Alright, i have a used 30 gb HD, i don't want anything that it has on it now, so i want to erase all of the data on it.

I want to use it as some extra storage, i only have 30 gb myself, so i can use the extra 30.

First, where does the jumper go so it's a slave?( i'm not sure if that's the right word lol.)

I don't know how to wipe it clean, help?

and after it's wiped clean, can i just use it then? or do i have to do something to it?

Alright, i have a used 30 gb HD, i don't want anything that it has on it now, so i want to erase all of the data on it.

I want to use it as some extra storage, i only have 30 gb myself, so i can use the extra 30.

First, where does the jumper go so it's a slave?( i'm not sure if that's the right word lol.)

I don't know how to wipe it clean, help?

and after it's wiped clean, can i just use it then? or do i have to do something to it?

The jumper is usually on the back of the HD next to the power connecter port. The jumper is very small.

you'll see something like Master, Slave, and CS under each set of pins. Remove the jumper from wherever it is now and place it on the Slave pins. Put some black plastic or something under the harddrive while you are working on it. The jumper is very easy to lose.

Once you have it set, install the harddrive onto an availablr IDE ribbon inside your computer. Then plug in an available power supply. Or install it in an external USB2 enclosure.

The harddrive should then show up in MY Computer.

Right click it and select Format.

That's it.

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

i'm not sure about the jumper, i think i did it right as long as the comp didn't boot to that drive right?

and when i format it will erase the stuff on it?, do i want fat32 or ntfs? and do i do the quick one? 1 more thing, what is volume lable? the name of the drive?

BTW, it's an old quatum fireball :\

Edited by inferiormeansme
i'm not sure about the jumper, i think i did it right as long as the comp didn't boot to that drive right?

and when i format it will erase the stuff on it?, do i want fat32 or ntfs? and do i do the quick one? 1 more thing, what is volume lable? the name of the drive?

Yes, formatting is erasing.

"do i want fat32 or ntfs"

Doesn't really matter if it's for storage. I think I did NTFS on mine.

I'd probably do the full format as opposed to the quick.

Actually, just for your information here only...formatting does NOT erase anything, all it does is clears the Master File Table (MFT) entries that points the OS to where the data it's looking for is stored.

All the data is still on that disk after a format and anyone with data recovery tools can access it all, it has to be overwritten to be truly erased.

Since you're keeping the disk for your own use, formatting it will work just fine for your purposes, as it looks like an empty disk to the OS and can be used for storage or whatever. If you were giving the drive away tho, I would use something like KillDisk to overwrite any data on it so that way you know they can't retrieve anything off of it.

NTFS would be fine but won't work in ALL versions of windows. You would have to take into consideration what version of windows that you would be using this on...

Actually, just for your information here only...formatting does NOT erase anything, all it does is clears the Master File Table (MFT) entries that points the OS to where the data it's looking for is stored.

All the data is still on that disk after a format and anyone with data recovery tools can access it all, it has to be overwritten to be truly erased.

Since you're keeping the disk for your own use, formatting it will work just fine for your purposes, as it looks like an empty disk to the OS and can be used for storage or whatever. If you were giving the drive away tho, I would use something like KillDisk to overwrite any data on it so that way you know they can't retrieve anything off of it.

I agree with the formating statement. Tis easy to recover anything in there. A wipe is the way to go especially if the HD will be given away either installed in a PC or just handed out. I find that it is best to go to the manufacture of the HD and download their little utility that will fit on a bootable floppy to do the write with. It can be used as many times as you want on the HD before you reinstall the OS on it.

NTFS would be fine but won't work in ALL versions of windows. You would have to take into consideration what version of windows that you would be using this on...

If Windows XP and 2000 will be the only OSs using the HD/Looking at it, then NTFS is what you want to do. If you want to have older versions of windows accessing it or linux, use FAT32 or FAT.