Help! Computer Keeps Rebooting

I'm running windows 2000 Pro.

I tried running AVG but it shut down on me before I could. I have auto window updates that's updated.

What is going around that is causing the system to reboot?

Help!

Update: I checked windows update and no critical updates are needed. I am running AVG again and plan to run spybot .... I don't have ad aware installed.

I will give more info as I get it. If you know what is causing it to reboot please post.

Thank you for your time.

Update .... something wierd is going on with my spybot ....the language is changed and I didn't do it!

Edited by spirittoo
Try turning everything on at msconfig startup menu have you installed any new drivers,hardware, or programs?

I don't have msconfig with win2000. I tried going into it before and it said cannot find file. :unsure:

Update

So far I haven't found anything. I scan the c drive with AVG nothing. I uninstalled and reinstalled spybot and did a scan .... nothing. I installed ad aware and did a scan and removed things it found. Now I am running AVG again scanning all the drives.

I wasn't at the computer when it reboot both times. I just walked into the room and saw it had rebooted. So far it hasn't done it again and I have been sitting here installing things for over 30 mins and it hasn't rebooted.

I was running a bit torrent both times it rebooted. I wonder if that had something to do with it?

Edited by spirittoo

try buying a new new power supply that happend to me a couple of time and i learn my lesson about that.

before you buy a new power supply try to look at you MB and take out the power supply if you see on you Mb has damage or the cynlinder thing near the plug of the power supply is damge you need to change a new one a power spply or a MB.

try buying a new new power supply that happend to me a couple of time and i learn my lesson about that.

before you buy a new power supply try to look at you MB and take out the power supply if you see on you Mb has damage or the cynlinder thing near the plug of the power supply is damge you need to change a new one a power spply or a MB.

Just as I was replying to your post the system rebooted without warning. Is this the sign of a bad power supply?

I have a cheap one, I can use but what would be a good supply that doesn't cost alot if it is the psu?

If the power supply is your issue, which can be repsonsible for random reboots (along with other problems)

I've been real happy with my Cooler Master PSU, and I've heard great things about Thermaltake and Ultra

Steer clear of cheapy Taiwanese PSU's they'll put you right back into your same problem

Well it's not the power supply. I replaced it with a new one I had and the problem continues. It reboots without warning after a few mintues.

I've run AVG and found no virus. I've check the windows updates and nothing new. I've run ad aware and remove what it found. I've run spy bot and it found nothing. I've updated spyblaster ..... :wacko:

Does anyone have any idea what is happening? :blink::huh:

you could try running a live linux distro . if it does reboot while running that, then you can assume it is a hardware isssue. If it does not reboot, then you can assume it is a software(windows) issue. My gut says it is a hardware problem. At least this would narrow your search down.

edit added later//

if you have two sticks of ram, run one at a time, in different slots. See if that makes a difference.

Edited by shanenin

maybe you could see if there is a .dmp file and see if you can post that here to see if anyone can see the errors. Also I wonder if you are getting blue screens. If you are quick get the id error there and post it.

couple of possibilities, overheating... have you cleaned all the dust out . fans all working?

the other possibility bad ram?

maybe you could see if there is a .dmp file and see if you can post that here to see if anyone can see the errors. Also I wonder if you are getting blue screens. If you are quick get the id error there and post it.

couple of possibilities, overheating... have you cleaned all the dust out . fans all working?

the other possibility bad ram?

I have the side off and it's in the 60's in the house. So it's not over heating. I have active monitor and it shows all the temps in the green. All the fans are working.

I'm not getting a blue screen just a reboot at random without warning. I'll do a search and see if there is a .dmp file.

I have the mirosoft memory test I can check it with that.

I will get back to you.

Update....

I've discovered went I tried to run a memory test that the floppy drive isn't working. I'm surprise windows didn't say anything.

The light isn't flashing and when I put a disk in I get a message to insert disk into drive.

