I was interested in getting a new computer since my old one is getting slower by the day. I have a budget of around $600-700 dollars. I was wondering if I should build one? or Should I get this eMachines and upgrade a few things on their. I want the computer to be good, but I don't expect it to be really good. If I should build one what parts would you recommend for my budget.

I wouldn't spend that much on an E-machine. They're pretty glitchy. $700 will build a pretty good machine from parts, though...have you ever thought about building your own?

wannabe1

I have been thinking of building my own since it would save me money. What parts would you suggest for that price range. I do have a few things I want like atleast 1 GB of ram and a decent sized hard drive for all the content I download.

Hi JD and Welcome to Besttechies! You sure picked the right place to ask your question! Now, my daughter just bought a new idiot box for college and even though I was inquiring about a lower end computer than what you're looking for, the consensus was to go with either a Dell or an HP (I threatened bodily harm to anyone who would suggest building one from scratch!). She ended up with a Dell and got

256 gigawatts ram

80 gigawatt Hard Drive

Pentium 4..something I didn't write down the number...

Free Flat Panel Monitor (which really wasn't important to her, a regular monitor would have suited her fine)

Free Printer (she needed a printer anyways, frosting on the cake)

Free Shipping

$599

NOW, she isn't a gamer, so she didn't invest in a higher end video card (that is something you might want to do) but she's very happy with it. Right now there are a lot of deals on Dells and HPs.

Now, I would never have the geekieness to build a computer, but I have read "don't skimp on the power supply". If you do decide to build your own, buy an expensive power supply!!

My Noobish 1 cent worth :thumbsup:

Liz

By way of comparison...I recently built an economy machine...$600

AOpen motherboard

AMD 1.8GHz CPU

Integrated AC '97 Sound

Radeon 7000 Graphics Card

100GB Maxtor HDD

512MB Kingston RAM

Net Gear LAN

Antec 400 Watt Power Supply

Off the shelf ATX case

Windows XP Pro SP2

Runs like a rocket... :thumbsup:

This didn't include the monitor, which the client already had, but monitors can be picked up new for around $100...that would put the total cost of a system like this at $700

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1

Try snoopin Newegg, it's just about the best place on the planet for getting parts. They are cheap fast shipping and a Ginormous selection. They also have full systems too.

Edited by Honda_Boy

For an extra $20 improve the video card from a 6600 to a 6600gt, then get a Athelon 64 3000+ over a Sempron 3100+. Much better performance.

For an extra $20 improve the video card from a 6600 to a 6600gt, then get a Athelon 64 3000+ over a Sempron 3100+. Much better performance.

Any perticular brand of 6600gt like EVG, PNY, etc...

I am running a eVGA 6600gt 128mb AGP myself and love it. I would go eVGA if I where you, they have it for a good price on new egg see below. I also like XFX and MSI, but evga in perticular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130220

Any perticular brand of 6600gt like EVG, PNY, etc...

I am running a eVGA 6600gt 128mb AGP myself and love it. I would go eVGA if I where you, they have it for a good price on new egg see below. I also like XFX and MSI, but evga in perticular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130220

Is there much difference between the PCI E version and the AGP version? They cost the same on Newegg.

The difference betweeen PCI-E and AGP is the interface. You need a mobo with a pci-e slot to get a video card with pci-e, same with AGP. Kind of like processor sockets. If you have a socket 939 processor then you need a mobo with socket 939. IMO you will be fine with a agp mobo and video card. And TheTerrorist 75, if the suggested parts put him $20 out of his price range, but provide a very noticable increase in performance, if figured I would tell him about it and let him make the decision on his own.

The difference betweeen PCI-E and AGP is the interface. You need a mobo with a pci-e slot to get a video card with pci-e, same with AGP. Kind of like processor sockets. If you have a socket 939 processor then you need a mobo with socket 939. IMO you will be fine with a agp mobo and video card. And TheTerrorist 75, if the suggested parts put him $20 out of his price range, but provide a very noticable increase in performance, if figured I would tell him about it and let him make the decision on his own.

If you noticed I stated all of the additional parts.

OK, boys, settle down *hugs* You're both right--giving jd lots and lots of choices to choose from will help him decide what will be the best gadgets for his new toy and Terrorist reminding us of his budget is will keep everyone and jd down to earth. You all are giving jd lots of great advice :wub:

Now, XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center??? Daughter got XP Media Center on her new idiot box and from what I can see so far, listening to music, watching movies, playing games, all that can be done on Home with Windows Media Player, too, so I'm thinking "why get add-ons that can break?" I did send her an email asking which system she prefers, if she answers, I'll post her reply.

As far as Pro goes, it probably depends on if you'll use the extra features that Pro has on it, again, if you'll never see yourself using these gadgets, why have them?

What's the cost difference between the different systems? I'm guessing plain ol' Home is the cheapest?

What do you plan to do with your new toy, jd?

Liz