Make Partition

Alrighty guys, heres my question. I had a spare HD, and I was like hell, I'll just install Ubuntu on it. So..ya Installing is pretty easy and things, but since I am a new Ubuntu user, I dont need the whole 80 GIG's of space on the hardrive. I was thinking of paritioning it. (20 GB's for Ubuntu, rest for Backup and Storage).

...but I have no idea how to parition with Ubuntu. I'm guessing I can use the installer CD I made, but won't it install ubuntu again? Is there any programs for Ubuntu, that can make a Fat32 Parition?

One more thing.

When I installed Ubuntu, I only had One hardrive hooked up to it, (took out the connector for my XP hardrive).

When I buy a new a jumper (I lost my other one). I am going to make the Hardrive with Windows XP my master HD and the hardrive with Ubuntu my Slave one. Would I encounter any problems If I do this? Again, Right now, I only got the Ubuntu Hardrive hooked up to the mobo/power supply.

Thanks Guys

Alrighty guys, heres my question. I had a spare HD, and I was like hell, I'll just install Ubuntu on it. So..ya Installing is pretty easy and things, but since I am a new Ubuntu user, I dont need the whole 80 GIG's of space on the hardrive. I was thinking of paritioning it. (20 GB's for Ubuntu, rest for Backup and Storage).

...but I have no idea how to parition with Ubuntu. I'm guessing I can use the installer CD I made, but won't it install ubuntu again? Is there any programs for Ubuntu, that can make a Fat32 Parition?

One more thing.

When I installed Ubuntu, I only had One hardrive hooked up to it, (took out the connector for my XP hardrive).

When I buy a new a jumper (I lost my other one). I am going to make the Hardrive with Windows XP my master HD and the hardrive with Ubuntu my Slave one. Would I encounter any problems If I do this? Again, Right now, I only got the Ubuntu Hardrive hooked up to the mobo/power supply.

Thanks Guys

You can use parted or qtparted to do it, you may be able to use it on a mounted partition but I am not sure. It might be easier to boot a knoppix disk to do it (qtparted). After you install windows you will have to install grub into the mbr of master drive. You should be able to make a fat32 partition with

mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/hdaX

If your bios lets you boot of any drive you wish you can set it to IDE0/master to install xp then to IDE0/slave and edit grub.conf/menu.lst and point it to the windows partiton

root noverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Edited by naraku9333