Hi,

See a lot of you from G4TECHTV forums on here. But not the BS that goes on over there. Thankfully.

I posted THERE about my problem and got some answers but I feel things get moved down so fast that a lot gets skipped. Might be best to see what steps have been taken so far and then see if you can help.

Thanks

DICK

I saw your thread over at G4, and was letting those with more tech knowledge than me answer you, then haven't had time the last few days to check back over there.

By the way, if you still have a problem even after alot of answers on a thread there or here, just add another post to let people know you are still need help. That bumps it up to the front page to catch people's attention again.

Now for my 1 cent's worth of possibilities.

1. Isn't Earthlink a dialup isp? If so, then why is the never dial up box checked? Yet you say you have DirectWay satellite, so it can't be dialup I guess? You see why my questions are only at the 1 cent level. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I hope I do this image of your IE Connections screen shot correctly.

I am guessing it is something needed in here, and the answer from mikex may very well be the one.

screenshot--a.jpg

2. Did you check your antivirus to see if it allows IE? Firewall too. Since you had been using Firefox, perhaps one of the updates to either of them changed something to only Firefox? I am guessing here based on my Norton experience with it changing all sorts of stuff every now and then without telling me.

3. Also did you narrow it down to only one firewall ? the Direct Way one unless you can turn it off in order to use the XP one. (As I understand the XP one, it was only a one way firewall until SP2.)

4. By the way have you determined if you have SP2? It looked possible in the screen shot. Could have automatically happened IF you had auto update enabled, or ok'd any Microsoft traffic when your IE was working, then maybe caused IE to stop?. And as someone said, notebooks and SP2 have been known to have problems. Also some antivirus' also need special updates to peacefully coexist with SP2 from what I read.

5. Last idea, go to IE tools, Security Internet and custom, and check your settings there. and compare it with your other computer's settings?

It just seems like something somewhere isn't configured right or is turned off. The question is what?

Good luck and I hope I didn't muddy the waters to much here. :rolleyes:

P.S. I would take off the screen shot of what you have in the About IE, it appears to me to have your product activation code which you don't want swiped. Better safe than sorry.

God bless everyone.

mikex--

FF Options/Advanced/Connections

I went to FF/tools/options/advanced but no 'connections' in there.

thesidekickcat--

"1. Isn't Earthlink a dialup isp? If so, then why is the never dial up box checked? Yet you say you have DirectWay satellite, so it can't be dialup I guess? You see why my questions are only at the 1 cent level. Sorry."

I am a fulltime RVer. Sometimes I have to use a dialup connection. That's why I keep Earthlink with minimum usage. My main connection is DirecWay Satellite Internet. Right now I am my bro-in-laws house and using wi-fi from his cable connection. I use whichever is fastest whereever I am.

"2. Did you check your antivirus to see if it allows IE? Firewall too. Since you had been using Firefox, perhaps one of the updates to either of them changed something to only Firefox? I am guessing here based on my Norton experience with it changing all sorts of stuff every now and then without telling me."

I will try and check this out if I can figure out where to look. :blink:

3. Also did you narrow it down to only one firewall ? the Direct Way one unless you can turn it off in order to use the XP one. (As I understand the XP one, it was only a one way firewall until SP2.)

Still trying to figure out if I have SP2 installed.

4. By the way have you determined if you have SP2? It looked possible in the screen shot. Could have automatically happened IF you had auto update enabled, or ok'd any Microsoft traffic when your IE was working, then maybe caused IE to stop?. And as someone said, notebooks and SP2 have been known to have problems. Also some antivirus' also need special updates to peacefully coexist with SP2 from what I read.

I didn't intentionally install SP2 if it is on there. My IE was working last time I used it. Approx 1 months ago. (guess) Maybe I can do 'restore' to a month ago and see if IE works. Not completely comfortable with using restore yet and also not sure if/what I may have downloaded in the last month.

5. Last idea, go to IE tools, Security Internet and custom, and check your settings there. and compare it with your other computer's settings?

I put both of them side by side and compared. Only difference in all settings was the 2 Earthlink settings in dialup. Old puter has just one of them.

It just seems like something somewhere isn't configured right or is turned off. The question is what?

Thats my thoughts.

Good luck and I hope I didn't muddy the waters to much here. rolleyes.gif

Couldn't muddy the waters any more than my muddy brain does. :rolleyes:

P.S. I would take off the screen shot of what you have in the About IE, it appears to me to have your product activation code which you don't want swiped. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice. I never realized that was there.

Thanks to you both for your help. Hopefully this will get resolved soon.

DICK

My Webpage

I went to FF/tools/options/advanced but no 'connections' in there.

FF / Tools / Options / General / Connection Settings button

Still trying to figure out if I have SP2 installed.

Right click My Computer / Properties / General tab

It should tell you under System

if you configured your dial up password ad user name properly it will by default go to your connction.box and you can check it by going to -IE- tools internet options.-connections tab- and if it is configured properly that box will be checked by default

marty

I am so-o-o out of my league here to guess what the problem is. :rolleyes:

1. Does IE work on dialup with Earthlink? If it does then maybe that will help pinpoint that it needs a different setting for DirectWay.

2. Have you talked to the Direct Way people for their imput on how to do the settings?

3. Perhaps IE crashed sometime and is now corrupt and needs to be fixed? Mine crashed awhile back on the Leoville boards that had a new Google trial type ad system. Others there had Firefox crash, I think I was the only IE user that it happened to. Anyhow IE crashed, then it took out my dialup service too. I spent quite a bit of time with my CFaith isp tech support redoing the connection and other info, and finally it all worked again.

