This Is Interesting

ok, last night I was just surfing the web randomly, something I like to do every now and then, just to see some of the odd names I come up with and see if anyone is using it for a website. anyway, back to my situation. appearantly one of the websites I went to has the clkspiel.exe programmed into their code somewhere, probably an ad, I found out about it when I went to do something and an error box came up saying that "clkspiel.exe is a windows program.

Being a malware killer, I knew what it was, so I closed out the window. now the interesting part, I had to boot into my Windows harddrive this morning, when I booted back to ubuntu I got a standard Terminal window up waiting for me to put something in. is there a way to fix this???

I don't know bash scripting, and looking around in my directories I didn't find any files, even hidden ones, that were out of the ordinary. so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

is this correct. Normally when you boot into ubuntu you go directly into a gui, but this last time you booted directly into a command line?

you could try to run the command gdm, this may start your login manager, if it does not, what errors does it output?

ok , Im lost?

you were serfing the web and you saw this exe file...

then you booted ubuntu and only get a command line?

and when you do a ls command you see nothing but a directory tree,,

its sound like it booted single user mode for somereason (and not mounting root-- but you should not see directorys..)

as stated try gdm (gnome display manager)

but also try a demsg command (deamond message aka your kernel error log)

and df -k (disk funtions -k will list size of all mounts and as a side effect show what is mounted)

other qustions? did you upgrade anything in ubuntu before the last boot?

I do not think the windows exe had anything to do with it, unless it was ment to kill Linux. but No OS should exacute a file from the web.

None the less, its an exe, compiled for windows, unless somebody has created a hybrid executable for windows/linux it definatly did nothing to the system.

Pierce

I agree, I guess my point is..

the only way a EXE could effect the Linux system is if,

A) the user was part of th e ADMIN group (the first user or any restricted user on XP)

B) the EXE wrote information to the harddrive in what it thought was blank (as windows can not read Linux partitions and shows them as blank)

C) the EXE was designed to look for Linux partition (83 in the file table header) and insert or remove something from it.. most unlikely as this is also a soalris swap partition so it would not be as effective

I think UBUNTU messed something up on a upgrade, I have found the easier a system is to use (as in does everything for the user possable) the easier it is to mess its self up.

It could also be a hardware failure (RAM most likely) that is just now showing up..

Sorry for the Stab about running exe's from the web, but sometimes Im an ass.

ok most of the time.. and woudl not help the problem.

Maybe he means a terminal is opening on startup of gnome. If thats the case you probably shutdown with the term open, I believe gnome dfaults to saving the session, so when you log back in it starts the previous session again. If you wont to stop this go to desktop>preferences>sesions uncheck save changes to sesion. If Im off base please clarify what you mean.

Maybe he means a terminal is opening on startup of gnome. If thats the case you probably shutdown with the term open,

thats exactly what happened. I know I can make Gnome boot into tty1 by booting to the Recovery Mode, but this was the standard boot process, booting to the GUI, and before I shut down Linux to boot to windows there were no Terminals open that I know of.

No there were no upgrades or software updates

Edited by Dragon

Maybe he means a terminal is opening on startup of gnome. If thats the case you probably shutdown with the term open,

thats exactly what happened. I know I can make Gnome boot into tty1 by booting to the Recovery Mode, but this was the standard boot process, booting to the GUI, and before I shut down Linux to boot to windows there were no Terminals open that I know of.

No there were no upgrades or software updates

In gnome close all open windows save the session, log out and then log in again then uncheck save session. I should have put that in my previous post.

good catch naraku9333, I missed that possability all together.

good catch naraku9333, I missed that possability all together.

I figured that it was the problem as the same thing has irritated me in the past. I always turn off auto session saving although I do see alot of usefulness in th feature.