My local DSL went out (due to a power outtage in my area)

And for 36 hours I felt like a caveman - I HAD to check my eBay auctions, I HAD to check my E-Mail

Then I came very close to hittin rock bottom - I was checking my e-mail periodically with my cell phone, and using school computers between classes

I almost hooked up the modem on my old PC and dialed up to an account I know just to check my crap

If any terrorist, or anybody wanting to hurt the United States wanted to do something good - Just take out the electricity and we're all gonners

Man I feel your pain.

My cable was down for 3-4 days this week. Damn cable comp. claimed I had viruses spamming the network. 1) Thats insulting to me! 2) The internet is my phone.

Needless to say I raised a bit of hell with tech support but fell short of getting any discount off my bill.

Why was your DSL down?

Edited by Bubba Bob
Man I feel your pain.

My cable was down for 3-4 days this week. Damn cable comp. claimed I had viruses spamming the network. 1) Thats insulting to me! 2) The internet is my phone.

Needless to say I raised a bit of hell with tech support but fell short of getting any discount off my bill.

Why was your DSL down?

They stated that due to the fact that there was no electricity, the dsl was down. Must be a mom and pop phone company that can't afford a generator to keep the Central Office up and running...

Man I feel your pain.

Why was your DSL down?

They stated that due to the fact that there was no electricity, the dsl was down. Must be a mom and pop phone company that can't afford a generator to keep the Central Office up and running...

No it's actually a company that does most of the internet and telephone in my 1/3 of North Carolina

Man I feel your pain.

Why was your DSL down?

Are you using BitTorrent that time??

My nirghbor have 2wire DSL modem router. It very nice, it have a nice firewall, a parent control and everything. So when i use his computer while he out to LA, then i just go to the internet then i got a message saying that i have a worm, Blaster-like in the computer, so i check other computer and the rest of the computers he have said that computer "AMDX" have the virus. so i was puzzled. IF he have Blaster, then why it not loading in the bootup? so my neighbor arrive home late night while i was at home and he took a look at it. so next morning, i visit him, he said it not the virus, it was the BitTorrent. Too many people trying to connect me to get the file, that what make the router think it was the virus.

Torrent minic the virus. Do you use Torrent that time

Last month,Bellsouth had a system-wide outage in my area.Lasted for about 12 hours. I could connect but speed was slower than dial-up. This is the only time its been down since I got it 8 months ago.Anyway,I had never disconnected the modem from the jack so I just used my dial-up number. And lo and behold....my dial-up speed was double what I had been getting before I got DSL.Almost a full 56K!

Nothing wrong with dial-up for checking email and chatting. Thats why most (if not all) Broadband ISP's have back-up dial-up numbers. Things happen.

My ISP has never had any major problems with downtime and with all seriousness, I've never experienced downtime except for the times my power went out or that one time I fried my cable modem...but we won't get into that. ;)

I've had so far basically 100% uptime. My ISP isn't a huge company like others, but it's really good. I've found that some of the smaller ISP's can tend to be better. The ISP is owned by the local cable company called Cablevision and the ISP is called Optimum Online. I got cable back in 1998 when it first came out (well my area was one of the firsts to be able to get cable for the home) the only time I really experienced dial-up was when I was really young and using Windows 95 with AOL, just to talk to my friends on IM and play Slingo -- I think that was the name. Anyone remember that one?

B

My ISP has never had any major problems with downtime and with all seriousness, I've never experienced downtime except for the times my power went out or that one time I fried my cable modem...but we won't get into that. ;)

I've had so far basically 100% uptime. My ISP isn't a huge company like others, but it's really good. I've found that some of the smaller ISP's can tend to be better. The ISP is owned by the local cable company called Cablevision and the ISP is called Optimum Online. I got cable back in 1998 when it first came out (well my area was one of the firsts to be able to get cable for the home) the only time I really experienced dial-up was when I was really young and using Windows 95 with AOL, just to talk to my friends on IM and play Slingo -- I think that was the name. Anyone remember that one?

B

I had Win 95 AOL and Slingo - I think I was 7 years old then

Yeah, I was about 7 years old as well - 1st grade(ish)

B

Good - somebody I can finally relate to as far as the computers you grew up with.

I always hate at work when some old dudes come in and talk about their 362's running 14 with the 909 when I can't tell if they are talking about guns or really old computers

Heh, yeah. I actually have the Windows 3.1 floppy files on my hard drive, just need to get some floppies (need 6 of them) so I can install it on a VM and play around with it. Not to mention I just installed IE 7 Beta 2 and it's not too bad. It's feel is a lot like Opera and it has some nice features. I'm still playing around with it. Not too bad.

You should drop by the BestTechie Chat - it's fun. Lots of teens who like PC's are there along with many older geeks. Plus we have some people who just hang around to chat. Very diverse chatroom. Come check it out. I'll see you there, if you decide to join. B)

B

I put opera on my cell last night - it's a lot better than the crap browser they preload on their - now i can visit REAL websites not just ones with text (until i go over my usage plan though)

I'll have to check out the chat sometime then

Cool. I'm usually in chat during weekdays .. 4PM til whenever I end up going to bed 11PM or 12 (Eastern Time) on weekends I could be in there the whole day or not, it's hard to tell. So yeah, definetley drop by, I think you'll like it. If you want to set up an IRC client such as mIRC or something we have people who can help you set it up, such as myself and many others. B)

B