Ubuntu Help...

Hey,

I just got ubuntu set up on a crappy laptop(p3 400mhz) and i couldnt get Java for live chat to install or my wireless network card. The software does not start. I tried to get WINE to work but im not sure if did(how can i access it or how do oi use it?) well if you know how to get that stuff installed or use WINE that would be great. Thanks!

Hey,

I just got ubuntu set up on a crappy laptop(p3 400mhz) and i couldnt get Java for live chat to install or my wireless network card. The software does not start. I tried to get WINE to work but im not sure if did(how can i access it or how do oi use it?) well if you know how to get that stuff installed or use WINE that would be great. Thanks!

our questions..

how did you try to install java?

what wireless card?

how did you try to install wine.. and what programs are you going to try with it?

use automatix, it will help you take care of wine and java. it's another issue on the wireless card

Thread at Ubuntu Forums

u need to run winecfg manually after installation of wine using automatix

all these commands are done in terminal on gnome,

applications>accesories>Terminal

wget http://beerorkid.com/automatix/automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb 
sudo dpkg -i automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb

Automatix gets installed in Applications--> System Tools

To uninstall Automatix, do the following:

sudo apt-get remove automatix

Howto remember which options In Automatix u have already checked in the past : Open terminal and type

cat $HOME/automatix.log

Please NOTE:

Automatix does not support ppc (powerpc) and AMD64 packages. If it works for u, well and good but if it doesnt, I am sorry but since Ubuntu itself does not fully support these architectures, I cannot do anything about it.

Edited by Dragon

Hey,

our questions..

how did you try to install java?

what wireless card?

how did you try to install wine.. and what programs are you going to try with it?

ok i installed java from java.com and got the linux download. I am using a Linksys speedbooster card(i cant get the software to run on linux which is the problem so i need something to convert it or something to linux) i installed wine from how they said with synaptic package manager. (im not totally sure how to use it jsut someone told me about it in live chat and so i tried it and i dont get how to use it, or linux really in general.)

Edited by frank

Information taken from the Ubuntu Wiki in regards to restricted formats

Go to [WWW] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp and click on “Download JRE 5.0 Update 6â€. Ensure you do not choose one of the JDK or J2EE versions.

You must first accept the licence, then click on “Linux self-extracting file†(jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin). Save this file to your hard drive.

Make the downloaded file executable. At the command line, change to the directory where you downloaded the file, and type

chmod +x jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin

Install the java-package and java-common, as well as fakeroot (which allows a non-root user to create the package derived from Sun's bin file):

sudo apt-get install fakeroot java-package java-common

If you get an error when installing java-package, you need to enable the multiverse repository (see AddingRepositoriesHowto).

To install the JRE, type the lines below:

fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin
sudo dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0+update06_i386.deb

(Note: in above example, i386 might have to be i586.)

If you get an error similar to this:

Loading plugins: blackdown-j2re.sh blackdown-j2sdk.sh common.sh ibm-j2re.sh ibm-j2sdk.sh j2re.sh j2sdk.sh j2se.sh sun-j2re.sh sun-j2sdk.sh

No matching plugin was found.

Try

DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=i386-linux fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_03-linux-i586.bin[code]

or similar command if you are not using i386 architecture. (Note: in above example, 1_5_0_03 might have to be 1_5_0_06.)

make-jpkg translates Sun's bin file into a debian package. Then dpkg installs that package.

Information taken from the Ubuntu Wiki in regards to restricted formats

Go to [WWW] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp and click on “Download JRE 5.0 Update 6â€. Ensure you do not choose one of the JDK or J2EE versions.

You must first accept the licence, then click on “Linux self-extracting file†(jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin). Save this file to your hard drive.

Make the downloaded file executable. At the command line, change to the directory where you downloaded the file, and type

chmod +x jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin

Install the java-package and java-common, as well as fakeroot (which allows a non-root user to create the package derived from Sun's bin file):

sudo apt-get install fakeroot java-package java-common

If you get an error when installing java-package, you need to enable the multiverse repository (see AddingRepositoriesHowto).

To install the JRE, type the lines below:

fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin
sudo dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0+update06_i386.deb

(Note: in above example, i386 might have to be i586.)

If you get an error similar to this:

Loading plugins: blackdown-j2re.sh blackdown-j2sdk.sh common.sh ibm-j2re.sh ibm-j2sdk.sh j2re.sh j2sdk.sh j2se.sh sun-j2re.sh sun-j2sdk.sh

No matching plugin was found.

Try

DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=i386-linux fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_03-linux-i586.bin[code]

or similar command if you are not using i386 architecture. (Note: in above example, 1_5_0_03 might have to be 1_5_0_06.)

make-jpkg translates Sun's bin file into a debian package. Then dpkg installs that package.

ok i got it all downloaded but i dont understand how ot make it exeutatible or change the command line so if you could cleirfy that would be excellent

thats what the chmod +x step was supposed to do. from what you are explaining, it appears you missed a step.

did you follow every step as it was outlined?? and did you use the standard terminal or the root terminal??

thats what the chmod +x step was supposed to do. from what you are explaining, it appears you missed a step.

did you follow every step as it was outlined?? and did you use the standard terminal or the root terminal??

i think idid everything, im not sure which one i, i used the one in applications>accessories>teminal

Edited by frank

ok thats the standard terminal. Which is the one you were supposed to use. I found what happened.

type the following in Terminal so you can select which version of Java to use. if the Sun java you installed isn't listed then you missed a step in the prior directions and will have to start over from the beginning.

sudo update-alternatives --config java

ok thats the standard terminal. Which is the one you were supposed to use. I found what happened.

type the following in Terminal so you can select which version of Java to use. if the Sun java you installed isn't listed then you missed a step in the prior directions and will have to start over from the beginning.

sudo update-alternatives --config java

ok, my version was not in there and from the very first step it said permission denied (the chmod +x step it said this) and i typed the exact location with that code following in the standard terminal

ok frank,

I the other topic you posted about Automatix, I answered you on where to get the tool. If you can download that, and run it, it will save you some time trying to troubleshoot this problem as it will do it all for you. all you have to do is run it.

once you install it, click on Applications>system Tools> automatix. then put a check next to the items you want installed.

if you still need to install wine, it will do it for you however, after it runs you will have to type the following in terminal

winecfg

this will help you configure wine to work.

Hope this helps

type the following in a terminal

wget http://beerorkid.com/automatix/automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb

after it has downloaded it type this next

sudo dpkg -i automatix-ubuntu_4.4-2_i386.deb

there ya go you just installed it. then go to applications>system tools>automatix

then run check what you want to run

ok about the java thing,..i got part of it to work...(didnt relize the make exe thing OPPS) well any way i installed footroot, but then went to the next step and it said "/usr/bin/fakeroot: line 150: make-jpkg: command not found" the command i typed into to get this message was "fakeroot make-jpkg jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586.bin". do you know why?(i got automatix to work :) )

WELL I GUESS THAT QUESTION WAS POINTLESS CUZ IN AUTOMATIX I CAN JUST INSTALL JAVA FROM TEHRE...

Edited by frank