Add Hibernate To Shutdown Menu

when I first got my laptop, the option to hibernate was in the shutdown menu, along with: stand by, shut down, and restart. I reformated my computer and reinstalled using a generic xp home OEM cd. How would I go about adding the hibernate option back into the shutdown menu.

I tried following this guide by enableing hibernation, but it did not see to have any effect.

http://windows.about.com/library/tips/bltip512.htm

I am not sure if that option is available with Home. Read the following.

Use Hibernate and Standby to Conserve Batteries

To automatically put your computer into hibernation:

You must be logged on to your computer with an owner account in order to complete this procedure.

Open Power Options in Control Panel. (Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power Options.).

Click the Hibernate tab, select the Enable hibernate support check box, and then click Apply.

If the Hibernate tab is unavailable, your computer does not support this feature.

Click the APM tab, click Enable Advanced Power Management support, and then click Apply.

The APM tab is unavailable on ACPI–compliant computers. ACPI automatically enables Advanced Power Management, which disables the APM tab.

Click the Power Schemes tab, and then select a time period in System hibernates. Your computer hibernates after it has been idle for the specified amount of time.

My computer definately supports it. I am able to hibernate using the methods you gave earlier in the post. When I first purchased the computer, it had the hibernation icon as a forth option when I chose "turn off computer" . I decided to erase and reformat my computer using a generic xp home oem cd. Since then I am not able to get the icon to appear. I wonder if I need to edit the registry to allow this?

Thanks for all of your research :-)

I just changed the registry to enable the hotfix to work, but I do not think I have actually installed the hotfix. I am not even sure where to find this hotfix.

edit added later//

does the following mean they will sell me the hotfix?

Hotfix information

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Edited by shanenin

I realise I may be backtraking, but ...

When you do

Start, Turn Off Computer

and press SHIFT, does "Standby" change to "Hibernate" in the box?

Is there a "hiberfil.sys" file allocated in your C:\ folder?

(It is a hidden/system file, so you might need to enable displaying hidden files to see it).

Edited by CurlingSteve
When you do

Start, Turn Off Computer

and press SHIFT, does "Standby" change to "Hibernate" in the box?

I am able to hibrenate using that method.

Is there a "hiberfil.sys" file allocated in your C:\ folder?

(It is a hidden/system file, so you might need to enable displaying hidden files to see it).

I did a search of my c partition, including hidden and system files bnut did not find it. do you mean c:\windows ?

On my laptops "hiberfil.sys" is in the root (C:\) not C:\WINDOWS.

(Same folder as "pagefile.sys").

Since you can hibernate (Am I correct? Your system will properly hibernate and resume from there?) "hiberfil.sys" is somewhere on your system, even if it has been relocated.

Edited by CurlingSteve