4.What brand and version of antivirus do you have? If you tell us, then whoever has the same one can maybe help you check those settings.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one member who has Direct Way. He might be able to help you with the settings. That is Marsh_Ox. He is a member of both G4 and here. Maybe you or someone can PM him to check this thread out.

P.S. I envy your fulltime RVing!!! My hubby and I would like to travel more with our Motorhome when we retire. Though probably not fulltime. We have discussed it but have decided we want to have a home base.

God bless everyone.

I use direcway. Not sure how to fix your problem, but I can tell you what my settings are in IE, and Firefox:

Firefox:

Tools / Options / General / in the Connection box; Connection Settings... button

Manual proxy configuration is checked

HTTP Proxy: 127.0.0.1 Port 83

Socks V5 is checked

No Proxy for: localhost, 127.0.0.1

IE ;

Tools / Internet Options / Connections

under Connections, I have nothing

click LAN Settings... button

In the Proxy server box;

Use a proxy server for your LAN is checked

Bypass proxy server for local addresses is checked

Don't know if this will be of any help, but it's all I've got.

Well, I did some more playing around and tried my Earthlink phone connection and IE would connect.

Then disconnected the phone, hooked up the DW and it would connect to IE.

Then disabled DW, enabled the wi-fi and whenever I tried IE the DW icon would appear in taskbar as my connection and IE would open.

When I unhooked the DW USB connection from the puter and then when I'm on Wi-fi I can't connect with IE.

Gotta be a clue here somewhere. LOL

Seems like IE wants to default to the DW connection somehow. Is there a setting for that?

OE works on the wi-fi but I had to make one change to send emails. Would there be a setting for the wi-fi (the wi-fi is hooked up to a cable connection) in order for IE to connect?

I know what I'm getting at and hope someone here can understand my highly technical questions & explanations of the problem. :D

I do not have SP2 installed.

tg1911--

My IE settings are the same as yours. Firefox--Mine has "direct connection to the internet' checked no 'manual proxy config.

thesidekickcat--

Using McAfee build 9.0.10

We have no regrets going fulltime RVing. We started the first chance we got, 4 years ago. Too many friends my age either died or became disabled and are homebound. So we decided to enjoy life while we can and see the parts of this great country that we didn't have time to visit while we were in the workforce. (Worked 7 days wk/ 10 hr shifts) Maybe we will meet sometime on the road.

Thanks to all

DICK

My Webpage

BUMP---

Any other suggestions/ideas? I tried to update my website--I use MSN Frontpage--and it was trying to use IE to update and it didn't work. I switched to the sat connection but it is way to slow for the update--about phone connection speed on upload

Thanks

DICK

On edit: Discovered I cannot download A2 updates thru FF. Have to wait til next time I'm on sat. which is slower & open IE.

I am so sorry that you haven't been able to find the right combination of settings to get it to work the way you want.

You mentioned you changed a setting to get e mail to work. Could that have been the factor that changed in IE working versus not when/how you wanted? Though I can't see why it would make a difference.

How about calling Direct Way, did that produce any help?

You say though it worked on Direct Way with the cable to it in, but didn't on Wifi without the cable? So could the settings for your Wifi be the culprit (I don't even know if Wifi has settings oh my!)? I am guessing here that perhaps you have to change default settings from Direct Way, Earthlink etc when you use Wifi?

But as I said before all this, even the guesses, are way over my head.

How about talking to others in campgrounds? Anyone else have the same combination that you have? If so maybe they can help you figure it out. Or the various RV boards might have someone who has been there done that so to speak? I have some links for RV boards if you need some, though haven't spent any time on them myself.

I sure hope someone can help you with this. Maybe Microsoft? Are there forums there to ask this on?

Do you know if your wifi works at all? What does it take, a special card? Are there drivers that go with it?

Come on folks jump in here to help on this. I am sooo way over my head.

I am still hoping someone here can help you though.

Good luck and may your fresh tanks always be filled and your dirty tanks always be empty.

Sorry about that one! Someone wished us that years ago when we first started rving originally with a truck and camper about 34 years ago, and though I have never used it before, I decided to give you the honor. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

thesidekickcat--

You mentioned you changed a setting to get e mail to work. Could that have been the factor that changed in IE working versus not when/how you wanted? Though I can't see why it would make a difference.

I can't see either. The change was made in Outlook Express. But only for outgoing email.

How about calling Direct Way, did that produce any help?

This only happens when I am on the wireless connection. It works OK with DW.

You say though it worked on Direct Way with the cable to it in, but didn't on Wifi without the cable? So could the settings for your Wifi be the culprit (I don't even know if Wifi has settings oh my!)? I am guessing here that perhaps you have to change default settings from Direct Way, Earthlink etc when you use Wifi?

Not sure if wi-fi setting would be the problem. Same wi-fi on my old puter and IE opens OK there. I still feel it is someway connected to an IE setting.

How about talking to others in campgrounds? Anyone else have the same combination that you have? If so maybe they can help you figure it out. Or the various RV boards might have someone who has been there done that so to speak? I have some links for RV boards if you need some, though haven't spent any time on them myself.

I'm parked in my bro-in-laws yard now. Only camper here. :>) I go to 4 RV forums but thought I would have more luck in a puter forum. Might be worth a shot tho.

Hi all,

Guess what? I tried IE on the wireless connection tonight and it connected. The only thing I have done different was I uninstalled my DW modem in preparation to install a newer model DW modem. Must have been a conflict between IE on wireless & DW. Whatever. New modem doesn't install on puter. I has all it's stuff inside and connects by an ethernet cable. Still trying to work that out. (See other post.)

Thanks to all for working with me.

DICK