My daughter's eMachine T1440 won't send a signal to the monitor. I get the message "Check signal cable." Had the exact same problem with the original monitor, and replaced it with a new Envision digital, and it worked fine for about two months, now getting the message again. Hook up Envision to my Dell, no problems. Will clean out all the dust (saw that on another post) but want to know next step just in case.

Which one would you try to replace first, video card or power supply? And, is the part to replace like changing a regular vido card, or is it where the monitor cable plugs in (inboard card???)? And, a good recommendation for where to get it (need low cost solution, I am an elementary school teacher...'nuff said!) Same goes for any information if you think it is the power supply...my guess is video card...but I am just good enough to mess things up :blink:

Thanks for your help!

:thumbsup:

Mario

Is the PC still running ok then the monitor displays the Check signal cable on your screen. (lights on hhd light flickering, any sound from the fans)?

I would think if everything else seems to be running, them your on-board card might be the culprit.

Give it a cleaning and see if your type has a small cooling fan on it. It could be plugged up and your graphics is overheating. Or it might be going out (or already gone).

A good graphics card is not that expensive. (unless your going for game play. That could get expensive fast).

another thing, after you install a new card. you might have to check in your bios or on the mobo to see if there is a setting or pin-change to disable the onboard device.

You can find a good graphics card almost anywhere. Including a bigger K or Wallmart store or local computer store

Edited by JSKY

eMachines are prone to PSU and Motherboard problems so...

When you press power can you hear anything (fans turning/hard drive spinning?)

If so, it is your video

If not, it is most likely a bad power supply, you can get a good one on Newegg for $30

eMachines are prone to PSU and Motherboard problems

Power supplies.....yes.I've had several Emachines over the years,and worked on a bunch more. Never have I had to replace a motherboard.Not once. Never had onboard video or sound go bad. Ever.

To the original poster...you might as well go ahead and replace the power supply now...you will have to eventually.

Borrow a Video card from a friend or another computer,test it and see if this solves the problem,before you buy one.

I still can't figure why people bash eMachines. Personally I prefer to build my own, but if someone asked me for a value system, i'd tell em eMachine. I have had one for a about 2 years that I just gave away to someone. i actually recieved it used. it is now 6 years old pushin 7 and it has it's original PSU and mobo. only defective parts that were replaced was the hard drive. my friend seemed to have SHATTERD that drive. I would shake it and it would rattle big time.

As for your prob, like HPoirot36 said try another video card but don't just immediately buy one. borrow and test one first if you don't already have one to test. I have 3 or 4 spares on hand to use in situations like that. I also have loads of network cards.

eMachines are prone to PSU and Motherboard problems

Power supplies.....yes.I've had several Emachines over the years,and worked on a bunch more. Never have I had to replace a motherboard.Not once. Never had onboard video or sound go bad. Ever.

To the original poster...you might as well go ahead and replace the power supply now...you will have to eventually.

Borrow a Video card from a friend or another computer,test it and see if this solves the problem,before you buy one.

I've never heard of any MOBO issues either. They do then to eat Powersupplies.

Is the PC still running ok then the monitor displays the Check signal cable on your screen.

No, the problem happens at start up...

No, don't have an extra video card, but gaming is not an issue...and I do hear the fan whirling, but will do the big clean first...

When you press power can you hear anything (fans turning/hard drive spinning?)

Yes, I hear the fans turning, but will still try the big clean-up...

Still would like to know

is the part to replace like changing a regular video card, or is it where the monitor cable plugs in...

Where is the onboard card? And where is the power supply? Instructions or diagrams, where do I find the pictures to go with your words (online?)

Thanks for all your quick responses!!!

The onboard card (if it IS onboard) is not really a card at all.. it is built into the motherboard. If the monitor connection on the back of the computer is in the same place as all of the other ports (USB,parallel,etc) it is onboard.

The power supply is the large metal box with the power connectors (cords) coming out of it. Should be at the top,against the back of the computer. Your power cord plugs into it.

However, I am beginning to think that if you don't know enough about computers to know what the power supply is,maybe you need to take it to someone who does.

