A quick way to get several Google programs on people's computers. And to build goodwill by providing a nice, handy one-shot download of several useful third-party tools. Google wants to be where you turn to for nearly everything- that's why they provide so many specialized search tools (Google Calculator, anyone?).

It's a very interesting concept.

From the link provided by poster:

Norton Antivirus 2005 Special Edition - Antivirus utility

Symantec

Protect your PC from viruses, worms and Trojan horses

Includes 6-month subscription to protection updates

Edited by sethook

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. Well, I like the idea, and think it's cool. The only thing I dislike about it is that they are promoting a Symantec product (Norton 2005). Personally, Norton has gotten worse over the years, for a few reasons. One they're software has become bloated, they install a million services/processes on your machine while other AV's only install one or two. Their definitions database isn't as good as other companies such as NOD32 (Eset) or Kaspersky either. Good thing there is an option to remove a piece of software you don't want. ;)

B

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. Well, I like the idea, and think it's cool. The only thing I dislike about it is that they are promoting a Symantec product (Norton 2005). Personally, Norton has gotten worse over the years, for a few reasons. One they're software has become bloated, they install a million services/processes on your machine while other AV's only install one or two. Their definitions database isn't as good as other companies such as NOD32 (Eset) or Kaspersky either. Good thing there is an option to remove a piece of software you don't want. ;)

B

I totally agree with you, in the past year, Norton doing good until NAV2004 got too buggy and that ruin their product. often i found their LiveUpdate didnt work well. My parent didnt know about what happening with Norton, they just like it because it "popular" to non-tech savvy people.

B

Couldn't have said it better myself B.

I now swear by NOD32 and have converted many people around me (especially family members) to anything but Norton.

Good thing there is an option to remove a piece of software you don't want. ;)

I agree with this also.

This is a nice little pack for beginners for basic internet protection. Just need to add a different antivirus possibly avg and add a firewall like zonealarm free.

Speaking of which, now that Sygate is gone, does anybody know of any others other than Zonealarm?

I totally agree with you, in the past year, Norton doing good until NAV2004 got too buggy and that ruin their product. often i found their LiveUpdate didnt work well. My parent didnt know about what happening with Norton, they just like it because it "popular" to non-tech savvy people.

I would actually say anything past Norton 2002 is bloated and not worth it. Also, you're right. People use Norton simply because of the name. If they weren't a big name like they are, they would have been long gone by now. ;)

B