(resolved) Accessing Dialup Via Wifi

All right, I have a desktop and a laptop, both of which connect to the internet via dialup (We live in Iowa in the middle of a corn field, affordable broadband internet doesn't even exist here). Now, although having my laptop hard-wired into the phone line to connect to the internet is ok, I obviously would like to go wireless if possible.

Ok, my laptop and desktop are already networked together via ad-hoc WiFi for file sharing purposes, so a wireless framework already exists that my laptop could potentially use for internet access. Thus, I figured I could install an internet proxy on my desktop, and use that to provide a wireless connection to the internet on my laptop. I found a free proxy, installed it, and tested it out. It works, and quite nicely too.

Step one: install and configure a proxy on the desktop - DONE

Next, I'd need to figure out a way to make my desktop connect and disconnect the dialup connection when needed, wirelessly, from my laptop. Yes, I could just use the built-in "dial on demand" function, but then chances are it would keep connecting and disconnecting every time my antivirus tried to update itself, or every time Windows Time tried to sync the clock with the NIST server. So, I prefer manual control over when the dialup connection is opened and closed. I actually went homebrew on this and wrote a couple VB programs; a daemon that runs full-time on my desktop and a client I run as needed on my laptop. The client communicates with the daemon and the daemon issues commands to connect or disconnect the dialup connection, thus, allowing me to remotely connect and disconnect the dialup connection on my desktop whenever I want.

Step two: figure out how to manually connect and disconnect the desktop's dialup internet connection from the laptop - DONE

All right, I'm 2/3 of the way there. Now all that remains is to configure the various programs on my laptop to use the proxy.

Ok, here's where my trouble comes in. Even though my laptop now has the ability to connect to the internet wirelessly, there will be times when I'll still connect it through a hard-wired phone line. Thus, it would be too tedious to go into my programs and change their settings every time I change the method being used to connect to the internet.

So, I'm searching for a workable solution to this issue, one that'll let me use either a hard-wired phone line or WiFi to connect to the internet, without having to change any settings in my programs. Something kinda like a virtual internet connection on my laptop that appears as a normal dialup connection to Windows and all other programs, yet functions through the proxy on my WiFi. I double-click on one icon if I'm connecting through hard-wire, or I double-click on a different icon if I'm connecting through wireless, and all my programs work normally, regardless of which connection I choose, and with no further configuration changes. Does this make any sense? I hope so, because I can't think of any other way to explain it without making my head explode. I've already searched Google, but I didn't find any helpful or relevant results to my query. Of course, given how complex this type of query is, it's almost impossible to phrase a proper collection of search terms to plug into Google and expect good results.

Step three: figure out how to make all of the programs on my laptop work through either a hard-wired or wireless dialup connection without any configuration changes to the programs - NOT DONE

BTW, my laptop is running Windows 2000 Pro, and my desktop is running Windows XP Pro. I already have my desktop set up as far as what needs to be done for that, it's the laptop I'm focusing on now.

I appreciate any input on this odd thing I am trying to do.

Edited by Torin_Darkflight

I am not going to be sharing the dialup via WiFi, I am just using it to provide a method for my laptop (And ONLY my laptop, no other computers) to connect to the internet wirelessly. Thus, it wouldn't be any slower than just connecting my laptop directly to the phone line. Also, configuring a second dialup connection wouldn't be of any value, because it would still keep trying to use the internal modem on my laptop, something that isn't even part of the equation when connecting via WiFi.

This is the current dialup internet connection on my laptop:

Laptop --> Modem --> Phone Line --> Internet

I am adding a second internet connection that functions like this:

Laptop --> WiFi --> Desktop --> Software Proxy --> Modem --> Phone Line --> Internet

I already have the second connection configured and working. What I need now is a way to make ALL of the programs on my laptop work with EITHER connection, WITHOUT having to go in to change the programs connection settings every time.

I finally managed to get it working using the built-in Internet Connection Sharing, but I had to get rid of ZoneAlarm to do it (It was preventing ICS from working, no matter how I configured it). So, now I have wireless dialup internet on my laptop, no proxy needed, and no program settings need to be changed when switching back and forth between hard-wired and wireless.

And it's not running any slower than when I have the laptop hard-wired to the phone line. It works at full speed with no trouble whatsoever, primarily because I'm the only one using the connection.