11 Myths Of Surge Protection

"Just as modern switch-mode power supplies compensate spontaneously for voltage variations, they also naturally attenuate common-mode noise (i.e., voltage differences between the neutral and ground lines). Desktop computers have five orders of magnitude of common-mode noise attenuation built-in, from the EMI/RFI filter and the high frequency isolation transformer in the power supply. Low-voltage, low-frequency ground potential differences will not cause disruption or damage, because the primary cause of disruption is coupling, which depends on frequency and amplitude. Computers are inherently immune to common-mode disturbances below a certain threshold, but problems occur when high- enregy incoming normal=mode surges (i.e., differences between the hot and neutral lines) are converted to common-mode surges by the action of shunt surge suppressors. Surges originating from outside your building are always normal mode, since neutral and safety ground lines are tied together to an earth ground at the service entrance. Keeping shunt surge suppressors off circuits powering computers will eliminate the conversion from normal mode to common mode."

I've been saying that for years!

No I haven't, I didn't understand 90% of that site. :wacko:

Errr, so do we, or don't we? I had a TV fry once from a lightening strike that killed a tree in the yard. The surge fused the circuit breaker on the TV and cooked it.

I'm not that worried about surges, I do have a Belkin that covers up to $10,000. (*wonders how long it takes to collect) My fear is the hard shut downs..... The ones that damage sectors of the HDD and knocks out bits and pieces of software.... Making them unstable or unuseable.