Pretty Cool Mod

Hey everybody,

I read about a pretty cool and fairly easy mod online for changing the LEDs on a floppy drive to a different color. So, I went out to radioshack and picked up one blue LED to replace the lame green one.

It was very easy to open up drive and get the piece with the LED solder points out, desolder the old one, and solder in the new. I'd recommend this to anyone with a little free time and a few dollars. I was able to do this with little soldering skills too! I'll put a pic up when I get the whole system built

There isn't much modding here, but here is one I did.

retro-Stealthing a DVD drive:

FP-Installed.jpg

Opn-driv.jpg

The open switch is remoted to the faceplate using scavenged parts from an old scsi cd drive, and so is the LED (now blue).

BH

That is one cool mod!

Can you make me a printer that looks like an old record player? :)

I like it - that's pretty neat. I'm finishing up my build as we speak (loading windows updates and drivers)

I put in a Vantec fan controller to control 3 fans and to control 2 blue cold cathode tubes in the case - I think it's pretty sweet

Hey everybody,

I read about a pretty cool and fairly easy mod online for changing the LEDs on a floppy drive to a different color. So, I went out to radioshack and picked up one blue LED to replace the lame green one.

It was very easy to open up drive and get the piece with the LED solder points out, desolder the old one, and solder in the new. I'd recommend this to anyone with a little free time and a few dollars. I was able to do this with little soldering skills too! I'll put a pic up when I get the whole system built

Who has a floppy drive anymore? :blink:

:D:P

Neat Mod.

I have a mod in mind for my room computer. Want to keep the tower in the closet right next to the desk and run extra long IDE cables to the CD drives out to the desk and extend the wires to the power button to the desk too. I might want to mount the drives to the bottom of the desk. heck I might be able to mount the entire system to the bottom of the desk getting rid of the case. (It's a big desk)

Edited by Honda_Boy
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, sorry i didn't participate in this thread more. Things got a little crazy at work after the holidays and I had to wander away. Thanks for the complements, it was a fun mod.

I really didn't think that there were that many modders here. I am going to set up a thread in chat to see if we have enough people to set up a group here.

If you are interested, my new project is being worklogged over at Jimbo's

If we cant get something going here, I am sure Jimbo would love to have us over there.

BH

I still have one but not a 5 1/4 drive. I mainly have it since the PC was built with it.

Who has a floppy drive anymore? :blink:

:D:P

Neat Mod.

I still have one but not a 5 1/4 drive. I mainly have it since the PC was built with it.

I still have 5 1/4 drives (Just in case)

I have a mod in mind for my room computer. Want to keep the tower in the closet right next to the desk and run extra long IDE cables to the CD drives out to the desk and extend the wires to the power button to the desk too. I might want to mount the drives to the bottom of the desk. heck I might be able to mount the entire system to the bottom of the desk getting rid of the case. (It's a big desk)

The official length limit for ATA is 18 inches. The longest ATA cables I can recall seeing were 36 inches.

You could of course throw the drives in USB enclosures. USB allows 5 meters, more if you use hubs or repeaters.

I also had this idea a while back, I saw it as a great way to recover desk space and leg room. One option I considered was mounting the motherboard in a small sound proof case just on the back of the desk, and extending the IDE cable to a solid mounted humidore box sitting just above it on the desktop. This design works well with particleboard computer desks. For a solid desk, you could do the same thing by removing the top drawer and mounting it there.

If you decide you really need it in the closet, you have the option of firewire as well as usb. If you don't mind shelling out a little bit of money, you can get serial ATA drives with cables up to a meter long.

You could also mount it on the wall like a piece of art. These are often called "Wall Computers".

Hope this helps, send pictures...:)

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday