Norton Updates For 2004 Turning Things Off

Rather than rewrite what I posted in other board, I will just copy and paste it.

Sorry for the duplication folks, but I got to thinking that this is also a security alert as the various updates this week have turned off both my antivirus and firewall protection along with other things, with different days updates. So I want to warn everyone with Norton to be careful and check out the display window to make sure you are fully protected. It doesn't show up on the system tray icons most of the time.

Quote:

"thesidekickcat Posted: Oct 22 2004, 04:27 PM

I checked out the update sticky thread over on G4's Tech Support board and found a useful warning/alert from Pete about how some of the updates for Norton are not coming through on autoupdate. So do as he did and check out the live update once in awhile to get the rest of the updates.

Personally lately I don't trust my Norton 2004 antivirus and firewall even when I can see what they are doing to me. I have had several times in past week or so where the update shut off certain things after it installed. Multiple reboots fixes it most of the time, though once it reguired going back online for the final fix that day (I am on dialup) exposed to trouble, when the recent Oct 19th updates shut off intrusion detection. I found another update that fixed it. Only after reboot did it show no round green globe, so I started looking for why. And it refused to let me turn it back on, until I got the rest of the update online, though I did get the other things turned back on that day with several reboots.

My other troubles with it shutting things off after other updates, untill I do Several Reboots, ONLY SHOW up in the Norton display window thingy. NO Change in system tray icon status. So now after every update, and every time I get on the computer, I open that Norton display window, where you click on the liveupdates thing, to see that everything is checked as on!!!! Otherwise I don't trust it to protect me. I am so unhappy with this 2004 version.

I only hope it is not doing the same thing to others on auto update with the no show of trouble in tray icons but there is major trouble elsewhere as seen in the turned off items in display screen. And no I do not appear to have any worm/virus/trojan trouble after scan checks. It is the update thing doing this recently.

So that is my warning, and now here is Pete's.

Quote:

"Pete_C

Polymath

Wednesday October 20, 2004 4:07 PM

I just encountered another of Nortons hidden updates

I have automatic live updates and have been getting them as expected. Just ran live update manually and found 4.8MB of hidden updates, including a new WMI for SP2, new symantec redirector, and new common client. Seems to fix the slow boot the norton firewall was causing." endquote.

Be careful folks that your Norton is working correctly. Stay safe.

God bless everyone. endquote.

Be careful and don't even trust your own antivirus and firewall without double checking it.

God bless everyone.

I'm using 2002, but you got me curious. Just got a Automatic Update today, but went and checked with Live Update.

The following updates have been found:

> LiveReg, 1934.6 KB

> Symantec Redirector, 1468.3 KB

Total Download 3402.9 KB

It disabled my E-mail scanning, Automatic Update, and my web connection.

Rebooted and everything is back to "normal", for now.

Thanks for the heads-up, thesidekickcat.

Rather than rewrite what I posted in other board, I will just copy and paste it.

Sorry for the duplication folks, but I got to thinking that this is also a security alert as the various updates this week have turned off both my antivirus and firewall protection along with other things, with different days updates. So I want to warn everyone with Norton to be careful and check out the display window to make sure you are fully protected. It doesn't show up on the system tray icons most of the time.

Quote:

"thesidekickcatĀ  Posted: Oct 22 2004, 04:27 PMĀ 

I checked out the update sticky thread over on G4's Tech Support board and found a useful warning/alert from Pete about how some of the updates for Norton are not coming through on autoupdate. So do as he did and check out the live update once in awhile to get the rest of the updates.

Personally lately I don't trust my Norton 2004 antivirus and firewall even when I can see what they are doing to me. I have had several times in past week or so where the update shut off certain things after it installed. Multiple reboots fixes it most of the time, though once it reguired going back online for the final fix that day (I am on dialup) exposed to trouble, when the recent Oct 19th updates shut off intrusion detection. I found another update that fixed it. Only after reboot did it show no round green globe, so I started looking for why. And it refused to let me turn it back on, until I got the rest of the update online, though I did get the other things turned back on that day with several reboots.

My other troubles with it shutting things off after other updates, untill I do Several Reboots, ONLY SHOW up in the Norton display window thingy. NO Change in system tray icon status. So now after every update, and every time I get on the computer, I open that Norton display window, where you click on the liveupdates thing, to see that everything is checked as on!!!! Otherwise I don't trust it to protect me. I am so unhappy with this 2004 version.

I only hope it is not doing the same thing to others on auto update with the no show of trouble in tray icons but there is major trouble elsewhere as seen in the turned off items in display screen. And no I do not appear to have any worm/virus/trojan trouble after scan checks. It is the update thing doing this recently.

So that is my warning, and now here is Pete's.

