Aplication Assosation Firefox Under Linux

ok,

I updated firefox to 1.5 but now I can not open .doc files or java web start file (could before)

I did so before by clicking to open file with application and pointing it to the application. now I't gves me no chocie and says to set file helper aplication in prefrences.. problem I see no prefrence to do so in the standard edit prefrences or in about:config

I found with the install of ff 1.5 on Ubuntu, I had to have java reinstalled. I used automatix, without selecting Java install because I already had it installed, but it reinstalled it after installing ff. It also waited to update OOo2 until after the ff install. so I'm thinking that the linking needs to be redone by a reinstall.

Thanks.. I tried to reinstall, java works.. just not the files I had assosiated with the dialog box of save or run with..(java web start and oOo) so I will post a question to the mozillia board and see what I am doing wrong..

found the answer..

in gentoo (and most other Linux distrobutions)

in ~/.mozilla/firefox/default.5tc (the .5tc may change on version numbers..)

there is a file called mimeTypes.rdf

I added the extention I needed.

<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/x-java-jnlp-file"
NC:path="/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/javaws/javaws"
NC:prettyName="javaws" />
<RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/x-tar"
NC:value="application/x-tar"
NC:editable="true"
NC:fileExtensions="jsp"
NC:description="">

Edited by iccaros