Ubuntu Not Starting Right...

is this on the 64 bit machine??

if it is it could be caused by the same hardware incompatability that you are running into with the Radeon card you have.

Hotplug lets you plug in new devices and use them immediately. That means that users won't need to learn so much system administration; systems will at least partially autoconfigure themselves. Initially, hotplug included support for USB and PCI (Cardbus) devices, and could automatically configure some common network interfaces.

For some reason I'm having a hard time getting into the Ubuntu forums, I know I have seen solutions there for this problem. as soon as I can get in I will post a link to the topic for you, unless someone else can get in before me and post it.

if it is it could be caused by the same hardware incompatability that you are running into with the Radeon card you have.

Hotplug lets you plug in new devices and use them immediately. That means that users won't need to learn so much system administration; systems will at least partially autoconfigure themselves. Initially, hotplug included support for USB and PCI (Cardbus) devices, and could automatically configure some common network interfaces.

For some reason I'm having a hard time getting into the Ubuntu forums, I know I have seen solutions there for this problem. as soon as I can get in I will post a link to the topic for you, unless someone else can get in before me and post it.

I read in irc #ubuntu something about forum reached it user limits. I thtink they weretalking about the ubuntu forums.

M

I read in irc #ubuntu something about forum reached it user limits. I thtink they weretalking about the ubuntu forums.

M

no, its not a 64 bit machine, also its not the same one that i posted about before(sorry for not clerifing that) so im not sure the graphics card in it.

in terminal type the following:

lspci

Then copy and paste that in the next post here. we'll figure out what card you have.

ok, nothing happened... but now i have a problem, on my laptop its like function is locked in the on position, would it because i click num lock on or gDesklets or something...? or osmething from automatix, if so how do i turn it off? or uninstall or waht ever?

Edited by frank
what do mean "nothing happened"? Did you at least get an error? You may have to type the full path, try this

/sbin/lspci

ok i will but do you know why the function button is like locked on(ITS REALLY ANNOYING I CANT TYPE!), i think it is software....how would i uninstall it and waht would it be..?

what do mean "nothing happened"? Did you at least get an error? You may have to type the full path, try this

/sbin/lspci

ok i will but do you know why the function button is like locked on(ITS REALLY ANNOYING I CANT TYPE!), i think it is software....how would i uninstall it and waht would it be..?

it sounds like you picked the wrong lang keyboard.. with the wrong keyboard you will not get the correct keys when you type.

which disk did you use to install? full name of download.

/sbin/lspci

it sounds like you picked the wrong lang keyboard.. with the wrong keyboard you will not get the correct keys when you type.

which disk did you use to install? full name of download.

it was working before i installed automatix, or do you mean which automatix did i install? ok i got it from...

type the following in a terminal

CODE

wget http://beerorkid.com/automatix/automatix-u..._4.4-2_i386.deb

after it has downloaded it type this next

CODE

sudo dpkg -i automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb

there ya go you just installed it. then go to applications>system tools>automatix

then run check what you want to run(DRAGON TOLD ME TO DO THAT...)

Edited by frank

Automatix has no programming in it that would affect the function lock. I'm wondering though, did you by chance have it set up the numlock to kick in at startup like windows does on desktops??

a slow research in the ubuntu forums has pointed to this possibily being the culprit to the function lock issue. Let me know and we will see what we can do for ya.

Automatix has no programming in it that would affect the function lock. I'm wondering though, did you by chance have it set up the numlock to kick in at startup like windows does on desktops??

a slow research in the ubuntu forums has pointed to this possibily being the culprit to the function lock issue. Let me know and we will see what we can do for ya.

i might have how do i get rid of it(numlock)?

I recieved your PM, so here is the fix so that everyone who might run into this can fix it.

it has been discovered that this is related to the numlockXX command for laptops.

here is how to do it:

first from terminal do:

sudo apt-get remove numlockx

now do the following:

Go to /etc/X11/gdm/Init/ as root (use the "open as root nautilus" script which comes with automatix) and delete the file called "Default".

Now look for a file which looks like: Default_backup200512010316 (the numbers at the end is the date and time when u ran automatix to install numlockx, it will be different for u).

Rename this file as "Default" (minus quotes). now log out of gnome and log back in. numlock wont start up again.

I recieved your PM, so here is the fix so that everyone who might run into this can fix it.

it has been discovered that this is related to the numlockXX command for laptops.

here is how to do it:

first from terminal do:

sudo apt-get remove numlockx

now do the following:

Go to /etc/X11/gdm/Init/ as root (use the "open as root nautilus" script which comes with automatix) and delete the file called "Default".

Now look for a file which looks like: Default_backup200512010316 (the numbers at the end is the date and time when u ran automatix to install numlockx, it will be different for u).

Rename this file as "Default" (minus quotes). now log out of gnome and log back in. numlock wont start up again.

NVM i got it

Edited by frank
do you think you can give us the lspci list now, I'm sure you would still like to know what graphics card you are using. or has the hotplug issue been solved also?

i havnt had the problem..so i guess for now its fine(if it aint broke...dont fix it...)