My other computer I have a dell dimension 8200 that the CD-DVD, and DVD-R, and floopy drive stopped working I tried a new IDE cable changing the master and slave settings updating drivers nothing worked. So this morning I called dell to tell them i need to send my dell in to get worked on I told her my problem she said "ok let me forward you to the tech support guys" so I get put on hold for 30 min ok the tech support guy wanted to know what the problem was I told him he said "ok lets me forward you to someone" get put on hold for 45 min I talked to anther tech guy he asked me the same question I just tol him I want to send it in he be fixed he said ok and put me on hold for another 30 min he came back on and said "ok just send it in to be worked on".

Two hours wasted errrr :angry2::angry2::angry2::angry::angry:

Heheh...don't you just LUV tech support?

While I think that you may have "exaggerated" somewhat on the wait times, it's still typical of what tech support at OEM's have degenerated into.

"Thank you....come again..! (in my best Ahpoo voice)

About your issue tho, did you check to see if there were any errors about an IDE Controller in the Event Viewer? I'd think that this may be the problem here since the IDE cable has been ruled out so far.

Edited by Chappy

I've never had the pleasure of contacting Dell, but have you ever called Microsoft to reactivate Windows?

Shoot me in the head several hundred times - please!

Every now and then I have to call in for work, and each call follows the pattern of:

Read off a 30-some digit code to a computer

Hold for 15-30 Minutes

Read the SAME code to an operator :cough not American cough:

Type in the code they read off to you - and it's almost impossible to understand some of them

There you go, when I am on my deathbed, I am going to with back for the hours wasted calling in to Microsoft

When we first got our Dell, I called techsupport (with a really dumb question, by the way, but I wasn't about to screw up my warranty!) and got great help from a Midwesterner named Steve.

A few months later, a MS Update goofed something up and I got "Reeeeeta", who was obviously not from N. America. "Rita" also was obviously reading from a manual and we did the "fix" 7 times (Gad, I still remember all the steps to this day!) until she had me do a system restore. After it was fixed, I went to Google (this was before I joined here) and found the "proper fix"!

These stories sure makes me appreciate all you tech gurus here :wub: Thank you! :wub:

Liz

They got to get rid of those stupid manuals and get people that have real experieces with computers work for the tech support of these companys. Manuals are useless in my own opinion.

Sceeter32

Edited by sceeter32

i contacted Linksys tech support and ask for their help because my Wireless-G PCI Adapter is not working in it, i already installed the driver and the software. so i been on tech support for 4 hours trying to solve the problem with my computer, so i decide to stop and ran to my neighbor for his help, he a IT guy work with a IP company, he Senior IT. so i ask his help, he found out that the motherboard driver wasnt installed because he switched the motherboard to work with a newer processor, and forgot to install the motherboard. so he installed it and it works!

Linksys pissed me of too. I was installing my wireless router and all I ended up needing was to go to their website (linksys.com/easy) to download a new driver, but I the person (once again, not American) had me unplug everything and replug it like 25 times!

I learned a fun trick when Microsoft people piss me off. When they start reading out the numbers, pause for a really long time and ask for them to repeat them OVER AND OVER. Make them feel the same you do for having an idiot on the other end of the line!

Just remember the people at tech support get their jollies telling each other about the dumb asses that called that day with their self inflicted and stupid problems. How many people grab the phone before spending time with the manual or really are in over their heads to begin with? Goes both way folks.

Edited by sethook
Just remember the people at tech support get their jollies telling each other about the dumb asses that called that day with their self inflicted and stupid problems. How many people grab the phone before spending time with the manual or really are in over their heads to begin with? Goes both way folks.

Sethook, I have to admit, I'm a phone grabber! BUT y'all know me--I need plain English, step-by-step, preferably with pictures and hand holding. Unless a manual is one of the Dummies Books, I'm lost in the lingo. Ah, noobs.... :unsure:

Liz

Sethook, I have to admit, I'm a phone grabber! BUT y'all know me--I need plain English, step-by-step, preferably with pictures and hand holding. Unless a manual is one of the Dummies Books, I'm lost in the lingo. Ah, noobs.... :unsure:

Liz

We all jump too quick at times. Frustration brings it on. I just always hate to hear folks rip the tech support people who are just working at their jobs like everyone else. If they didn't have so many stupid questions thrown at them by less than knowledgable folks, they could probably answer legitimate calls in a faster time frame. As for where they're located and what nationality they are, most of them can't control it. They're only doing what they were hired to do. People who are upset with dealing with foreign tech support reps should refrain from buying products from those manufactures who uses them and stop putting themselves in the position they find themselves. .....End of stump speech.....

Edited by sethook

I wouldn’t bet on exaggerated wait times from DELL. Thank god I got smart and stopped being and onsite warranty tech doing DELL work 4 years was plenty. And unfortunately when all the phone support went over seas the onsite techs had to call there too and they treated us as if we were no better than the customer. I was told once that I was not a computer tech just a parts swapper and had no clue what I was talking about

Edited by bubbabear

My favorite things is when the Microsoft people ask you if you have installed this copy of Windows on more than one computer - I'm always tempted to be like "yeah, it's on this one and like 25 other ones, and I plan on loaning it to my buddy tomorrow" :D

I've never had the pleasure of contacting Dell, but have you ever called Microsoft to reactivate Windows?

Read off a 30-some digit code to a computer

Hold for 15-30 Minutes

Read the SAME code to an operator

Type in the code they read off to you -

I don't think that whole process has ever taken me more then 5 minutes, and I do it quite often. Maybe I'm just lucky

I don't think that whole process has ever taken me more then 5 minutes, and I do it quite often. Maybe I'm just lucky

Most likely... Have you noticed that lately they are starting to ask a lot more questions about why you are loading XP again, what model your motherboard is, where you bought the computer, if you built it - where do you live? Stuff like that, I just go "uhh.... I'm not sure"