Hello all.

I have noticed lately when viewing some videos (I believe mostly .WMV files) occasionally the quality will be terrible. There is usually some combination of weird lines and double images.

I have attached an example of a movie trailer I was trying to view.post-801-1132948341_thumb.jpg

I am using Windows Media 10 with all updates, Windows XP SP2.

I figured it could be a codec but there are so many I didn't know where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MODOK
Hello all.

I have noticed lately when viewing some videos (I believe mostly .WMV files) occasionally the quality will be terrible. There is usually some combination of weird lines and double images.

<snip?

I am using Windows Media 10 with all updates, Windows XP SP2.

I figured it could be a codec but there are so many I didn't know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

This is general instructions for viewing most weird and wonderful video files. (mpegs, avis etc).

Search for and download a FREE program called GSPOT. Open one of the programs with it.

It will tell you both the Video and Audio codecs you need.

Search for the codecs you need by name and download and install them. If you find a pay only

codec, search again as you usually can find a free one that will work fine.

Remember to get both the video and audio codec if needed. Some people only install the video

codec and have no sound.

Gspot may also tell you that you already have everything you need to view the file. In that case, you

could possibly seach to find a newer more up to date codec but more likely you just have lousy files.

MM