Well, ya, I recently discovered that I can get Mcafee Virus scan and firewall free. (I got Comcast as my ISP, they give it away for free), well anyways, yall think I should get it?

Right now I'm using Avast Free..with Ad-Aware...Spyware Guard...Spyware Blaster...with router/windows xp sp2 firewall.

I'm a Mcafee Antivirus and Firewall user, and although there are many who call it "Mcrappy", I've had very good luck with it! It's easy to use, has automatic updates, email scanning, all the perks. The Mcafee website had a forum last I knew, which to me is a great thing if you have questions or problems.

AND the Mcafee Firewall should be better than MS--if I remember right, MSFirewall only blocks "incoming" cooties, where Mcafee blocks "outgoing", also.

Although you should not run more than one firewall (just disable MS firewall, don't remove it--Mcafee does "borrow it temporarily" when there is a firewall update) and virusscanner, make sure you keep your anti spyware gadgets, you should have more than one of those, as each catches different cooties.

And free? This noob says "go for it" :thumbsup:

Liz

Without reading the "fine print" of Comcast's offer, it could be that, HardDrives, but I'm assuming it is free as long as you keep Comcast's internet service--that's what Charter is doing for its "highest speed" broadband--offering virus protection, etc as long as you pay the internet bill. Sixpac, you should read that "fine print" before jumping into anything, as HardDrives does have a good point!

But if it is a temporary thing--Mcafee often runs "free with rebate" specials in Best Buy, Office Max, Circuit City, etc. ads (usually in the Fall and Winter months, I remember one of those places has a rebate deal right now). I've been getting Mcafee "free" for the past 5 years. :)

Liz

Speaking of "Free After Rebate", here is a link to take a look at some internet security and anti virus software.

Free After Rebate

Read all the pages, as different stores have different rebates. Make sure you read the expiration dates.

This site changes often with different rebates.

Like Liz says, check the different stores to see what they each have to offer.

Barb :D

Well, ya, I recently discovered that I can get Mcafee Virus scan and firewall free. (I got Comcast as my ISP, they give it away for free), well anyways, yall think I should get it?

Right now I'm using Avast Free..with Ad-Aware...Spyware Guard...Spyware Blaster...with router/windows xp sp2 firewall.

I'm gunna have to say No. I used to be a McAfee user, and I will never be again. McAfee VS is rather demanding on system resources, and won't get you any better virus detection than AVG or Avast. I finally left McAfee when after every boot, I would get an error that everything was disfunctional with the suite. At first I thought I was infected with some malware, but eventually rules that out. I contact McAfee, and they said it was an error message that people are getting, but they didn't know how to fix it. They asked for an eroor log (which I sent). After 2 weeks, no reply, I dumped it and got AVG. If you want a free firewall, go with Kerio or ZA.

Just my two cents :mellow:

Matt

I'm another happy McAfee user. Now.

A few years ago updates were often causing crashes, but there has been no trouble since that time. Everything runs smoothly. [edit] Oops, I had a corrupt file twice in the last year and had to reinstall, other than not knowing the correct procedure and taking a ton o' time to figure it out, after reinstalling things went smoothly. I won't hold that against them since a previous free firewall crashed my system so bad I had to reformat & reinstall. They all fail from time to time I guess. [/edit]

I practice "safe computing" for the most part (I do open attachments from friends & family though) and the only viral infection I ever got was due to my surfing habits at the time (uh-hem -- no comment). McAfee has always found them and cleaned 'em up without a hitch.

I have followed links from places like forums and McAfee has popped up a warning that the site is malicious, stopping "drive-by" downloads in their tracks.

They seem to have a tremendous crew updating signatures, I get automatic updates almost daily. Once in a blue moon, twice a day.

When I was forwarding tons o' stuff it would stop my e-mail program and warn me that there were a suspicious number of e-mails being sent at one time and asked if I wanted to continue or not, preventing my computer from being hijacked as a mail server.

