Linux Email Server

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Jebus. did you try doing this? and if so did it work?

No I have not set-up an e-mail server, like you I run a web server.

I hope the link gives you a good starting point in getting your e-mail server up and running. The experts here can provide you with further information if you need it.

Good luck in setting up sendmail. Merry Christmas, Honky Buzz! :D

well it would be nice to see if someone on here could help me do it. I would love to have everything in house.

Holy Jebus. did you try doing this? and if so did it work?

No I have not set-up an e-mail server, like you I run a web server.

I hope the link gives you a good starting point in getting your e-mail server up and running. The experts here can provide you with further information if you need it.

Good luck in setting up sendmail. Merry Christmas, Honky Buzz! :D

well it would be nice to see if someone on here could help me do it. I would love to have everything in house.

The experts log-on to this forum frequently. Please be patient as you wait for a reply. Thanks, and Merry Christmas! :D

ok like I said I would love to have someone walk me through it so I don't mess it up in the process and then screw my HTTP/FTP server.

The experts log-on to this forum frequently. Please be patient as you wait for a reply. Thanks, and Merry Christmas! :D

ok like I said I would love to have someone walk me through it so I don't mess it up in the process and then screw my HTTP/FTP server.

I have no experience with an email server. Just a thought, don't most ISPs block port 25, which is needed to serve email

Edited by shanenin
Maybe I am not sure. I am on DSL so they may or may not.

I have no experience with an email server. Just a thought, don't most ISPs block port 25, which is needed to serve email

I'm on DSL too, I like it.

Perhaps you should contact your ISP and ask them if they permit running a home e-mail server.

Who is your DSL company. Mine is Alltel.

I'm on DSL too, I like it.

Perhaps you should contact your ISP and ask them if they permit running a home e-mail server.

My ISP is a company called CityWest located in Northern B.C., Canada. :D

ok so do they allow it there?

I'm not sure, I've never run an e-mail server so I've never asked. Different ISPs have different rules. Some ISPs block port 80 and won't let you run an Apache web server.

Your best bet is to contact your company directly and find out for yourself.

ok so do they allow it there?

I'm not sure, I've never run an e-mail server so I've never asked. Different ISPs have different rules. Some ISPs block port 80 and won't let you run an Apache web server.

Your best bet is to contact your company directly and find out for yourself.

which linux distro are you running..

I personally like open Xchange http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/

its not simple to install, but it's great experiance..

since you are running centOS, Here is a how-to fro qmail.. teh person created a script for centOS that you download (the wget command) and untar. then run..

it will set the basics up for you.

from the site..

Step 1: Download Install Scripts and run them. Current Version of these Scripts are 2.9- June 13th 2004

cd /root

Download the latest Install Scripts

wget http://www.askdavis.com/qmailtoaster/toasterscripts-current.tgz

Untar the compressed file

tar zxvf toasterscripts-current.tgz

The files should be expanded into folder called toasterscripts

Navigate into the toasterscripts folder

cd toasterscripts

Run the checkdeps script. Answer any questions you are asked, and do what you are told.

sh checkdeps.sh

Read the README file inside this folder.

more README

Make sure your hostname is set. You can verify what it is set to by typing the following:

uname -n

If it is not set correctly, then click here and follow the instructions here. http://www.cpqlinux.com/hostname.html

Set your mysql password, by typing:

mysqladmin -u root password newpasswordhere  
mysqladmin -u root -p reload
mysqladmin -u root -p refresh

Run the toasterinstall.sh script. If you want the Development Packages, then run:

sh devel-toasterinstall.sh

sh toasterinstall.sh

All Done! If everything went as planned, you have completely installed the qmail toaster! Pretty simple? I sure hope it was an enjoyable experience. Now it is time to configure your Server!

Step 2: Log in and add at least one domain

Restart Apache and MySQL just to be sure they are running.

service httpd restart
service mysqld restart

On another machine on your local network, navigate to:

http://mymailserverip/admin-toaster/ <- Notice the Trailing Slash... You must have it or the link will not work.

Login as: admin with Password: toaster

First thing, is to change the Admin Password. Go ahead and put in the "old" password (toaster) and change it.

Click on the vqadmin button, then click "Add Domain"

Add a domain (make sure it is valid). Under the Options section be sure to REMOVE the 0 in any field that you want working! Just leave them blank for unlimited! Under: Quota in bytes, put "NOQUOTA" for un unlimited quota.

Click Add Domain

Now, click Add e-mail account and add an e-mail account such as "[email protected]" and then a pass and such. You must type a quota (in bytes) or put in, "NOQUOTA" for unlimited. Then add the user.

Time to log in with a Mail Client such as Outlook Express or Thunderbird and see if you can log in. Make sure that your UserID is your full e-mail address! (Example: [email protected])

Edited by iccaros

yes a email is a lot of work, even MS excahnge has as many steps , while its with a gui, a step is a step.. all you need to do is hilight the code and use the middle button to past it into a command line.. no need to type

I was told that have a Dyn IP that I could not do it.

yes a email is a lot of work, even MS excahnge has as many steps , while its with a gui, a step is a step.. all you need to do is hilight the code and use the middle button to past it into a command line.. no need to type

That's a drag! Would it cost you a lot of money to buy a static IP for your server? If so, then you could use iccaros's excellent instructions and set it up. :D

Do you think I should look into it or could I do it with the dollardns.net stuff?

It is like $5 I think but I use P2P servers and I like to have the changing IP every now and then. For the most part the IP does not change that often. I use the IPUpdate on dollarns.net to update my IP address when it changes. So should I still be ok or not?
Do you think I should look into it or could I do it with the dollardns.net stuff?

It is like $5 I think but I use P2P servers and I like to have the changing IP every now and then. For the most part the IP does not change that often. I use the IPUpdate on dollarns.net to update my IP address when it changes. So should I still be ok or not?

I like having a static IP for my server, but, I'm not as knowledgeable about networking as iccaros is. I think a Linux expert should field this one.

Merry Christmas, man!