Speed Up Boot Times I - Probably safe but of dubious value.

Speed Up Boot Times II - Safe, negligible value, possibly annoying.

Speed Up Boot Times III - Potentially slightly unsafe and of dubious value.

Free Up Memory - Safe but brain damaged.

Ensure XP Is Using DMA Mode - Potentially unsafe if the device doesn't support DMA but potentially very beneficial. This is the only item on the list that's likely to have a noticeable effect. It's also the only item that can cause serious, possibly irreparable, damage.

Add Correct Network Card Settings - No idea what this does.

Remove Annoying Delete Confirmation Messages - Not safe if you're careless.

Disable Prefetch on Low Memory Systems - Safe but unwise.

Edited by jcl

While tweaking Windows can be a fun and interesting, and it's FREE, the gains are going to be minimal. IMO, the time you spend researching, tweaking, testing, and undoing the ones that cause problems, will never -ever- be recovered by any speed gains (which will mostly be in the milleseconds range).

If you feel you need more speed, hardware upgrades are far more likely to result in meaningful speed gains (but they're not free, unless you have 'sources').

Remove Annoying Delete Confirmation Messages - Not safe if you're careless.

I agree 100%. I cannot tell you how many times this has saved me esspecially since I tend to bypass the recycle bin out of habit (I delete very large file or many at a time weekly)

Preston

This one is very helpful if you have a slow computer or a computer with a slow harddrive. I did this on my old laptop and it has helped slightly but noticeably (barely).

Edited by Sir_Siddy

This one is very helpful if you have a slow computer or a computer with a slow harddrive. I did this on my old laptop and it has helped slightly but noticeably (barely).

Do you happen to know why? [Clarification: Do you happen to know which directories were responsible?]

Edited by jcl