Danasoft.com Signature Info

Hello, I have been told by two people to remove my danasoft.com signature. This is the one with the IP info and OS info. To all those who have complained about it. Please read. This is straight from the danasoft.com site.

"The signature image is generated in real-time for each user that views it. Your IP address and other information are only visible to YOU, not to others, but because people see their own IP address and computer information displayed in the graphic, they think that their information can be seen by everyone!"

Edited by TJ3NN
I personally do not have any problem with it. I find it kind of amusing.

When i first found out that sigs. it really shock me that that user know my ip address. so i went to that site and found out the ip adress is only visible to user who browse it. so no big worries

Besttechie and the rest of the admin staff have agreed that those signatures will not be allowed on this forum.

Thanks.

Dragon.

Edited by Dragon

I would prefer an explanation to people about why this is totally harmless rather than censoring it. I can understand why it freaks people out as I was the first time I encountered it, but it is perfectly harmless. Educating people is better than caving in to fear in my opinion. People are only afraid of things they don't understand. You have to have an IP address so the internet can find you, the same way you have a public address so the mailman can find you. Someone better skilled than me should just explain this so people can be more enlightened instead of scared. Just my opinion.

Hi Everyone,

Those signatures are indeed harmless as many members here know. However, let me give you an example of why we don't allow them. Someone who is having PC problems whether it be spyware problems or just a problem with Windows will come to this forum and be looking through posts and see the sig, then possibly become worried that they are being spied on. You have to remember, just because you or someone else may know they are harmless, someone who is new the computer may not. Trust me, I have experimented and for a short period of time did allow those sigs until I saw members becoming paranoid.

As for educating people, yes you're right. However, if someone is having a problem with their computer they're going to come here for help with that specific issue first, before they want to learn something else (most of the time, anyway) I wouldn't want to scare away someone in need of help. I hope you see where I'm coming from. B)

B

Hi Everyone,

Those signatures are indeed harmless as many members here know. However, let me give you an example of why we don't allow them. Someone who is having PC problems whether it be spyware problems or just a problem with Windows will come to this forum and be looking through posts and see the sig, then possibly become worried that they are being spied on. You have to remember, just because you or someone else may know they are harmless, someone who is new the computer may not. Trust me, I have experimented and for a short period of time did allow those sigs until I saw members becoming paranoid.

As for educating people, yes you're right. However, if someone is having a problem with their computer they're going to come here for help with that specific issue first, before they want to learn something else (most of the time, anyway) I wouldn't want to scare away someone in need of help. I hope you see where I'm coming from. B)

B

Bad thing is that I(tjenn) put a disclamer under the signature telling people about it. I was educating them and I got censored and banned. I was willing to teach. I was willing to let people know about how danasoft.com achieved the signature. I think the signature is neat because a person can learn a lot about theur own system. I found out about danasoft.com, IP/TCP, UDP, and other net techie stuff by seeing the danasoft.com signature elsewhere. It perked my interests about technology. So, I see the signature as educational too.

The point is that the besttechie team has decide that thos esigs will not be used,

it is posted in the TOU here

I shall quote the section verbatim as listed at the above link

* Signatures including any script that reveals the the IP Address, Operating System or other identifiable information of another users computer, whether or not it only shows to the party viewing the signature, are not allowed.

Another point to look at for those that are going around the bans put in place.

* using other methods to avoid a ban placed on your account will result in further action, upto and including deletion of your account(s) upon creation, and being banned from the server side.
Edited by Dragon

I still like to err on the side of educating people. Maybe a disclaimer would help. Something like this:

The information displayed above is only visible to you. No one else can access this information. It is only a gimmick. This forum is dedicated to helping people fix their computer problems and learn. There is zero tolerance on this forum for malicious behavior so you are perfectly safe. If you have further concerns feel free to contact a mod.

This way people are educated instead of allowed to remain fearful of something so harmless. They are sure to run into this on other sites and this way allows them to surf more intelligently and confidently.

Edited by Makai

Any thoughts about removing the sig feature all together. That will ensure that this delicate problem will not rear it's ugly head down the road when another gizmo offends a few people. The sigs really add nothing to the charter of this site, which is to educate and inform, not entertain or provide billboard space.

Hi Everyone,

The decision is final. I want to make it clear that the decision over sigs such as the one we're discussing was decided long before this ever happened. While good points have been made, the decision to not allow sigs such as the ones which show you your IP, Browser, OS, etc will remain. I will be closing this thread. Have a great day. B)

B