Linux Email Server

Well the outside IP will change but only if I reset my modem. Otherwise then that it will not reset. So I would think things are and should be ok?

I like having a static IP for my server, but, I'm not as knowledgeable about networking as iccaros is. I think a Linux expert should field this one.

Merry Christmas, man!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the outside IP will change but only if I reset my modem. Otherwise then that it will not reset. So I would think things are and should be ok?

I like having a static IP for my server, but, I'm not as knowledgeable about networking as iccaros is. I think a Linux expert should field this one.

Merry Christmas, man!

Yeah, if you can keep the same IP you would be good to go! Post back here when you're up and running. I might give it a try:-)

Well but how do I keep it locked down then?

Yeah, if you can keep the same IP you would be good to go! Post back here when you're up and running. I might give it a try:-)

I don't know:-) Experts, help me out guys! :D

what are you talking about?? its DNS.. secure from what.. its translates names to IP and your system updates it with each new ip it gets.. most routers will do this for your or your firewall.. if you do not understand simple TCP/IP then setting up a webserver adn Email server is not something you should do, as it will be insecure as you have no Ideal how to lock it down.

Ok I am confused here. I know about IP update and things. I use the IPUpdate client on dollardns.net for DyDNS. Did you happen to check it? Now when my IP updates its address with that client will my email server work? Also, I was told that DyDNS servers were not secure so will my server be safe or not and not be blacklisted? I don't know what more I can say, other than I have a server up now but all I wanted to do was an email server as well, but ok I guess not.

what are you talking about?? its DNS.. secure from what.. its translates names to IP and your system updates it with each new ip it gets.. most routers will do this for your or your firewall.. if you do not understand simple TCP/IP then setting up a webserver adn Email server is not something you should do, as it will be insecure as you have no Ideal how to lock it down.
Ok I am confused here. I know about IP update and things. I use the IPUpdate client on dollardns.net for DyDNS. Did you happen to check it? Now when my IP updates its address with that client will my email server work? Also, I was told that DyDNS servers were not secure so will my server be safe or not and not be blacklisted? I don't know what more I can say, other than I have a server up now but all I wanted to do was an email server as well, but ok I guess not.

OMG Honky Buzz your completely clueless. you are basically looking for either and easy way to set it up, which there is no easy way, or someone to hold your hand the whole way. now i'm not try to make fun of you but the more i read your posts here the more i think that you should seriously consider getting a set of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076450744...glance&n=283155

the best we can do is guide you and lend our expertise in our spare time, don't you realize that you have to do the work yourself. but i guess you expect us to jump through the computer screen and do it for ya. you always have the option of paying a Linux Technician instead of asking FREE advice from us. so please respect others here and it would help you to listen better, or in this case, read.

so to answer your original question. NO! please do not even try setting up an email server until you have learned more. you are not ready for it.

Edited by macmarauder

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh good golly I think we are all missing the point here. I am not asking anyone to do anything for me. I am just asking with the IPUpdate client from dollardns.net that keeps my DynIP address up to date be good enough to allow my mail server to run without all the head aches that people have stated could come with having a DynIP address and running a mail server. I also want to be sure that my mail server will be safe from hackers and things. That friends is all I am asking.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh good golly I think we are all missing the point here. I am not asking anyone to do anything for me. I am just asking with the IPUpdate client from dollardns.net that keeps my DynIP address up to date be good enough to allow my mail server to run without all the head aches that people have stated could come with having a DynIP address and running a mail server. I also want to be sure that my mail server will be safe from hackers and things. That friends is all I am asking.

sorry If we are misunderstanding... but yes it will, I use it and have had zero problems.. dollardns.net could potentaly be spoofed but that would mean some one is gunnnig for you.. and if they are doing that standard DNS is just as easy to spoof.. so I don't wory about that..

check you site logs everyday

make sure your site comes up every day..

you should be good ot go..

As long as the IPUpdate does what it is supposed to do you shouldn't have a problem with name resolution. DynDNS has nothing to do with securing your server, keep apps up-to-date and use a real firewall.

Ok as in a real firewall you mean my router. That is the only router I have on now. Should I turn on anything else? I will wait to hear back. Now where will the logs be. I know where the logs are for my Apache server. Also, I have YUM nightly update enabled so everything will be good. Is there anything other that I should use for that? I have never heard of DNS or even DyDNS being spoofed yet but things happen.

So final answer, yes or no.

Ok as in a real firewall you mean my router. That is the only router I have on now. Should I turn on anything else? I will wait to hear back. Now where will the logs be. I know where the logs are for my Apache server. Also, I have YUM nightly update enabled so everything will be good. Is there anything other that I should use for that? I have never heard of DNS or even DyDNS being spoofed yet but things happen.

So final answer, yes or no.

I don't know about spoofing, but DNS servers can, and have been hacked (there's nothing you can do about it, so dont stress it). Keep a secure linux system and the server will be about as secure as it's going to be.

Yes, use a router with NAT functions at the very least and I would also use iptables (software firewall far superior to any on windows(IMO)). Read all the documentation you can find, this page has some info that may be helpfull.

Edited by naraku9333
So will I be ok or should I get the firewall?
iptables (software firewall far superior to any on windows(IMO)).

You seem pretty concerned about security, so yeah get the firewall.

Edited by naraku9333

to add..

people keep asking software or hardware firewall...

well let me be the first to say (today)

that there is no such thing as a hardware firewall..

There are programable chips that are firewalls but they are still a program..

so to help

Monowall, Shorewall, Devils Linux are examples of firewall unix distrobutions (BSD and Linux) that use Iptables.. some also use JAILS, others remove the console. but in any case they are firewalls.

iptables is a Kernel level function and can act aat the lowest levels of the OS..

people argue about software firewalls VS hardware because they

A. do not understand firewalls, other then setting them up

B. are used to windows firewall software.

in windows, a firewall will act at the System (see service) level or the user level. but not the kernel level. so there is one level lower in window that can be compermised and make having a firewall useless.

in the *nix world (and maybe the future windows world) you can have a firewall on the same box as your server.

so read up on Iptables... and find out how to add it to your box.

JAILS see http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/09/04/jails.html for more informaiton, will allow you to seperate services on the server so that if one is compermised the others are not effected. Xen for linuix works the same way...

you can keep your current router, create a xen or jail to house the firewall and port triger for the web server and email server.. both in there own VM...

this is the safest way to do in IMHO

Edited by iccaros
Jebus that is a lot of work. I think I will just stick with what I have and leave this be.

sorry its what I do for a living so..

I woudl suggest just tring some thing like Doteasy or another host.. I use Doteasy for my linux site.. it run on Red Hat and they give me my own Jail so I don't have to worry..

at doteasy do they run on CentOS? Also, what do you have to pay for a Jail? Also, how did you setup your mail server? I am not asking you to hold my hand but help me see what it is I need to do so I can move forward.

sorry its what I do for a living so..

I woudl suggest just tring some thing like Doteasy or another host.. I use Doteasy for my linux site.. it run on Red Hat and they give me my own Jail so I don't have to worry..

at doteasy do they run on CentOS

no, they run Red Hat AS 3, does it matter?

Also, what do you have to pay for a Jail

depends on bandwidth needed.. I pay $125 a year (including the 8 dollor DNS regestration

Also, how did you setup your mail server?

you add email address, email is already setup using qmail