Don't Know Where To Put This

JUST A REMINDER....On 1/9 all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. .YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS...

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS

You can do this on-line which is much easier but I suggest you do it right away.

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:

Shortcut to: https://www.donotcall.gov/register/Reg.aspx

Not entirely true.

The following is from Snopes:

All of these points have been summed up in numerous media articles, such as the following from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

There is a grain of truth in the message making it believable, but it's wrong on two counts: Not all cell phone numbers will be listed in the national directory planned for 2006. And telemarketers will not have access to the directory. It is illegal for marketers using auto-dialers — and most do — to call wireless phone numbers.

Here's the truth:

A national directory will be compiled, but numbers will be included on an opt-in basis. If a cell phone subscriber does nothing, the number will not be listed. When the directory is ready, it will be available only as part of the existing 411 directory service, accessed by calling in and asking for a specific number. It will not be published in a book or on the Internet. And it will not be sold to telemarketers.

Cell phone subscribers can list their numbers on the do-not-call registry if they choose, but there is no deadline to get on the list, as the e-mail messages now circulating suggest

There is a very good long article at the Snopes site about this.

As mentioned earlier, it is opt in only.

And it isn't for telemarketers anyhow, but directory assistance.

Yes you can list your cell phone number with the Federal Do Not Call List site, but it is not necessary to for privacy protection, as the future proposed list will be opt in only. (Though why anyone would opt in I have no idea?!)

Snopes article about cell phone list (opt-in only) versus doing Do Not Call list

This has become such a hot potato item that I personally doubt if the phone companies will ever do it at all.

The thing to seriously worry about, especially if you have only cell phone service (or computer phone service such as vonage), and no land line is the fact it wont show the 911 people your location if you dial for help and are unable to tell them where you are. That could be a major, even fatal, delay in getting assistance.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Thanks for the link.

I've been paying for these morons calling me for years. The reason is that I've had a business landline and had to forward it to my cell phone.

So I would get twenty calls a day from lowlife solicitors.

The only advice I have is to hang up on them immediately, maybe after offering a brief bit of profanity.

I did list my home number with the federal do not call list. After that I received MORE calls.

I'm of the opinion that the gov't sold the information to the solicitors.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Something's wrong, Joe. I signed up before it went into effect. When it did, all the calls just stopped. I just signed my mom up a month ago and her calls stopped within days... Why don't you relist that number?

Good idea.

I'll try that.

Thanks.

I agree,also, that you should relist your number

I get VERY few calls now and if you do get one, you should take down their

information and then turn them in. They are supposed to cross reference their call lists with the no call list and they can be fined for not doing so.