Where Are My Inf Files?

I bought a new laptop, mainy for business. Since I now am servicing windows machines for a living, i figured it would be best to just use windows(that is the only way you will learn). I may get anxious and put linux on this laptop also. I have the atheros ar5005g wifi adapter. From what I have read, the madwifi driver should work. Just for fun, I thought I may try ndiswrapper also. Here is my question, I am unable to find the inf driver file on my windows machine. Isn't this needed to use ndiswrapper? Where can I get these needed files?

in order to get those you will first need to show hidden files/folders. to do that click on My computer then click on tools choose folder options. clik on teh view tab and look for show hidden files/folders and mark the radio button next to it.

now you need to navigate to C:\Windows\Inf

hope thats what you're looking for.

thanks :-) that seems like the right area to look. I am not sure what inf file I need. I will google for a while and see what I can find.

while googling I found a reference that the madwifi driver only works through the ar5004g chipset. I have the ar5005g. I suppose I will just need to install linux and find out.

thanks :-) that seems like the right area to look. I am not sure what inf file I need. I will google for a while and see what I can find.

while googling I found a reference that the madwifi driver only works through the ar5004g chipset. I have the ar5005g. I suppose I will just need to install linux and find out.

I service winders computers all the time.. no nee to run it.. :D

I decided to start installing gentoo this evening. None the less, I need to spend more time with windows, it is the only way I will learn.

I kave a Netgear wg111t usb adapter that I believe has the same chip. I am using Ndiswrapper 1.4 with these inf's

root@ubuntu:/home/naraku # ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
athfmwdl driver present
netwg11t driver present, hardware present

I dont know if they will work for your card but it is worth a try, they deffinately work for my adapter. You will need to load the athfmwdl.inf first. You can get the inf's from Netgear.com

thanks for the suggestion, I will definetly try them(netgear inf's).

I am kind of annoyed, I downloaded knoppix 3.9, I am not sure what version is considered stable, I thought knoppix-4.0 is still beta. None the less, it is not using dma with my toshiba laptop. PIO mode sucks, multitasking is almost non existant.

edit added later//

I just tried verision 3.8, it did not seem to solve the problem. I think I have an option to boot with a 2.4 series kernel, that might fix the problem

knoppix@1[knoppix]$ su
root@1[knoppix]# hdparm -d /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
using_dma = 0 (off)
root@1[knoppix]# hdparm -d /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
using_dma = 0 (off)
root@1[knoppix]#

edit added later//

it turns out you need to enable dma at boot, or turn it on later using hdparm. I seems like a bad idea to disable dma by default.

Edited by shanenin
As a test, I turned off my wireless security and was able to connect using the madwifi driver. I know the madwifi has some docs on thier wiki for setting up wpa.

gentoo has a wpa supplicant

To use wpa_supplicant-0.3.9 you must create the configuration file

* /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

* Please notice that the ipw2100 driver has changed name

* to ipw, meaning you will need to specify -Dipw to wpa_supplicant

* An example configuration file has been installed as

* /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.example

* Please note that the wpa_supplicant init script has been

* removed in favor of sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.x

this is for the ipw2100 driver but shoudl give you an ideal

I will definately setup wpa later. In the shortterm I set of wep. It was as easy as this

iwconfig ath0 essid "linksys" key <wep key here>

to hook to an open network you just leave off the key option

iwconfig ath0 essid "linksys"