It knows legitimate programs automatically and allows new ones to work without having to teach the firewall each and every time you install or update a program -- you can choose to let it tell you when it recognizes and allows a program or ignore it when it does this. And of course it stops unrecognized programs from connecting to the WWW unless you give it the OK.

Among dozens of other features.

Yes, some other free ones may do all that, those features might be expected of any security suite, but if you can get McAfee free, I wouldn't hesitate.

Edited by JDoors

Now that's something I wouldn't know--both my idiot boxes came with Mcafee already installed on them, so I wouldn't know a "before and after" difference--unless there is an easy way to check (I'm not going into the bios or system or the registry, nuh, uh!), then I'll check my machine for you. :)

Liz

...well my system isint that good to start with.

Celeron 2.6

768 MB of RAM

Intrgrated Graphics and Sound

....and I run a lot of stuff.

Like Photoshop CS...Dreamweaver..I play Counter Strike 1.6 a lot.

Is McAfee...really a system resource hogger?

yes it is, on average McAfee has 14 different files to run at startup, 6 different services running at all times. 3 browser helper objects, and 3 integrated browser buttons. below you will see from a common Hijack This log running Mcafee how much is really running to support this program.

I have highlighted the Mcafee entries in the log for you to see.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 11:57:14 AM, on 10/17/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe

c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe

c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe

C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe

c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1127241032\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe

c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe

C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\bin\mpbtn.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\****\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://bfc.myway.com/search/de_srchlft.html

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 127.0.0.1:8080

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - - (no file)

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll

O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll

O2 - BHO: McAfee Anti-Phishing Filter - {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SPAMKI~1\mskagent.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1127241032\ee\AOLSoftware.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ptrun32] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ptrun32\ptrun32.exe -startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SPAMKI~1\mskagent.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PTRUN32] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ptrun32\ptr32w.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iMArchive_Start] C:\Program Files\IMArchive\IMArchive.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoodAIM] C:\Program Files\GoodAIM\GoodAIM\GoodAIM.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Extreme Messenger for AIM] C:\Program Files\Extreme Messenger\ExtremeMessenger.exe nosplash

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [a-squared] "C:\Program Files\a2\a2guard.exe"

O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe

O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Verizon Online Support Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Online\bin\matcli.exe

O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: &eBay Search - res://C:\Program Files\eBay\eBay Toolbar2\eBayTb.dll/RCSearch.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to AD Black List - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddToADBlackList.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Block All Images from the Same Server - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddAllToADBlackList.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Highlight - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Highlight.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Open All Links in This Page... - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenAllLinks.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Open In New Avant Browser - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenInNewBrowser.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Search - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Search.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html

O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee Anti-Phishing Filter - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe

O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll

O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=39204&clcid=0x409

O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/m...90/mcinsctl.cab

O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll

O23 - Service: dlbt_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbtcoms.exe

O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe

O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe

O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

I hope this shows how much of a resource hog it truly is. and Norton from Symantec is just as bloated. note this log shows the entire McAfee Personal Security Suite in operation. If you only use the AV or firewall from Mcafee you won't have as much stuff running.

Celeron 2.6

768 MB of RAM

Umm, I have a PIII 750Mhz, 256RAM, and run Windows '98SE (please send money). If McAfee were a resource hog my machine wouldn't run at all ('9x is extremely sensitive to available resources).

I think Dragon illustrate the issue vey well...and i've found that the key is staying away from any vendors' "suite" program...these integrated overreaching programs can make your computer life miserable...

that said..i have had no problems whatsoever with McAfee Virus Scan as a standalone...it's saved my butt a number of times...and i feel the yearly $30.00 subscribtion fee is money well spent...

when there are the ever evolving nasties attacking us from every which way,,,my VS has updated itself as many as 4 times in a single day...

Celeron 2.6

768 MB of RAM

Umm, I have a PIII 750Mhz, 256RAM, and run Windows '98SE (please send money). If McAfee were a resource hog my machine wouldn't run at all ('9x is extremely sensitive to available resources).

hi Jdoors, one thing to take into consideration, 98SE doesn't use services like 2000/XP. so those files in the HJT log under O23 lines don't get installed. and thats where the resource hogging on 2k/xp machines happen.

Dragon:

What a great analogy. I knew Norton was a resource hog, as it slowed my computer down a lot (2005 ver).

I didn't really understand exactly what it meant by "resource hog" This visual completely explains it.

I dumped Norton 2005, and got PC-cillin 2005, and my computer is now faster. Is TrendMicro PC-cillin also considered a resource hog? It is the internet security and antivirus combo.

Barb

I noticed a lot of those entries weren't on my machine but I attributed that to the apparent fact that the log showed the installation of every possible McAfee security and safety product known to mankind. ;) I just use the firewall and antivirus. However, I do have antispam protection, anti-this and anti-that, so I have many entries that duplicate the ones shown for McAfee, only from different sources. If you want anti-everything you're gonna have a bunch of entries, if you use one brand then all those entries will be for that brand. I don't think that should automatically be considered an indictment of McAfee.

Maybe it's my old fashioned logic, but isn't XP essentially immune to "resource" problems? Resources being the memory Windows sets aside for housekeeping chores (vaguely defined). Are you using the term "resource" as a substitute for RAM & processor cycles? That would make more sense. A product that installs a lot of devices and such will use more RAM (which shouldn't be a problem since most systems come with or are upgraded to adequate RAM, plus many devices are not active until needed) and more processor cycles (which shouldn't be much of a problem with giga-hertz systems, I mean mine's only 3/4 of ONE gigahertz and it's fine, and again, many aren't active until called upon).

Maybe it's my old fashioned logic, but isn't XP essentially immune to "resource" problems? Resources being the memory Windows sets aside for housekeeping chores (vaguely defined). Are you using the term "resource" as a substitute for RAM & processor cycles? That would make more sense.

With windows 2k/XP resources now refer to ram and processor cycles. Unlike Windows 9x/me, Windows 2k/XP doesn't set aside memory for housekeeping chores.

Edited by Dragon

I just have to believe that there are too many corporate IT professionals running Norton and McAfee on their business PCs that a big problem with resources and functionality takes place. And, the average business PCs aren't know for their overabundance of ram and processor speed. Now if you're building a super-la-gerra, belch fire V8 PC and tuning it to the inth degree, then these AV suites make make a difference. Ma and Pa Kettle surfing the web, doing their email and banking, and playing a few hands of solitaire every night won't notice from a hill of beans any performance degradation brought on by additional resources being used up by the suites. The protection far out ways the restrictions.

I just have to believe that there are too many corporate IT professionals running Norton and McAfee on their business PCs that a big problem with resources and functionality takes place. And, the average business PCs aren't know for their overabundance of ram and processor speed. Now if you're building a super-la-gerra, belch fire V8 PC and tuning it to the inth degree, then these AV suites make make a difference. Ma and Pa Kettle surfing the web, doing their email and banking, and playing a few hands of solitaire every night won't notice from a hill of beans any performance degradation brought on by additional resources being used up by the suites. The protection far out ways the restrictions.

for ma and pa kettle that only use the system for email, minor surfing, and banking your right. But based on what sixpacgenius uses his comp for it can degrade what he does on it.

Another thing you need to take into consideration, most Corporate IT pros computers are hooked up to a server that has more power then your average ma and pa kettle's computer. so the IT pros won't see the degradation of the system. Most corporate computers I've ever worked on, don't even have a local security suite set up, The security is taken care of by the server they are connected too.

Mcafee, and Norton are both resource hogs.

Never had a problem running Norton AntiVirus 2005 on my windows98SE machine with only 192ram, my computer still ran fine...

If you like Avast why not keep using it? Yes McAfee antivirus does have higher detection rates then Avast but doesnt seem too take up as much resources and possibly provides a different range of protection then McAfee does...I say stick with Avast unless you think avast is not protecting you as much as you like..