Hello all! I'm bord so I thought I would ask a question. By adding 2GB's of ram would it be useful or a waste? Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question LOL! I have 1GB of ram already. Would I see more of a differance with 2GB's or not?

Thanks for the help

Sceeter32

Edited by sceeter32
Jsut before you shutdown your system after a typical session, open Task Manager and take a look at the Performance tab.

The Commit Charge, Peak value is an indicator of the most memory you used during the session.

If that's less than 1 GB you aren't likely to see any difference going to 2 GB.

Ok thank I try that in task manager

Sceeter32

with all the mess on my system always has about 600-650MB free at idle. for a good gaming rig 2GB alone is usely only in dream machines and is just a tiny iota from being overkill. 3GB is just insane man.

with all the mess on my system always has about 600-650MB free at idle. for a good gaming rig 2GB alone is usely only in dream machines and is just a tiny iota from being overkill. 3GB is just insane man.

My boss's buddy has a dream machine with a 4400+ X2 with 4G of OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Ram that's overclocked like crazy on a ASUS AN8-SLI Premier. He made fun of me when I told him about my system and asked if I was going to get 2 7800GTX's in SLI

If only money wasn't an object

My boss's buddy has a dream machine with a 4400+ X2 with 4G of OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Ram that's overclocked like crazy on a ASUS AN8-SLI Premier. He made fun of me when I told him about my system and asked if I was going to get 2 7800GTX's in SLI

If only money wasn't an object

Ya "Money" That one alway get us lol I guess it's the braggin right lol

Sceeter32

I found the bill to my old computer - my parents spent $3000 on it in 1999, I can't even IMAGINE spending that much today - you would have such a machine

Ya you would have a kick a$$ machine probally the best on the block

Battlefield 2 seems to benefit from memory increases up to 2 GB, on otherwise fairly potent systems. Some applications (Photoshop) chew through RAM like mad.

Otherwise, no.

Ya was thinking buy this brand of ram cause my ram that I have is valued ram. For $129.95 I can have 512mbx2 with faster memory timing.

ocz.jpg

But I'm asking my self should I or shouldn't I

I guess it's up in the air for now lol

Sceeter32 :matrix:

Edited by sceeter32

Timings don't make a huge difference, unless you're overclocking. And if you combine your existing memory with the new set, you're limited by the slowest memory. I've also heard it said that filling all 4 banks on an Athlon 64 system forces CAS latency to 3, though I don't know if this is true.

Upgrading just for better timings, unless you overclock, would be a waste of money.

Timings don't make a huge difference, unless you're overclocking. And if you combine your existing memory with the new set, you're limited by the slowest memory. I've also heard it said that filling all 4 banks on an Athlon 64 system forces CAS latency to 3, though I don't know if this is true.

Upgrading just for better timings, unless you overclock, would be a waste of money.

Good Point Aluvus I was going to take my kingston ram out and replace it with the OCZ ram but if theres no different in speed then I should keep what I got

Sceeter32