Windows Updates Be Installed Manually?

Can a person download all of windows updates with a fast connection, then transfere them to a different computer and install them? My uncle has only dial-up and was asking me about this. I know you can manually download sp2, and install that, but what about all of the updates since sp2

edit added later//

I know my friend has an executable that will install sp2, which I am able to get from him. I would prefer just to download it from microsoft, but can't seem to find it. They only seem to be offereing to sell my the cds, or use windows update to get it.

Edited by shanenin

I'm new here, but I don't think you can download on one PC and transfer to another PC. Because MS when downloading verify's the copy of Windows and plus if they have already been downloaded to your PC I don't think it will do it again.

Why don't you connect their PC to your connection and download it though your high speed connection

The Microsoft Download Center is another source for standalone versions of updates you can store or burn.

Open Windows Updates then click "Use administrator options".

That page has links to the Windows Update Catalog and the Microsoft Download Center (which is more current from what I've seen).

if autopatcher works well, it will be a great solution. I like the thought of it automating the install process of all of the individual updates.

I am going to take a look later at the microsoft download site. Can you download and install the the whole months worth of updates together, or does each indivdual update need to be downloaded and installed seperately?

As far as I can tell, each update from the Microsoft Download Center has to be downloaded separately.

But at least once you have that copy you don't have to download it again.

I suppose you could write a script or batch file to install them all, but I haven't tried it.

There are also ways to write an unattended installation file that guides XP's installation process automatically.

That file has answers to all the questions XP has along the way.

I haven't tried it, but if you want I can try to hunt up some links about it.

Are you familiar with Slipstreaming?

This process lets you create an XP Installation CD with the SP2 updates integrated already.

So when you install using this CD you're at the XP-SP2 level.

The updates you download from Windows Update Catalog or Microsoft Download Center can be merged into that image as well.

It's tedious, but the final CD is as up to date as possible.

There is software available to automate the CD creation process.

One I've been trying (and liking) is nLite.

In theory you can create a CD that includes XP, drivers, and updates all in one package.

And you can script the install process so it runs unattended.

I haven't tried pushing nLite to the limit yet, but I have succesfully created and used CD's that have all the updates through the end of November.

I've had some trouble integrating drivers and haven't tried the unattended style yet, but I'm fairly sure my problems are the way Dell packages their "reinstall the drivers" CD.

Things go fine if I just let XP handle XP and install the drivers Dell's way.

Edited by CurlingSteve
Autopatcher will let you handle this in a time-efficient way.

Wow that program is great. It gives you all different options of things to update including registry tweaks, other great windows tools. I chose critical updates and reccomeneded updates. It installed 68 of them for me in just about 15 minutes.