Could this be the reason the computer is rebooting?

If I disconnect it will it solve the problem?

Thanks.

Edited by spirittoo

Another couple of things to look at.

Are all your drivers up to date.

Could be a stick of ram that is starting to go bad.

I just bought two new sticks myself. And after placing them in. Mine started doing the same thing. Just went black and restarted from boot up. Ended up one of the sticks was faulty. Took a while to track the one down.

Have you been cleaning the inside.

Try reseating any boards (audio, video, etc), and your ram sticks.

Try reseating your cables.

Try drinking a big glass of beer.

It never hurts. :D

Another couple of things to look at.

Are all your drivers up to date.

Could be a stick of ram that is starting to go bad.

I just bought two new sticks myself. And after placing them in. Mine started doing the same thing. Just went black and restarted from boot up. Ended up one of the sticks was faulty. Took a while to track the one down.

Have you been cleaning the inside.

Try reseating any boards (audio, video, etc), and your ram sticks.

Try reseating your cables.

Try drinking a big glass of beer.

It never hurts. :D

I was going to test the memory, but the floppy disk is bad. I'll have to replace it. Everything else you mentioned checks out ok.

I'm wondering if the floppy drive is causing it to reboot.

Thank you for your time.

Update

I'm whipped .... must crash will check back in the morning. If you have anything that can help please post. Thanks

Edited by spirittoo

Spirritoo,

could you post a Hijack this log in malware removal for review along with a startup list in the same topic. I'm not saying it is, but it could also be malware related. I do know there are malware out there that spybot, ad aware, AVG etc... don't recognize so they don't try to fix them.

there are 2 possiblitys,

power options.

if there is a tab in power options on the tool bar

APM

open it and check the box

power options support.

also if hibernation is checked

uncheck it

to stop your compt restarting

go to control panel -sys -advanced-

start up and recovery -settings

and uncheck

automatic restarts.

normally if your compt keeps restarting

it is a hardware driver issue.

how ever try those fixes ive posted and

get back to the thread

marty

you're using 2K but it is similar to XP. On the 2 SP2 systems I usually use (one home other pro) you right click my computer, click properties. CLick the advanced tab and go to the Starup and Recovery and click Settings. Uncheck automatically restart. It should give you an error code. could be indicating some kind of driver conflict possilbly. I not sure if 2K has this feature though.

Also are you using speedfan? it gave me nothing but trouble. I caused my system to reboot randomly a lot, granted i was using it to underclock my processor to cool it off. I got a new HSF to combat that though so I got rid of speedfan.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Combine all of the suggestions in an orderly manner.

Are you updated to SP3 or SP4?

What type of torrents were you downloading?

Reboot into safe mode. Go to MyComputer properties, Advanced, Startup and recovery. Take the check out of Automatically reboot on system failure.

Reboot to normal, see if it generates a blue screen error. Another place to find error messages is in control panel, Administrative tools, Event Viewer.

Could be a problem with your harddrive or IDE cable. this could also be caused by bad power supply's, bad memory, and bad cpu's. Make certain all the cards, cpu's, memory, bios, cables and etc. are seated firmly in their slots.

If you have not changed hardware then hit F8 on startup and go to Last Known Good configuration.

Hit F8 at bootup and select a logged boot up. When the system fails reboot into safe mode and then examine the boot log (bootlog.txt) which will give you a much better idea what is causing the system to fail.

Delete all content in the Temporary Internet Files and Temp folders (NOT THE FOLDERS THEMSELVES!!!)

Run using IE. (ActiveX with need to be enabled - Place site URLs into Trusted sites);

Panda ActiveScan

HouseCall

Download, update, run and remove anything they find;

Spy Sweeper

Click the Free Trial link under to "SpySweeper" to download the program.

Install it. Once the program is installed, it will open.

It will prompt you to update to the latest definitions, click Yes.

Once the definitions are installed, click Options on the left side.

