Help! Where Do I Start?

Hello everybody,

I have the intent on learning programming (to learn a new and useful skill and/or to narrow down a potential for a college major) I have never worked with any coding, with the exception of simple HTML, so I need to know what type of coding I need to learn and what the best way to learn it is.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats for diving into the wide, mysterious world of programming, xx! You have my admiration!

I have seen Dummies books on programming and I highly recommend this series--I love my XP for Dummies and my Windows98 for Dummies--they are written in "plain English" and are humorous enough to keep you interested--and I still reference them!

Another option is if you live near a college, look in the college bookstore for Programming Textbooks. Son took a "C class" this past semester, he liked his textbook (unfortunately, he returned it and I forgot what it was called, it was light bluegreen ;) ) but it included the "Microsoft Basic Visual C++ 6.0" CD (I don't know what that means, but I bet you do)

And my top recommendation--use your library! Our library is part of a cooperative and has a website. We can "order" books from libraries all over Michigan and the books arrive at our dinky little library in just a couple of days. I'd be willing to bet the library at least has the DummyBooks, probably a lot more.

Good luck and who knows, I might be posting to a future "next big program inventor" Then we can say, "we knew you when...":thumbsup:

Liz

Good luck and who knows, I might be posting to a future "next big program inventor" Then we can say, "we knew you when...":thumbsup:

Liz

I'm not sure about the next big thing, but I think I can pick it up quickly if it's like anything else. My boss (at a computer repair/build store encouraged me to start learning coding)

Microsoft Visual Basic, as far as I know, is the progam that converts the coding into a .exe program so its actually useful

I hear python is a good place to start. I personally started in Java, doesnt matter that much, but just pick something and stick through it the whole way. Its a long tedious progress. And dont think you will be able to program anything useufl after a month... or 2... or 3... or 5... i've been with java for over a year now and im still a super noob. You will want to give up a lot. But if your mind to it you can do it.

A lot of other would recommend python, so you might want to do that so you can get help here.

Is Phython useful? I wouldn't mind investing time into C++ because I'm trying to learn something useful.

I've been reading Amazon.com reviews and I am thinking in investing in the C++ Primer (5th Addition)

According to the synopsis and reviews it covers everything for beginners and is a good jump into C++

Multireply.

To be more specific - what are some good books that I could read to begin learning programming? (such as the For Dummies series)

SICP and CTM are highly recommended. SICP may be a better introductory text.

Microsoft Visual Basic, as far as I know, is the progam that converts the coding into a .exe program so its actually useful

Visual Basic is both a programming language and an integrated development environment (IDE) for that language.

Is Phython useful?

Very.

I wouldn't mind investing time into C++ because I'm trying to learn something useful.

You need a language that's useful for learning how to program. C++ is not that language. Worry about it when you're working in a domain in which it is useful.

Edited by jcl

I first tried to learn C, I got frustrated, and bored fast. It is a little tough with no programming experince. My next attempt to learn a language(after doing some bash scripting for a while) was python. Python is very easy to understand, but powerful. It is easy to write a very useful program with just a few lines of code. I use the simple python programs I have written most everyday. One huge plus to python is its code is portable, it can be used on winodows, unix(linux), mac, and many other systems.

I like this book, it is desighned for someone with NO propgramming experience, but by the end of the book it shows you how to make a simple gui game

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159200073...glance&n=283155

Update - I bought Python programming for the Absolute beginner - preogressing about a chapter every 2 days or so trying to "burn in lessons" as someone said.

Right now I have enough knowledge to write simple programs to complete math/science equations.

It's amazing - you type raw_input("\n\nPress Enter to Exit") and you have it memorized!