Help! Computer Keeps Rebooting

Why don't you try a different bit torrent client? Try Azureus... Lots of these clients don't like playing with certain hardware and configurations of ......

How much RAM are you running? It could be as simple as "not enough" RAM.

Why don't you try a different bit torrent client? Try Azureus... Lots of these clients don't like playing with certain hardware and configurations of ......

Azureus is a terrible P2P program and Win2K doesn't have the issues with too little memory that WinXP has. If anything it could be a bad stick of memory. I believe you have a corupted driver, weak or failing power supply, bad stick of memory or toher hardware problem.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
Sorry if I missed it but what kind of internet connection do you have....are you using a usb modem by any chance?...google gave a vague reference to a driver issue on a Speedtouch USB modem by alcatel when searching the stop code you posted....worth checking for a driver update if you have this modem

I have a cable modem. I don't believe it is a USB modem. I believe I checked the driver, but I will check again.

What is listed in your Event Viewer? The 0 X 00000002 means there is a problem with a device using IRQ #2. I don't know if this works with 2K but try typing MSINFO32.exe in the run box then hit Enter. See what devices are using IRQ #2.

I'll try it and get back to you.

I'll give it a shot .... I am running 785MB of ram. Thanks

Azureus is a terrible P2P program and Win2K doesn't have the issues with too little memory that WinXP has. If anything it could be a bad stick of memory. I believe you have a corupted driver, weak or failing power supply, bad stick of memory or toher hardware problem.

It can't be the power supply because I replaced it with a new one and it still does it. I can't test the memory until I get a new floppy drive. The corrupt drive sound likely but how to I find and correct it?

I could not find a driver for the modem and when I did the msinfo and there wasn't a IRQ#2 there was a #1 and #3 but no #2.

IRQ#1 was the keyboard so I got the software and installed the driver on it.

I can't test the memory until I get a new floppy drive

why...

get a bootable linux cd like knoppix.. when you get to the first prompt type memtest86

mem test in progress.. no floppy needed.

why...

get a bootable linux cd like knoppix.. when you get to the first prompt type memtest86

Is it free software? If so were do I get it?

Thanks

It's really looking like this is the bit torrent causing problems. I'm going to have to do more research on the issue.

why...

Thanks

It's really looking like this is the bit torrent causing problems. I'm going to have to do more research on the issue.

\ hi spirittoo

try going to safe mode

and see if it reboots in safe mode if it dosent

then it is most likely an application problem [bit torrent]

or a driver problem

good like

marty

why...

Thanks

\ hi spirittoo

try going to safe mode

and see if it reboots in safe mode if it dosent

then it is most likely an application problem [bit torrent]

or a driver problem

good like

marty

It doesn't reboot in safe mode ...... it doesn't reboot when the bit torrent is not running only when the torrent is running does it reboot, so this is without a doubt a torrent problem.

Is there anyone that understands torrents and why it is causing this problem?

Thank you for time.

All I know is, we had to try many different bit torrent clients before we found one that would play nice with our modum(cable) and router... We never got the re-boot problem, but our net connection went "Phooey" over and over...

Edited by bozodog

Well I changed bit torrent clients and so far I haven't had the rebooting problem. I'm not downloading anything though, just seeding.

I don't know for sure until I have something to download, but for now the rebooting problem is solved.

Thanks

BitTorrent makes my machine freeze, crash or blue screen! What should I do?

BitTorrent cannot make your computer freeze, crash or blue screen. Windows (NT/2000/2003/XP) is designed so that an application cannot cause a freeze, crash or blue screen. If your computer crashes, freezes, or blue screens each time you are use BitTorrent, it represents a bug in either Windows itself, or more commonly in your network drivers.

If you are experiencing freezes, crashes, or blue screens, you may want to check your hardware manufacturer for updated drivers. However, having up-to-date drivers does not necessarily mean they are bug free. If there is no update, you should report this bug to the hardware manufacturer.

If you have a DSL modem, especially an Alcatel, you should upgrade your drivers. If you have a Linksys network card, you may have to upgrade your network card drivers as well.

When your computer reboots is it the same error message in Event viewer everytime?

Cheers

Peterm

BitTorrent makes my machine freeze, crash or blue screen! What should I do?

BitTorrent cannot make your computer freeze, crash or blue screen. Windows (NT/2000/2003/XP) is designed so that an application cannot cause a freeze, crash or blue screen. If your computer crashes, freezes, or blue screens each time you are use BitTorrent, it represents a bug in either Windows itself, or more commonly in your network drivers.

If you are experiencing freezes, crashes, or blue screens, you may want to check your hardware manufacturer for updated drivers. However, having up-to-date drivers does not necessarily mean they are bug free. If there is no update, you should report this bug to the hardware manufacturer.

If you have a DSL modem, especially an Alcatel, you should upgrade your drivers. If you have a Linksys network card, you may have to upgrade your network card drivers as well.

When your computer reboots is it the same error message in Event viewer everytime?

Cheers

Peterm

I did update all my drivers and still it rebooted ..... I also checked the event viewer and the only warning was for a unrelated drive.

Only when I stop using bit tornado and switched to utorrent did the problem stop. I've downloaded another file with utorrent and I had no problems so changing the torrent client solved my problem.

It's obvious bit tornado and win2000 pro do not get along.

Anyway I just want you all to know the problem is solved! No more rebooting! :thumbsup::lol: