more you use it the more data you risk losing.

You could probably save the disk if you had SpinRite from GRC.COM (commercial maintenance & recovery software).

Making progress, but it is slow. Finished running scandisk Thorough this morning. It fixed some errors, but said there was over 2 million bytes in bad clusters. Thank goodness I have another HD on the way to replace it.

While it was running last night my son was able to get on the internet and transfer the pictures of his art to a server on a website so he can download them later. He was also able to transfer some other documents and cleared up a lot of space. I think he was able to transfer most of his important data.

I am running diskkeeper lite now. It will take a long time to finish I know. But I am going to try and clean up as much as I can so when I transfer everything it will be clean.

Thanks for all the comments.

have you cleared the recycle bid? On large files they still take up HD space if they are in the recycle bin. you can hold down the shit key when you delete to bypass the recycle bin If you need to delete large file and sure you do not need then anymore.

All Harddisk have errors on them keep a eye on it if the size continues to grow then you have a problem. I had a old HD that had at least that many bad sectors on it but in the 6years I owned it the sectors never increased so I did not worry about it.

Preston

Preston

have you cleared the recycle bid? On large files they still take up HD space if they are in the recycle bin. you can hold down the shit key when you delete to bypass the recycle bin If you need to delete large file and sure you do not need then anymore.

All Harddisk have errors on them keep a eye on it if the size continues to grow then you have a problem. I had a old HD that had at least that many bad sectors on it but in the 6years I owned it the sectors never increased so I did not worry about it.

Preston

Preston

Hi Preston,

I always clear the recycle bin and temp and cookies after a session.

I have got it running good now. I was able to scandisk both Standard and Thorough in safe mode. I have also defraged and ran all spyware and anti-virus. I am now waiting for the new HD to arrive so I can transfer everything before it does go bad.

Thanks for the comments.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

I remember long time ago, that was 6 years ago. a gateway desktop computer. Somehow my computer crashed on me and been trying to do something but it wouldn't boot up. so i called my neighbor to help me. he finally got a surface scan and found over 378 bad clutters and still counting. so i thought that the head ruined my hard drive.