I currently have two PCs, one for me and one for my wife. We have cable internet, and I use a four-port D-Link router to share the connection.

Recently a wireless card was added to my work laptop. Normally I just hook my laptop into one of the empty router ports. Since the laptop has wifi capability now, I am thinking I might like using that all around the house.

I do not want to replace my current router with a wireless one because I would then need to add wireless cards to my two desktop PCs.

Is it possible to use one of the existing ports in my router to lead out to a wireless router, so that I can use the wifi connection on my laptop while maintaining the wired connection to the other two PCs? Or is there an issue running two routers like that?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MODOK

You can buy a wireless router that also has open ports for wired connections. If you want to use the router you have, buy a Wireless access point

http://www.bricklin.com/homenetwork.htm

InstallWireless Access Point

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Wireless routers have wired ethernet ports that you need. They are wonderfull all in one devices now, that connect wireless and wired devices. Be sure to get one that connects between wireless lan, and wired lan, 3com's adsl router (i know you have cable), wireless doesnt communicate with wired, but my D-Link and my Linksys do.

As well, considering your buying a new one, consider one with strong firewall support and expandability (like attach an aerial for stronger wi-fi if you need it), i would assume your also looking for one that supports the G protocoll 802.11g, and 802.11b.

Pierce