Funny Story About Ad-aware...kinda.

Ok, think this is funny/kinda sad but here it goes. This girl I know isnt that knowledgeable about computers. And her computer has been slowing down on her with spyware. She asked me for help and I loaded Ad-aware onto her computer to help clean it up along with Spy-bot and then Spyware Blaster to help protect in the future. Her computer started working great and she was greatfull.

Now the funny part. It was showing me what was on her computer and I told that she should keep away from downloading programs you dont know much about like Bonzi buddy for example and that it was part of the problem. She now wants to file a lawsuit against me cause she claims I loaded on a computer program that spys on her and tells me everything she does, and she is claiming Ad-aware SE is that program. I tried explaining what it really was but she is very stubburn and told me I am full of lies.

I thought it was funny and wanted to share. Tell me what you think.

Edited by Deucehearts

OOOhhhhhhh

Sweet revenge, that.

Yeah, tell her your real sorry and you'll fix it back to the way it was before.

Then do it and get the heck away from her!!!!

Kinda snotty but hey, she started it!

LOL, geez, that's like someone inviting you into their house and then charging you with trespassing!

I worked for a company that had some very shady business practices (which is why I QUIT, couldn't be in sales and lie to customers!). I can't tell you how many customers threatened to sue---guess what? It never happened! Folks would rather bellyache and threaten than go through the time and money to sue.

I hope you'll have a "less than helpful attitude" when she calls you with computer problems again, at least I hope so (or have her sign some sort of contract beforehand). Too bad for her!

Liz

I hope you'll have a "less than helpful attitude" when she calls you with computer problems again, at least I hope so (or have her sign some sort of contract beforehand). Too bad for her!

Liz

And then charge her 10x the going rate.

I wouldn't do that.. That would just give her another reason to be mad and complain if something else went wrong afterwards..

I actually stopped fixin' friends & family's computers for this reason: Once you're done anything that goes wrong from that point on becomes your fault. Delete the IE cache and they get a virus? It's your fault! Run Ad-Aware and their video driver becomes corrupted from using a poorly written game? It's your fault!

Enough. Take it to someone who gets paid to put up with that.

Now that is funny. Tell her you really work for the IRS. And that you never put anything on there, just sent everything you could find back to the main office. And that she should be getting a court order for tax evasion real soon.

Maybe the better way would be to just work with her, teaching her about the programs you used and how when things are cleaned out, it shows in the log what they are/were. Then very patiently teach her that some things are dangerous to her and her computer. And show her these boards, so she can become a member and get help as she tries to learn things on her own plus have some fun while she's here too.

Sometimes us gals get so insecure, scared etc. that we lash out in fear and ignorance, and what we really want is to have someone patiently teach us so we can deal with stuff on our own. We don't like not knowing how to be safe anywhere with anything, so teach us please. We hate being out of control, but that is often our emotional makeup, so take it with a grain of salt please or the whole salt shaker if needed, plus bring the crying towel while you help us see the error of our ways. And teaching patiently, (without confrontation, and without telling us in so many words how stupid we are to have done something) works miracles. Trust me on that one.

Also remember the old saying, men are from Mars, women are from Venus. So the language interaction is tricky in all areas of communication about anything between the two.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Ok, think this is funny/kinda sad but here it goes. This girl I know isnt that knowledgeable about computers. And her computer has been slowing down on her with spyware. She asked me for help and I loaded Ad-aware onto her computer to help clean it up along with Spy-bot and then Spyware Blaster to help protect in the future. Her computer started working great and she was greatfull.

Now the funny part. It was showing me what was on her computer and I told that she should keep away from downloading programs you dont know much about like Bonzi buddy for example and that it was part of the problem. She now wants to file a lawsuit against me cause she claims I loaded on a computer program that spys on her and tells me everything she does, and she is claiming Ad-aware SE is that program. I tried explaining what it really was but she is very stubburn and told me I am full of lies.

I thought it was funny and wanted to share. Tell me what you think.

that was so funny ad-aware being spyware what the freak lol

Maybe the better way would be to just work with her, teaching her about the programs you used and how when things are cleaned out, it shows in the log what they are/were. ...

Hmm, did somebody recognize themselves in this little story, huh? :D

I guess I, at least, jumped to the conclusion that that person was just an angry, lawsuit happy, ungrateful witch. (Writing that out makes me feel a bit guilty.) Not that I have never dealt with that type of person before (which is why I took the jump; been there, done that).

Then there's the issue of dealing with people who are so angry, for whatever reason, you can't teach them. They make you feel like you're just trying to make excuses for bunging up their computer or are trying to get OUT of fixing it (which, in their minds, was working perfectly before you got there -- why they forget the reason I'm there in the first place was to fix what was already messed up, I'll never understand).

I've gotten too cynical, and as I've done in other areas of interest, once that happens I bail out. I got out of; auto repair, retailing, and manufacturing when I got too cynical about those lines of business (I'm at that point in my current line), and now I don't fix anyone's computer (except for the basics, which also explains why I'm getting behind the curve in the technical stuff -- I don't do it so much any more).

On The Other Hand: I did enjoy teaching the willing! That was always both challenging and fun. And in almost every case, the student surpassed the teacher in no time at all. A little humbling, but I like to think I put the spark of interest in them that made them pursue the subject further.

I sure didn't intend for this reply to turn into confessions of a mad man. :D

I'ld have to agree with the "Teach her" folks here

If she's willing to listen and let you try, bring her here and we'll justify your methods, and then you can teach her what she needs to know.

At least this way you'll find out if she's just "lashing out" in fear of the unknown, or one of those kinda people who don't appreciate good help, and want to sue yer butt. I wouldn't worry about this either if she's the second kind of person, she wouldn't get past the front door of any good lawyer on this one.

Edited by Chappy