Quote:

"Pete_C

Polymath

Wednesday October 20, 2004 4:07 PM

I just encountered another of Nortons hidden updates

I have automatic live updates and have been getting them as expected. Just ran live update manually and found 4.8MB of hidden updates, including a new WMI for SP2, new symantec redirector, and new common client. Seems to fix the slow boot the norton firewall was causing." endquote.

Be careful folks that your Norton is working correctly. Stay safe.

God bless everyone. endquote.

Be careful and don't even trust your own antivirus and firewall without double checking it.

God bless everyone.

I also found my intrusion detection off, when I went to check liveupdate manually, and it would not let me turn it back on. I had NIS 2003, and was ready for renewal soon, so went and got NIS 2005.

The only problem I had with it is, it has a pop up blocker. When you go to some sites, you have to turn it off while at that site and everything works ok. You of course have the option to turn it off completely. I have only had it for 2 days, so can not give a complete review of it, but so far ok.

The NIS 2003 took about 140MB, and NIS 2005 only takes up 33.27MB.

It also has an anti-spam feature, which I may turn off completely. It reads your address book, and you will get your email from anyone in it. If they are not in your address book, it may get labeled spam, and you will not get it. I did have that happen to me, and have not found a way to retrieve it. It is a place I buy computer supplies from. How I found out what happened is I opened the anti-virus window, reports, view activity log, click email filter. A list of your email comes up, I recognized which one I did not get, highlighted and changed it from spam to clean.

This is as much as I know about it right now.

Thanks sidekickcat for info, I thought I was the only one, Glad to know it was Norton.

Barb :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I am bumping this thread up again, due to Norton problems starting back up after being ok/normal for a couple of weeks.

I had two antivirus updates on Wed, for some reason they were split up with one at 263.9KB and one at 17KB. And on Thurs there was an Intrusion Detection signature update. Didn't have any problem for a couple of reboots with things getting turned off. But since then have had email scanning turned off when I turn computer back on, but a reboot fixes it. Also had another antivirus update later in day on the 11th of 75KB. It didn't solve the turn off problem.

There was a thread on G4 where the original poster had auto protect turned off and email scanning. And it took out his system tray icon. 2003 version. Mine is 2004 for both A and F. His was after an automatic update, mine was a manual LiveUpdate. No amount of reboots, or rechecking things in options has worked for that person. At least mine works again after a quick reboot. Marsh posted after my warning in Updates thread on G4 that he was considering moving to Avast due to Wed's Norton problems.

So open your Norton Display window and check that things are turned on right.

I am like Marsh, ready to deep six this if Norton doesn't make it more stable. I wonder if they even know it is doing this? And how do you send them a message? I haven't seen any way to email them, and am not about to pay them by using phone call to let them know their updates are unstable. They should check things out in real world before releasing updates. Grrrrrrrr!!!!! :angry:

Take care folks and stay safe.

God bless everyone.

Pete has given an answer as to why this may be happening, on a thread I was involved in helping someone with the problem.

"Pete_C

Polymath

Sunday November 14, 2004 1:17 PM (NEW!)

This is so long I figured someone had already answered it.

I have seen this several times (where suddenly it appears that autoprotect is not on and will not enable, but a scan shows clean)

In most cases, it is caused by something jamming the loadup during windows boot, and if you go make a cup of coffee and come back

you suddenly find norton is loaded. I am almost certain it is a norton WMI or common client issue, since in most cases it dissappears after a couple

of live updates.

The reason you cannot enable it from within is because it is already set to enable autoprotect, it just hasn't finished loading.

YOu could try uninstall and reinstall norton, or you could try waiting and running live update manually.

There are viruses that do this, but if you are updated, and did a full system scan anc came out clean I doubt you have one. "

G4 thread on Norton shutoffs

By the way, this thread has plenty of drama, even comedy, if anyone is interested. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Pete had an additional clarification, (on the G4 thread listed above), of what we can do with this Norton thing if it continues to give us trouble.

Qoute from G4 thread:

"Pete_C

Polymath

Monday November 15, 2004 6:46 AM (NEW!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by: PCMANIAC90

so my best bet is to reinstall? actually, what you said, pete, is very very logical!!!! I think ill wait until another live update comes out and fixes my prob.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually the following tends to work for most of nortons failure to load components (such as the email scanner, Instant messenger scanner, auto protect etc)

Go into norton antivirus and in the options remove the load at startup for that component .

Then manually run live update then reenable the component in question.

Even when there are no updates to load, often the last one failed to integrate with this component because the component was running and would not shut off .

This will finish loading any update components live update has cached." end quote.

So then maybe after all that we can rest easier? And maybe Norton can solve whatever they did that caused it to be so wierd lately. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

hey all, i have had norton2005 & all is well with it. i went andchecked for updates & nothing other than 5 days ago they notified me of 1 update. ive had it for a month andit seems great so far...............STAY SAFE