He we go,

This is a computer that I had to fix at work (keep in mind this pic is after I STARTED CLEANING IT - it started off worse)

Suprisingly enough, it was actually a fairly decent PC (PIII 1GHZ, 256 RAM, Windows 2000

So I'm opening this up - What is the worst condition you've ever seen a computer in?

post-637-1134341681_thumb.jpg

Edited by xxkbxx

I've worked on a few Dells that were like that. I asked the people if they had forced air heat and if so did they ever change the furnace filter or cleaned out the ducts. Many of them were shoved under desks near the heat ducts. One was worse than that. The lady owned several cats. There was more fur in the PC than on her cats.

Yah...seen a few like that and possibly even worse.

Funny tho, some computers will shut down at a fairly light dusting, and others will run for years with enough dirt to make a garden in em..never know.

I've even found dead animals in computer cases before, one had a nest of mice in it, another had a dead bird.

Nice, ive worked on a computer completly coroded by salt. That was fun, metal just melted away from my fingers.

Everything wasnt just rusted, but was being held together by 1 or 2 molecules of rust.

Pull the powersupply plug from the hdd, and the head goes with it.....

Pierce

He we go,

This is a computer that I had to fix at work (keep in mind this pic is after I STARTED CLEANING IT - it started off worse)

Suprisingly enough, it was actually a fairly decent PC (PIII 1GHZ, 256 RAM, Windows 2000

So I'm opening this up - What is the worst condition you've ever seen a computer in?

My friend gave me a system once and said that it doesn't work. He got it from someone else that had built it. I opened it up and there was dust caked to every thing inside. There was dust in the video card fan, in a motherboard fan, an exhaust fan and all inside the power supply. I found out why it wouldn't work. The power supply was fried. It kills me, people pay gobs of money for systems and not even keep them clean.

My friend gave me a system once and said that it doesn't work. He got it from someone else that had built it. I opened it up and there was dust caked to every thing inside. There was dust in the video card fan, in a motherboard fan, an exhaust fan and all inside the power supply. I found out why it wouldn't work. The power supply was fried. It kills me, people pay gobs of money for systems and not even keep them clean.

Benefits of a Windowed case - constant reminders when to clean!

I for one have not seen anything that bad. The worst I have seen was in a garage for a new car dealer.

Funny thing is, this kind of filth could be minimized by filtering the fans and have them all blowing into the case (except for the power supply). I did that to mine and it really helped. i really only have to worry about cleaning it once a year now.

BH

Benefits of a Windowed case - constant reminders when to clean!

Sure is rough looking in that window with it on the floor shoved under a desk where most people keep them...

Good news everyone!

I just got done cleaning 2 more systems IDENTICAL to this one today - and by identical I mean totally (that includes the ammount of dust)

Fortunetly I found out they were from a warehouse environment, which resurected my hopes in society

Until... I cracked open an HP making a funny noise and - you guessed it - CAKED IN SOLID DUST AHH!