Click the Sweep Options tab.

Under What to Sweep please put a check next to the following:

Sweep Memory

Sweep Registry

Sweep Cookies

Sweep All User Accounts

Enable Direct Disk Sweeping

Sweep Contents of Compressed Files

Sweep for Rootkits

Please UNCHECK Do not Sweep System Restore Folder.

Click Sweep Now on the left side.

Click the Start button.

When it's done scanning, click the Next button.

Make sure everything has a check next to it, then click the Next button.

It will remove all of the items found.

Click Session Log in the upper right corner, copy everything in that window.

Click the Summary tab and click Finish.

Paste the contents of the session log you copied into your HJT thread.

Ewido Security Suite]

Ewido Security Suite tutorial: Version 3.5

AdAware

AdAware tutorial

SpyBot S&D

SpyBot tutorial

Make sure to go to control panel/ folder options/ view and select show hidden and system files

Also uncheck "hide file extensions of known file types"

The first thing you should do after you download HijackThis is follow this.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder.

Click My Computer, then C:\

In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.

That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT.

Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

This will allow backups to be made and saved By Hijack This in case something goes wrong.

HijackThis 1.99.1

HijackThis Quick Start Guide

After doing all this post a HJT log at Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

I will add my advice one last time. If you do not own a copy of a live version(runs from a cd) of linux, try and obtain one. If you boot your system with the linux cd and it does not crash(reboot), this will rule out the hardware being an issue. Then you can concentrate on what needs to be changed in windows, including possible driver or spyware issues. If you boot your system with a live linux cd and it still crashes, then you can assume windows is not the problem, but concentrate your efforts on figuring out which peice of hardware is to blame.

Edited by shanenin

Good morning techies ..... last night before I crashed out I check the drives as suggested ..... two were given updates by windows updates.

It was the video card and the monitor. When I when out this morning I left the machine on and it did not reboot ..... it's been almost two hours and it reboots before then ..... so it may have been the drivers.

I'm going uninstall and reinstall the bit torrent and see what happens.

I will let you guys know. Thanks to all those that took the time to post. I really appreciate that. :thumbsup:

Update

Well I ran the bit torrent and after about 40 mintues the machine reboots. It's got to be the torrent causing it. I'm running bit tornado. Each and everytime it reboots the bit torrent was running. The over two hours it ran without rebooting bit tornado was not running .... so it's got to be that.

I will check the machine again with AVG this time in safe mode along with the other spyware stuff and see what I can come up with. Then I will check and see if there is an updated version of bit tornado.

I will get back to you. Thanks

Edited by spirittoo

I tried running AVG but it shut down on me before I could. I have auto window updates that's updated.

Help!

Update: I checked windows update and no critical updates are needed. I am running AVG again and plan to run spybot .... I don't have ad aware installed.

I will give more info as I get it. If you know what is causing it to reboot please post.

Thank you for your time.

Update .... something wierd is going on with my spybot ....the language is changed and I didn't do it!

hi spirittoo

does it reboot in safe mode?

marty

Help!

Thank you for your time.

hi spirittoo

does it reboot in safe mode?

marty

Hi Marty .... I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean when it reboots at ramdom it goes into safe mode? If so no.

If you are asking if I can reboot it into safe mode ... I haven't tried that yet.

I did uncheck the auto reboot so windows would tell me what is wrong.

I got a blue screen after 57 minutes downloading using the bittorrent.

This is the message I got ...

***STOP: 0X0000000D1, (0 X 00000009, 0 X 00000002, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 000000009)

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Beginning dump or physical memory.

Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or tech support group .....

So what do you think?

Sorry if I missed it but what kind of internet connection do you have....are you using a usb modem by any chance?...google gave a vague reference to a driver issue on a Speedtouch USB modem by alcatel when searching the stop code you posted....worth checking for a driver update if you have this modem

Edited by tictoc5150