Ok....i'm Back

looking back at my posts on dec 12 I have more questions. I downloaded a file that said "live cd". it was a zip file so I unzipped it. now I have the file that says"live cd.iso" my question is what am I supposed to do with this file? I wrote this file to cd and rebooted but nothing happened. is there something else I need to do to this file? I am more confused.

looking back at my posts on dec 12 I have more questions. I downloaded a file that said "live cd". it was a zip file so I unzipped it. now I have the file that says"live cd.iso" my question is what am I supposed to do with this file? I wrote this file to cd and rebooted but nothing happened. is there something else I need to do to this file? I am more confused.

An iso file needs to be burned as an image, not just copied.

bubba bob...I appreciate that link but I'm using winme.

jimras...I thank you also. I did the image thing and it worked...sort of.

thanks to you also hitest.

more info here....it loaded up but said I didn't have emulation...it worked partially...it showed the desptop but no files..I'm gonna find another version.

I'll be baaaaaaaack.

bubba bob...I appreciate that link but I'm using winme.

jimras...I thank you also. I did the image thing and it worked...sort of.

thanks to you also hitest.

more info here....it loaded up but said I didn't have emulation...it worked partially...it showed the desptop but no files..I'm gonna find another version.

I'll be baaaaaaaack.

Hey bearskin,

What type of Live CD are you using? We can suggest a different version for you. :D

something called reactos. it was like 48 megs. ubuntu is like 600 megs thats why I didn't try that. I found knoppix that is like 50 megs...I'm gonna get that. oh, and I only have 128 megs ram on this computer but I was hoping to get something that would run on the junker with 32 megs ram.

Edited by bearskin
something called reactos. it was like 48 megs. ubuntu is like 600 megs thats why I didn't try that. I found knoppix that is like 50 megs...I'm gonna get that. oh, and I only have 128 megs ram on this computer but I was hoping to get something that would run on the junker with 32 megs ram.

Knoppix is good. The unit with 128 MB of RAM should run Knoppix just fine. Here are the specs for running Knoppix:

What are the minimum system requirements?

* Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),

* 32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products),

* bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),

* standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,

* serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

ReactOS is a reimplementation of Windows NT. Not related to Linux.

Interesting, I've never heard of ReactOS. Has ReactOS been around for awhile, jcl?

I'm glad Bearskin is becoming interested in Linux.

later,

hitest :D

Interesting, I've never heard of ReactOS. Has ReactOS been around for awhile, jcl?

The project started in earnest in '98. It's slowly approaching compatibility with WinNT 4.0 with a bit of W2k and WinXP thrown in. Application compatibility seems to be fairly good considering its current state and there's some support for NT drivers.

The project started in earnest in '98. It's slowly approaching compatibility with WinNT 4.0 with a bit of W2k and WinXP thrown in. Application compatibility seems to be fairly good considering its current state and there's some support for NT drivers.

Sweet. :D

Thanks, jcl! I run a dual boot with Ubuntu 5.10 and Win 2000 Pro, it might be fun to try ReactOS out. I haven't heard of too many live Windows CDs. Cool. :D

well no wonder the dam thing didn't work...hahaha thanks

well since I already have a copy of nt 4.0 I guess I could throw that on one of my other machines.

anyway I got another machine out in the shop that has 128 megs ram...I'm still looking ....thanks for all the info.

Edited by bearskin

well no wonder the dam thing didn't work...hahaha thanks

well since I already have a copy of nt 4.0 I guess I could throw that on one of my other machines.

anyway I got another machine out in the shop that has 128 megs ram...I'm still looking ....thanks for all the info.

We are pleased you're getting interested in Linux. I like windows 2000, it is good software. But, my favorite software is Linux. Linux rules:-)

ok...I'm back again. I posting this with Puppy Linux. gonna take me a while to get everything straightened out. can´t get my printer to work yet. keybord is quirky also. be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Cool, nicely done, bearskin! Congratulations! :D

ok...I'm back again. I posting this with Puppy Linux. gonna take me a while to get everything straightened out. can´t get my printer to work yet. keybord is quirky also. be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

for the printer you may have to install stuff (I use puppy as a server, so never tried printing.. I also work in a UNIX enviroment so I have printers shared with CUPS and LP, so no need to make anything work, as they automaticly show up as a printer on all other unix boxes..)

keyboard quirk could be an old slow machine tyied with a Live CD (seee 10 X slower then installed on slow cdrom drives)