Home Network Windows Xp Pro/home Help!

Hi. I know Quite a bit about computers, but I simply cannot find a solution for this problem. I have a Home network consisting of A desktop Running Windows Xp Home edition, and a laptop running windows xp Professional edition. I would like to know if i can speak to a user on the desktop from the laptop using an already installed piece of software such as ms-dos. if not please explain why and please recommend a program that i dont have to install on both computers to make it work.

thank you.

L0u1s_Wu

Like Parrotgeek said net send.

However note that most people have turned off this feature (messenger service) since it has been hijacked by spammers. If you enable it, you will start getting mysterious popup ads which resemble a grey Internet Explorer window (most offering to turn off annoying popup windows which resemble grey internet explorer windows).You do not have to have IE open , just a connection to the internet to get this really useful spam .

I would instead suggest you get a LAN messenger client and install it on your machines.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/interchat.html

InterChat is a small but powerful chat program and network messenger, that allows you to chat over a Local Area Network (LAN). It automatically detects other users on the network that are using the InterChat client and allows you to chat with one or more users, or to send an alert message that will show as a small pop-up window on the users desktop.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/sendrec.html

SendRec enables you to send messages over a LAN. The program is protocol independent, comes with an easy to use interface. In addition to simple message sending, SendRec supports receipts/notification and QuickAnswers, which allow the receive to post a quick Yes/NO answer . SendRec must be installed on all other network machines, that you wish to communicate with.
  • 2 weeks later...