Norton Internet Security 2003 (More Specificly Anti-Virus) won't update. It keeps giving me this when i update manually but it does neither auto of manual.

LU1860: LiveUpdate has detected a potential security compromise on your computer: one or more entries for Symantec LiveUpdate servers exist in your Windows hosts files.

A malicious entry in your hosts files could prevent LiveUpdate from retrieving updates for your Symantec products, including anti-virus updates. Generally, Symantec LiveUpdate server entries should not appear in your Windows hosts files.

the IP address on all of them say 127.0.0.1. It asks if I want to remove these entries and i say yes and it says it can't do it but tries to update. When it does it just stops and says it can't. I've already tried a link that it gave me to fix this prob over the internet and it don't work. What's up here. I swear I'm would dump norton in a heart beat if it weren't for some of the extra crap, and if I hadn't already paid for a subscripition. If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated.

Download Hijackthis , unzip it to a permanent (not temporary /temp folder) folder such as C:ProgramFiles/Hijackthis/Hijackthis.exe

Hijackthis

Download, unzip and extract to a permanent folder of your creation such as C:\ProgramFiles\Hijackthis\Hijackthis.exe

Run and choose scan and save logfile. Copy the contents of the notepad window which opens and post it here(in the hijackthis section) if you want further advice or analysis of the log.

You will see a bunch of entries prefixed by

These are your hosts file entries.

Most likely they are all entries from a virus set to block things like live update.

Boot to safe mode, scan with hijackthis , put a check by all the 01 entries and choose fix.

How to boot to safe mode.

Alternative method

Download Hoster . Press "Restore Original Hosts" and press "OK". Exit Program. This will restore the original deleted Hosts file.

Run live update and do a full system scan for the virus.

Additional tools

Mcafee stinger multivirus removal tool

Install and run

Spybot search and destroy

Ad aware personal form Lavasoft

Install, update,run, check for problems , fix problems.

A Squared trojan remover

Download, install, update, scan and fix.

Codestuf starter startup manager and process viewer (to use the process viewer area to kill process on a trojan or virus if needed to let you remove it with the removal tools.

ok where is the host file and I only get this stop error when trying to open in safe mode and the dern thing says to open in safe mode to troubleshoot. :( My system is runnin backwards. works in normal but don't in safe. this sucks.

ok where is the host file and I only get this stop error when trying to open in safe mode and the dern thing says to open in safe mode to troubleshoot. :( My system is runnin backwards. works in normal but don't in safe. this sucks.

In win9x it is

C:\Windows\Hosts

no file extension.

In XP

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts

(Assuming C: is your OS or Root drive)

You can single left click to select it, hold down the shift key and right click on it and choose "Open with" and choose notepad.

Make sure "always use" IS NOT CHECKED.

You can manually edit the contents,removing what is bad, then choosing file/ save as and in the file name put "Hosts" with the quotes and under file type choose all files and save to where you found it. But the suggestion of just selecting it and renaming it Hosts.old (you will get horrible warning about how it may screw up your system, ignore that) .Or just use hijackthis to fix the 01 entries and it will wipe them. Then run hoster to make a new one.

thanks The Terrorist 75 your advice fixed it. Thanks Pete C for telling me where to find the file. Unfotunately I can not get the system to boot into safe mode. But now i don't need it. Thanks.