I have had it with SP2.

I have tried 4 times to install it and get it working and I can't do it!!!

Here are the specs:

AMD 2500+ Barton (1.8Ghz)

512 RAM

Nvidea GeForce 5200

XP Pro SP1

EVERY time I install the SP2 (on CD from MS) I get the pop up that says "your Automatic Windows Update is not turned on" Well, of course it's not. It wants to automatically download SP2.

If I click on the "balloon" like it wants, it tries to open the "Security Console" and then my computer hangs.

Completely unresponsive. I can't open the console from control panel, either. What happens is the window tries to open and you see the title bar but then the rest of the window won't appear and the computer just locks up. If I try to open Windows Update from the control panel, the computer just reboots. I am glad that I can uninstall the sp2 and get it back to where it was to start with

I have followed JSKY's suggestions on how to install the SP2 and disabled EVERYTHING and I still can't get it in.

I'm thinking of trying to find a 'slipstreamed' version of XP Pro with SP2 and then maybe doing another fresh install but it's getting to the point that I just want to say screw it and just run XP with SP1. I have all the updates installed and I don't use IE or Outlook anyway so the risk of getting viruses is lessened. I have a good hardware firewall and I keep my anti-virus up to date as well as running Spybot S&D and SoftwareBlaster along with my AVG anti-virus.

Does ANYBODY have any advise to offer???

Edited by jimras

Well, I tried that and I couldn't do it thru the security console because the machine would lock up and I couldn't get to the windows update page because the computer would loop back to boot again every time I tried that!

Just for the record, I have a legal copy of WinXP. No copies or cracks going on here.

I wouldn't give a rip about it except I heard that there will soon be a SP3 and I probably couldn't upgrade to that without SP2 being installed.

Under SP1, everything works just fine.

hi jimras

i also have the sp2 cd and when ever

ive reinstalled i havent had any trouble

tho it may help to set your up dates

to automatic un til it is installed

ide like to help but it has me stumped

try setting your java and active x to default

look in advanced and see if the java boxes are checked i understand

sp2 needs java script.

not sure if this will help

hope you get it sorted

marty

my copy of XP Home was SP2 to start with and i have had far less trouble than my old 98se. I have always heard though that the SP2 upgrade is kinda crappy. if you have the cash or you are wanting to build a new system ( or buy a new system) get XP SP2 version. I think it is far more stable.

Well, I gotta tell you, I've just about had it with SP2

My latest try was to make a slipstreamed CD using my XP Pro CD and my SP2 CD. My XP pro has SP1 already in it.

I used a program called Autostream to make the slipstreamed .iso and then burned it out to a CD with Deep burner.

I then went to install it on a clean, formatted (ntfs) 80 gig HD that I put in the machine all by itself (set as Master) and did a clean install.

All went fine until the computer had to restart and it hung up on the black "Windows XP Pro" screen. It just hung up for about 5 minutes. I shut it off and restarted it and then it went to the actual log in. The little balloon in the taskbar came up saying that I din't have any anti virus installed and so the shield was red. I clicked on the red shield and the security center tried to open and the computer hung up again. Just locked up tight.

Restarted again and tried to get to the windows update and the computer locks up for about 10 seconds and then reboots.

Can't be a virus because it's a clean install on a clean HD.

Could it be a bad CD for the SP2?? That's about the ONLY think I can think of.

Right now, everything works OK under SP1 and I have all updates in EXCEPT SP2.

I understand that there will be a SP3 somewhere down the road and if I don't have 2 installed, will I be able to install 3????

Check you install disk (SP2) to see if it has any marks or smudges on it.

It does sound like a problem with your CD, and you should allow auto updates to run.

Keep a firewall running if you do have to use the M$ update site to get the updates you need for SP2.

OR!!! you could download the full version of XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers: SP2 For IT Professionals

Having SP1 installed already should not be a problem. SP2 will automatically replace or rewrite what it needs, and remove any update used for only SP1.

Good Luck

JSKY