Edited by HPoirot36

That eMachine has onboard video. Go to a local mom & pop computer repair shop and have them fix it. An elementary teacher should be able to afford $100.00 to $150.00 for parts and labor. If you cannot find a reasonable shop ask around school what kids are good at repairing computers.

Which one would you try to replace first, video card or power supply? And, is the part to replace like changing a regular vido card, or is it where the monitor cable plugs in (inboard card???)? And, a good recommendation for where to get it (need low cost solution, I am an elementary school teacher...'nuff said!) Same goes for any information if you think it is the power supply...my guess is video card...but I am just good enough to mess things up :blink:

Mario

You can get a eVGA FX5500 Video card from Tigerdirect for less then $50 after rebate http://tinyurl.com/89hy8 and it runs on a 250W Power supply (Minimum recq) There very EZ to install http://directron.com/howtovideo.html You may need to upgrade to a bigger Power Supply later but I wouldn't worry about that now..If you get a new vid card then don't forget to disable the onboard video

http://www.pixpond.com/1/13yjgbg.jpg Hope this info helps..

Edited by kidcnote

First, thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I knew what a power supply was, but just wanted to be sure. And, although I am not a techie, I have upgraded memory, change audio cards, etc. so there is no call for any insults

However, I am beginning to think that if you don't know enough about computers to know what the power supply is,maybe you need to take it to someone who does.

As for what a teacher can afford, if you work in SC as a teacher, after you look at all the extra time I put in, I probably earn a buck 35 an hour so please, be nice!

If I understand correctly, install a new video card, and disable the onboard through device manager...will try it and get back to you all...

First, thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I knew what a power supply was, but just wanted to be sure. And, although I am not a techie, I have upgraded memory, change audio cards, etc. so there is no call for any insults

As for what a teacher can afford, if you work in SC as a teacher, after you look at all the extra time I put in, I probably earn a buck 35 an hour so please, be nice!

If I understand correctly, install a new video card, and disable the onboard through device manager...will try it and get back to you all...

I'm sorry I didn't mean that as an insult. From your posts,it really seemed like you didn't know anything about computers.

Power supplies are easy to find. Tiger Direct,NewEgg,etc. Locally,I think even Circuit City has a few. I live in the country and don't have a credit card so I buy mine on ebay (new,of course) and so far,have been very happy with the ones I have bought. Got one in an old EMachines right now that I paid $13 for,and after 2 years,still running fine.

Just be sure to get the right size. I've never had to use a special size on an EMachine but I always get the micro-atx. Installation is simple. Unplug the old one,unscrew the mounting screws...put in the new one,plug everything back in the way it was.

Edited by HPoirot36

HPoirot,

No offense meant, none taken! :D I guess I did sound like an idiot...so, I will try to emulate you and find the power supply, since it sounds from what I read here and elsewhere that it is an inevitable problem...and if I get one for $13, that woudl suit this poor boy's budget nicely.

I'll let all you kind folks know what the result was in a few days! :thumbsup:

As far as people saying they've never had problem with eMachine motherboards - you're lucky

I work at one of those "mom and pop computer stores" and with eMachines it's either the PSU or the MOBO

I'd say 80% it's the Power supply, and 20% Motherboard problems

Maybe I just don't get the easy fixes :blink:

Ordered the video card...Thanks kidcnote...now, what about the cost of the power supply and where should I buy it?

This is where I got mine. http://www.pixpond.com/1/45sykh.jpg (See your T1440 Number there on the bottom right) As with your e-machine, my T2200 also has the standard 250W..I upgraded to a 400W - 450 Max replacment for $39 as shown in the picture.. http://store.911forpcs.com/911forpcs/frshbeatposu.html I upgraded to 400W because I added a FX5500 vid card and a Creative X-Fi so I'm glad now I did.. The FX 5500 will run on 250W. No problems with the Power Supply box size as it's the same. Comes with a good warrenty..Free shipping.. Only 5 wires to hook up so it was fast..I'll save the old 250W for hard times..;O/

Edited by kidcnote