I have started playing with mono (AKA .Net for the non windows world)

but I am looking for some tutorials and starter programs I can use..I went to csharp.net (a MS site) who had some cool programs except the license

B) Platform Limitation- The licenses granted in sections 2(A) & 2(B) extend only to the software or derivative works that you create that run on a Microsoft Windows operating system product.

means I can not use them for mono or Linux..

any pointers as the MS sites all use the Microsoft Permissive License, which as I pointed out means I can not use it.

Thanks

Edited by iccaros

The MS-PL and -CL don't have the platform limitation. Where does it say that the code is under the MS-LPL or LCL? The samples I looked at didn't seem to include a license.

Edited by jcl

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/...rkit/#blackjack

then you start to download the code.. you get this page

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/eula.asp...29-4f4836532caa

here is the permissive license

Microsoft Permissive License

This license governs use of the accompanying software. If you use the software, you accept this license. If you do not accept the license, do not use the software.

1. Definitions

The terms "reproduce," "reproduction" and "distribution" have the same meaning here as under U.S. copyright law.

"You" means the licensee of the software.

"Licensed patents" means any Microsoft patent claims which read directly on the software as distributed by Microsoft under this license.

2. Grant of Rights

(A) Copyright Grant- Subject to the terms of this license, including the license conditions and limitations in section 3, Microsoft grants you a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free copyright license to reproduce the software, prepare derivative works of the software and distribute the software or any derivative works that you create.

(B) Patent Grant- Subject to the terms of this license, including the license conditions and limitations in section 3, Microsoft grants you a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free patent license under licensed patents to make, have made, use, practice, sell, and offer for sale, and/or otherwise dispose of the software or derivative works of the software.

3. Conditions and Limitations

(A) No Trademark License- This license does not grant you any rights to use Microsofts name, logo, or trademarks.

(B) Platform Limitation- The licenses granted in sections 2(A) & 2(B) extend only to the software or derivative works that you create that run on a Microsoft Windows operating system product.

(C) If you begin patent litigation against Microsoft over patents that you think may apply to the software (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit), your license to the software ends automatically.

(D) If you distribute copies of the software or derivative works, you must retain all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present in the software.

(E) If you distribute the software or derivative works in source code form you may do so only under this license (i.e., you must include a complete copy of this license with your distribution), and if you distribute the software or derivative works in compiled or object code form you may only do so under a license that complies with this license.

(F) The software is licensed "as-is." You bear the risk of using it. Microsoft gives no express warranties, guarantees or conditions. You may have additional consumer rights under your local laws which this license cannot change. To the extent permitted under your local laws, Microsoft excludes the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.

see B

Thanks,

I also found this site.. and looked deeper in the MSDN and found samples, and as you stated they seam to have no restriction on these, I was scared off by the first find.. .. I should have restated my question.

I found this site.

http://www.softsteel.co.uk/tutorials/cSharp/contents.html

I do wonder if MS is confused them selves on what there licenses say, I did not edit what I pasted so I am confused on what is the correct license, or maybe they added to the license, which sound like it would be hard to enforce.??

also any other books or information.. We are going to .net at work for these main reasons..

1) the managers Love MS.. being 20 miles from Redmond, there is lots of pressure to keep with the local boys..

2) we have be cought on a few contracts now with MS only programers to program for Linux/Unix and they have failed, they tried Wx but with code from Visual studio,and progrmaers who only know the MS libarys, it took lots of work to make the stuff compile in gcc...

3) we have new developers (like me) who are more comfertable if we can do things on mutiple platforms and do it well, c# looks like it will be the most cross compilable (rember item #1 keep Java out and C/C++ out as its not the MS Brain Child)

lastly, I am slowly convensing managment that Linux may work better in some situations, but I'm dead at even suggesting any thing but MS if current development can not be ported.

note.. the only exeption, and why they hired me, is Trusted Solaris but that is limited to just me :)

any flaws in our thinking please let me know...

Edited by iccaros
I do wonder if MS is confused them selves on what there licenses say, I did not edit what I pasted so I am confused on what is the correct license, or maybe they added to the license, which sound like it would be hard to enforce.??

It has to be intentional, they would have run it by their lawyers before they posted it. The name could be a coincidence, or they could be different versions of the same license, or it could be a modified license like the GPL+linking license. Weird in any case.

1) the managers Love MS.. being 20 miles from Redmond, there is lots of pressure to keep with the local boys..

The Redmond Reality Distortion Field. I'm familiar with it.

any flaws in our thinking please let me know...

Lots but none you can fix ;)